Cancel Culture!!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
It seems clear from this thread that either people don't know what cancel culture is or they know full well what it is and don't want to admit they support it.

Cancel culture is the opposite of the free market. It is about controlling it. It is not exclusive to either political ideology but it is more prevalent in certain areas. Entertainment on the left and religion on the right for example.

It is not something that should be dismissed the way some people in this thread are doing. One thing about the SJW mob, they will never be satisfied, their need to control what people think for their own good will never be sated.

It's particularly dangerous right now because you have powerful entities actively engaging in it. The media, large corporations, government bureaucracies, etc. The time to do something is before the come for something you do care about...which they will.
If you wait around long enough, it’ll bite those that started it, in the ass.
For instance.

From American Airlines to Texas Lt Governor

“Earlier this morning, the Texas State Senate passed legislation with provisions that limit voting access. To make American’s stance clear: We are strongly opposed to this bill and others like it. As a Texas-based business, we must stand up for the rights of our team members and customers who call Texas home, and honor the sacrifices made by generations of Americans to protect and expand the right to vote.

Voting is the hallmark of our democracy, and is the foundation of our great country. We value the democratic process and believe every eligible American should be allowed to exercise their right to vote, no matter which political party or candidate they support.

We acknowledge how difficult this is for many who have fought to secure and exercise their constitutional right to vote. Any legislation dealing with how elections are conducted must ensure ballot integrity and security while making it easier to vote, not harder. At American, we believe we should break down barriers to diversity, equity and inclusion in our society – not create them.”

Texas Lt Gov response.
“As Lt. Governor of Texas, I am stunned that American Airlines would put out a statement saying ‘we are strongly opposed to this bill’ just minutes after their government relations representative called my office and admitted that neither he nor the American Airlines CEO had actually read the legislation.

“We heard these same outcries claiming voter suppression in 2011 when Texas passed the photo voter ID bill. In fact, just the opposite occurred. Voter turnout in Texas soared from 7,993,851 in 2012 to 11,144,040 in 2020, a 39 percent increase. Gubernatorial election voter turnout has increased by 76 percent since photo voter ID was passed.

“Texans are fed up with corporations that don’t share our values trying to dictate public policy. The majority of Texans support maintaining the integrity of our elections, which is why I made it a priority this legislative session. Senate Bill 7 includes comprehensive reforms that will ensure voting in Texas is consistent statewide and secure.

“By the way, this is the same American Airlines that in 2017 led the fight to try to force us to allow boys to play girls sports in Texas and take away their scholarships. They are probably still fighting for that today and it is likely they have not read Senate Bill 29 either.”
The people who are reading the bills are finally calling out everyone who didn’t. I’m hopeful that it’ll get to the point where every American reads the bills. And Really wake up.

Sep 3, 2010
If you wait around long enough, it’ll bite those that started it, in the ass.
For instance.

From American Airlines to Texas Lt Governor

“Earlier this morning, the Texas State Senate passed legislation with provisions that limit voting access. To make American’s stance clear: We are strongly opposed to this bill and others like it. As a Texas-based business, we must stand up for the rights of our team members and customers who call Texas home, and honor the sacrifices made by generations of Americans to protect and expand the right to vote.

Voting is the hallmark of our democracy, and is the foundation of our great country. We value the democratic process and believe every eligible American should be allowed to exercise their right to vote, no matter which political party or candidate they support.

We acknowledge how difficult this is for many who have fought to secure and exercise their constitutional right to vote. Any legislation dealing with how elections are conducted must ensure ballot integrity and security while making it easier to vote, not harder. At American, we believe we should break down barriers to diversity, equity and inclusion in our society – not create them.”

Texas Lt Gov response.
“As Lt. Governor of Texas, I am stunned that American Airlines would put out a statement saying ‘we are strongly opposed to this bill’ just minutes after their government relations representative called my office and admitted that neither he nor the American Airlines CEO had actually read the legislation.

“We heard these same outcries claiming voter suppression in 2011 when Texas passed the photo voter ID bill. In fact, just the opposite occurred. Voter turnout in Texas soared from 7,993,851 in 2012 to 11,144,040 in 2020, a 39 percent increase. Gubernatorial election voter turnout has increased by 76 percent since photo voter ID was passed.

“Texans are fed up with corporations that don’t share our values trying to dictate public policy. The majority of Texans support maintaining the integrity of our elections, which is why I made it a priority this legislative session. Senate Bill 7 includes comprehensive reforms that will ensure voting in Texas is consistent statewide and secure.

“By the way, this is the same American Airlines that in 2017 led the fight to try to force us to allow boys to play girls sports in Texas and take away their scholarships. They are probably still fighting for that today and it is likely they have not read Senate Bill 29 either.”
The people who are reading the bills are finally calling out everyone who didn’t. I’m hopeful that it’ll get to the point where every American reads the bills. And Really wake up.
It is beyond me, as a business person, why a CEO would volunteer to make a statement not only obviously false but guaranteed to piss off half of your customer base. It's like a race to wokeness and self destruction and it makes no sense.

Sep 3, 2010
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1379493153703481348
Yep. Pulled it from a city that is 51% black and moved it to a city that is 75% white. I'm sure that all of the minorities in Atlanta that were counting on the economic boom of all star week are dancing in the streets right now. Nice move MLB! I haven't gotten into the weeds but it appears that it may actually be harder to vote in Colorado than it is in Georgia:facepalm:. It's like a circular firing squad at this point.

TrevB11

Wrangler
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Yep. Pulled it from a city that is 51% black and moved it to a city that is 75% white. I'm sure that all of the minorities in Atlanta that were counting on the economic boom of all star week are dancing in the streets right now. Nice move MLB! I haven't gotten into the weeds but it appears that it may actually be harder to vote in Colorado than it is in Georgia:facepalm:. It's like a circular firing squad at this point.
I would very much like the know what the common Atlantian (not sure spelling) thinks of this move. It would have been great for their local economy on so many levels. I dont think the voting law they passed is good on the surface, have not dove too much into the finer print of the law, but i also think this is very much a knee jerk recation to this situation by the MLB.

Sep 3, 2010
I would very much like the know what the common Atlantian (not sure spelling) thinks of this move. It would have been great for their local economy on so many levels. I dont think the voting law they passed is good on the surface, have not dove too much into the finer print of the law, but i also think this is very much a knee jerk recation to this situation by the MLB.
The estimates that I have seen state the economic impact at around $100 million.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Nice move MLB! I haven't gotten into the weeds but it appears that it may actually be harder to vote in Colorado than it is in Georgia:facepalm:. It's like a circular firing squad at this point.
I'm not sure about the voting law differences. I do know that in Colorado that EVERY single registered voter is mailed a absentee ballot they can fill out and return during elections.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I also read that Colorado also has stricter voting laws than just passed in Georgia. Makes no sense at all!

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
Since only about 10% of our population really cares about politics you can bet 95% of Atlantans are either not happy or don’t care because they don’t give a rip about baseball.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
It would be an interesting poll. The people that benefit from the All Star game get the exact same benefit 82 times per year. This year the benefit will likely be bigger the last 41 times this year and the one they lose is definitely going to have an impact.

But for all the right wing bluster about how the voting laws aren't violated in Georgia's new law the thing people should be concerned about is that the state can overturn local results. Back in early December when Trump called the state and said y'all need to find some votes. The election officials called bs on that but now that can be a thing in Georgia. And if you are a right winger thinking that's fine because it's Georgia, remember none of the voting rights of those who were supposedly were disenfranchised have been impacted. So it's entirely possible in 4 years Stacy Abrams is the governor of the state and she is appointing a commission to review ballot activity and remove votes without oversight.

That's what corporations are fighting.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
I\
But for all the right wing bluster about how the voting laws aren't violated in Georgia's new law the thing people should be concerned about is that the state can overturn local results. Back in early December when Trump called the state and said y'all need to find some votes. The election officials called bs on that but now that can be a thing in Georgia. And if you are a right winger thinking that's fine because it's Georgia, remember none of the voting rights of those who were supposedly were disenfranchised have been impacted. So it's entirely possible in 4 years Stacy Abrams is the governor of the state and she is appointing a commission to review ballot activity and remove votes without oversight.
If your talking about the "find the fraud" thing.. it never happened.. the press made it up more left wing lying..

CBC News first published this Associated Press report on Jan. 9, 2021. It was updated by the AP on March 15, 2021, to correct that The Associated Press, based on information provided by a source, erroneously reported that Trump pressed the investigator to "find the fraud" and said it would make the investigator a national hero. A recording of the call made public two months later revealed that Trump did not say either and instead said that if the investigator looked into Fulton County the investigator would "find things that are gonna be unbelievable."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/washington-post-now-says-trump-203143859.html

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
If your talking about the "find the fraud" thing.. it never happened.. the press made it up more left wing lying..

CBC News first published this Associated Press report on Jan. 9, 2021. It was updated by the AP on March 15, 2021, to correct that The Associated Press, based on information provided by a source, erroneously reported that Trump pressed the investigator to "find the fraud" and said it would make the investigator a national hero. A recording of the call made public two months later revealed that Trump did not say either and instead said that if the investigator looked into Fulton County the investigator would "find things that are gonna be unbelievable."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/washington-post-now-says-trump-203143859.html
I... I don't really see how that's any better... He was still pushing a fake voter fraud conspiracy... I guess it's less bad?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I... I don't really see how that's any better... He was still pushing a fake voter fraud conspiracy... I guess it's less bad?
It's not so much about what Trump did as it is how the media presents it. Regardless of whether a person is satan or a saint, the media should report the facts and let us make up our own mind. Not twist things to sound more sinister or less sinister than they actually did based on how the media wants us to perceive that person.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
It is beyond me, as a business person, why a CEO would volunteer to make a statement not only obviously false but guaranteed to piss off half of your customer base. It's like a race to wokeness and self destruction and it makes no sense.
Because the half that they are pissing off isn't on twitter. Companies are terrified of the 5% of people that use social media for activism. They don't really care about any of this... they are doing it for their bottom line because they don't want to be the next big story: "Company doesn't put out statement supporting X cause, why are they anti-X cause? Do they hate X? Probably! Next story, someone was mean to someone else on the subway, it's definitely RACISM".

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The estimates that I have seen state the economic impact at around $100 million.
Yet we have NOT boycotted the upcoming winter Olympics in freaking CHINA. This crap has to stop. Americans in one state aren't the enemies of Americans in other states...this is clearly internal political BS and it's being raised to the highest power rather than just making amends or even challenging a law in court instead...so childish. Maybe I'm in the minority, but the more "woke" sports get, the less I watch. They (Woke Sports leagues and Corporations) are going to shoot themselves in the foot one of these days so bad they can't stop the bleeding. Actually they may have already.

Last edited: