Cancel Culture!!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
trying to get as much of those in as I can before I'm forced into false teeth...Then I can gum down a Milky Way
I had a Haribo Sour S'getti addiction for a while... I ate them so often that it literally hurt my teeth to eat them. I had to stop at that point. Those sour ribbons they make were my replacement addiction. Not quite as taxing on the teeth.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Definitely spoken like someone who doesn't give a rats ass...
I do have a problem with companies becoming "social justice warriors," mostly because it's based most typically on nonsense. Btw, I don't lose sleep over it at all...but might lose weight. ;-)

Btw, would love to see a company do a parody of all the social justice warrior company ads. Kind of like the I need a hero ad for the Kia Niro a few years back about how hard it is to be an Ecowarrior. That would sell some stuff now.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I do have a problem with companies becoming "social justice warriors," mostly because it's based most typically on nonsense. Btw, I don't lose sleep over it at all...but might lose weight. ;-)
this is where I don't go for the ride for the argument.

Some conservatives want corporations to be treated like individuals or persons to extend Religious Freedom or to protect their religious freedoms as if they were a person.
BUT
On the same side of the coin reject the notion that corporation should hold social position and want to punish companies who act as a person would.

and on the same side of the same coin.

Some Dems want companies to be responsible as a person if they deny service to someone based on their beliefs.

The debate over the idea of Corporate Personhood has been dating back to 1886 (first SCOTUS discussion around the topic) and has been ongoing and raging along ever since.

It is OBVIOUS at this point, both sides WANT to keep the Corporate Personhood idea alive because they have been using it for 140 years now in DC to advance Political Agendas!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
this is where I don't go for the ride for the argument.

Some conservatives want corporations to be treated like individuals or persons to extend Religious Freedom or to protect their religious freedoms as if they were a person.
BUT
On the same side of the coin reject the notion that corporation should hold social position and want to punish companies who act as a person would.

and on the same side of the same coin.

Some Dems want companies to be responsible as a person if they deny service to someone based on their beliefs.

The debate over the idea of Corporate Personhood has been dating back to 1886 (first SCOTUS discussion around the topic) and has been ongoing and raging along ever since.

It is OBVIOUS at this point, both sides WANT to keep the Corporate Personhood idea alive because they have been using it for 140 years now in DC to advance Political Agendas!
I don't believe in punishing anyone for their beliefs or "values." However, I don't want anti "values" being shoved down our throats every time one try's to escape things by turning on the tv. It's really not a big deal, it's just a reflection of what many see as a dying culture being replaced by something they don't recognize...there's not much anger anymore, just kind of sadness and sense of failure more than anything else.

"Carry on my wayward America...hope there's peace when you are done...lay your weary head to rest...don't you cry no more."

We used to be more united in thought as Americans, of that I have no doubt. I also have no doubt that those days aren't coming back. It just firms up many who believe the world is fallen...just... we can see it all the more clearly now by looking in the mirror.

Don't mean to be depressing...it's just M&M's...but why do they have to make a statement? They are just M&M's...it's ridiculous in it's overreach..this out of control cultural progressivism.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Don't mean to be depressing...it's just M&M's...but why do they have to make a statement? They are just M&M's...it's ridiculous in it's overreach..this out of control cultural progressivism.
Just M&Ms?

6th largest privately held company in the US
4th richest family in the US

It isn't just M&Ms. It is one of Americas richest families and one of its large employers making a very loud and public statement and investing their own
Money to do so

Someday history documentaries will talk about this period and these companies during this time of change

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Just M&Ms?

6th largest privately held company in the US
4th richest family in the US

It isn't just M&Ms. It is one of Americas richest families and one of its large employers making a very loud and public statement and investing their own
Money to do so

Someday history documentaries will talk about this period and these companies during this time of change
My post wasn't directed only at M&M but at American Advertising in general recently and forced acceptance of change. I firmly believe in an inclusive and diverse society, one that can and does accept ALL others...even those who disagree with progressivism's tactics. Which M&M is the American Patriot family man that keeps his family together through his hard work, faith, and love? The M&M who teaches children to honor their fathers and mothers and to live within boundaries set by their maker? Is that guy represented and celebrated in diversity these days, or is he relegated to the sideline and called names? How inclusive and diverse is that society? Just a silly question on a silly topic to ponder. I will still eat an m&m or two, my reaction here was just an opinion on the bigger topic of "woke" advertising.

Last edited:

Vakarian74

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 2, 2010
Oklahoma City
This is idiotic. If everyone got this upset about what every companies political stances were we would die naked and starving.

This one is especially true. Carhartt has a corner on decent winter wear in the north. Their CEO could admit on live television he eats babies for satan and I'm not giving up my bibs. It's like the dumba$$es throwing away their nikes because some dude made them realize the NFL played the national anthem before games. The left did the same thing over Chick-fil-A so this stupid stuff cuts both ways. Personally if I want to have a chicken sammie when it's -10 I'm not really concerned about the politics of a random CEO.
We should all boycott Chick-fil-a until they make spicy nugs.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
My post wasn't directed only at M&M but at American Advertising in general recently and forced acceptance of change. I firmly believe in an inclusive and diverse society, one that can and does accept ALL others...even those who disagree with progressivism's tactics. Which M&M is the American Patriot family man that keeps his family together through his hard work, faith, and love? The M&M who teaches children to honor their fathers and mothers and to live within boundaries set by their maker? Is that guy represented and celebrated in diversity these days, or is he relegated to the sideline and called names? How inclusive and diverse is that society? Just a silly question on a silly topic to ponder. I will still eat an m&m or two, my reaction here was just an opinion on the bigger topic of "woke" advertising.
LOL at "forced acceptance of change".

You don't want to change. Don't buy M&M's.

Advertising decisions are made with one thought in mind....selling as much of the product as possible to as many people as possible.

All so called "woke" advertising actually is is advertisers and business people deciding not to continue promoting old stereotypes that you feel comfortable with in the hopes of selling more product as public opinion about those old stereotypes changes.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
All so called "woke" advertising actually is is advertisers and business people deciding not to continue promoting old stereotypes that you feel comfortable with in the hopes of selling more product as public opinion about those old stereotypes changes.
People are going to eventually realize. Although very slowly it appears, that the stereotypes of people growing up in the 70's and 80's are being torn down and rebuilt for the new generation. People are also going to realize the new generation that is absorbing all of these cultural shifts in advertising, activism, social justice already out number them.

Millennials and their children make up 139 million of the US population and is still gowning

Boomers and their Children make up only 136 Million of the US population as of 2020 and is rapidly declining daily. An avg of 1 member of the Baby Boomer generation passes away every 17 seconds in the US.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
People are going to eventually realize. Although very slowly it appears, that the stereotypes of people growing up in the 70's and 80's are being torn down and rebuilt for the new generation. People are also going to realize the new generation that is absorbing all of these cultural shifts in advertising, activism, social justice already out number them.

Millennials and their children make up 139 million of the US population and is still gowning

Boomers and their Children make up only 136 Million of the US population as of 2020 and is rapidly declining daily. An avg of 1 member of the Baby Boomer generation passes away every 17 seconds in the US.
The overwhelming majority of corporations, particularly publicly owned corporations, aren't changing anything just to advance some "woke" agenda (whatever the heck that means). They're making changes they believe are going to increase earnings and profits.

Last edited:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
If any of you guys haven't watched this weeks episode of "American Auto", you should. It is very relevant to this discussion and pokes fun at both sides.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
LOL at "forced acceptance of change".

You don't want to change. Don't buy M&M's.

Advertising decisions are made with one thought in mind....selling as much of the product as possible to as many people as possible.

Yep the new stereotype is that the old ones are mostly bad, while new prejudice is now considered mostly good. Because it's prejudice against old morals, religion, and nationalism. However, both premises are stereotyping and marginalizing some Americans while ONLY championing the ones who agree with them.

When do we get past that? "Woke" is a catch term for describing the thought that...Hey "I'm right because I'm modern and you are wrong because you are not." "Woke" is prejudice championing old victims ONLY to replace them with new ones who are now deemed the "enemies" of progress or "woke-ness."

I will still buy M&M's I like the peanut ones!

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Yep the new stereotype is that the old ones are mostly bad, while new prejudice is now considered mostly good. Because it's prejudice against old morals, religion, and nationalism. However, both premises are stereotyping and marginalizing some Americans while ONLY championing the ones who agree with them.

When do we get past that? "Woke" is a catch term for describing the thought that...Hey "I'm right because I'm modern and you are wrong because you are not." "Woke" is prejudice championing old victims ONLY to replace them with new ones who are now deemed the "enemies" of progress or "woke-ness."

Lots of words. Lots of nonsense.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Lots of words. Lots of nonsense.
Lot's of "woke"...lots of hypocrisy...

Is one "woke" when he doesn't believe in "woke" terminology and action? Red pill / Blue pill? Neither pill? A choice to not see marginalization because of bias is the same as the past...nothing has changed in that regard, "woke" is just flipping that on it's head.

Last edited:

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Lot's of "woke"...lots of hypocrisy...

Is one "woke" when he doesn't believe in "woke" terminology and action? Red pill / Blue pill? Neither pill? A choice to not see marginalization because of bias is the same as the past...nothing has changed in that regard, "woke" is just flipping that on it's head.
More words.

More nonsense.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

You're a Christian, right? If so, I think the only thing we should care about really is if a company is promoting sinful/immoral behavior. When companies cross that line, we should be willing to stop supporting them in my opinion. I don't think that means we have to openly protest them, etc.... Just simply stop buying their stuff or using their services.

Complaining on a message board about their advertising, but then saying you'll buy their product anyway seems.......unproductive?