Cale Gundy resigns

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Now that's not entirely true, they are eat up with culture down there. If you're into pimping out cheerleaders, they got that. If you are into smacking women around, they are down for that action. If you are into looking the other way when young adults cause a problem, get on down to Norman Town. If you believe boys will be boys have they got a place for you.
He said "good culture".

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
I like how you guys talk hard :poo: on Gundy, then try to steal his coaching theory.

Sorry, still no good culture of any kind coming from Norman.
I dont know waht his coaching theory is but if it amounts to 1 conference title 16 years, I doubt it's veracity.

As far as OU goes, definitely a good culture change for sure. Very glad to see it. You should like it too

Apr 13, 2021
Northern California
You are entitled to your opinion. But society doesnt really care how you feel about this issue. It's a known double standard and it isnt going to change any time soon because the black community wishes to keep using it in their rap songs. And nobody is going to tell them to stop. They wouldnt stop anyway. So get used to it.

If they had win first culture, Gundy would still be the wrs coach. They have a new "accountability" culture with Venables, which is another thing you'll have to get used to.
Thanks, my sides are hurting. The denial is so deep. Tell me more. Venables wasn't clean when he coached at OU. Now OU is going to represent "accountability", in NCAA college football, by firing position coaches. God that is hilarious. The boys will be boys was great too. Another gooner classic. All time great post. Good news is I don't have my identity wrapped up in society validating my feelings. I didn't go to OU.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Venables is exactly what OU needed after the humiliation of last November/December. Their small minded fanbase is lapping up the over-caffeinated tent revival schtick and are whipped into a frenzy about how great they're about to be. Lucky for them, they have 3 cupcakes to start the season and at 3-0 Norman is going to be puffing out their chest like never before.
That schtick is also going to be his downfall. Instead of managing expectations until a single snap is taken, they now expect OU to be a top 5 team and run through the B12 with a 40% new roster, new QB, new staff, etc. The shine is going to come off really quick once they struggle in conference play. Just look at how the fans turned on their own team (especially their QB) at the start of last year - even though they were undefeated. They'll give him a few years due to the proverbial "he needs to get his guys in here" asterisk. But a few years later, especially into an SEC schedule where they don't sniff conference championships, and he's going to get run out of town just like they did to him the first stint.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Thanks, my sides are hurting. The denial is so deep. Tell me more. Venables wasn't clean when he coached at OU. Now OU is going to represent "accountability", in NCAA college football, by firing position coaches. God that is hilarious. The boys will be boys was great too. Another gooner classic. All time great post. Good news is I don't have my identity wrapped up in society validating my feelings. I didn't go to OU.
Yep, I'm excited. Players need accountability, the last staff let them get away with too much. Being late for meetings, or workouts and getting away with it if they were veterans. Venables said it was soo relaxed when he got there. If you recall, last summer, several players were involved in armed robbery, another guy petty larceny and DUI. Another kid had a DUI in 2020. In 2019 another player had a public intox and domestic violence. had a pretty quiet 2018 but had 5 arrests in 2017

But zero of these issues since Venables was hired. Not many off seasons under the previous staff were this quiet for players. A welcome change.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Venables is exactly what OU needed after the humiliation of last November/December. Their small minded fanbase is lapping up the over-caffeinated tent revival schtick and are whipped into a frenzy about how great they're about to be. Lucky for them, they have 3 cupcakes to start the season and at 3-0 Norman is going to be puffing out their chest like never before.
That schtick is also going to be his downfall. Instead of managing expectations until a single snap is taken, they now expect OU to be a top 5 team and run through the B12 with a 40% new roster, new QB, new staff, etc. The shine is going to come off really quick once they struggle in conference play. Just look at how the fans turned on their own team (especially their QB) at the start of last year - even though they were undefeated. They'll give him a few years due to the proverbial "he needs to get his guys in here" asterisk. But a few years later, especially into an SEC schedule where they don't sniff conference championships, and he's going to get run out of town just like they did to him the first stint.
So, you think Venables is unable to manage expectations? Like, he just doesnt know how, or what? You conflate what he has control over (his players, his team), and what he has no control over (fans, and media).

None of that stuff matters to the team though. They do their own thing and the fans and media do their own thing.

I'm super pumped. He's building a monster in Norman and it all starts with recruiting elite players on both sides of the ball. If there's anyone in this sport who knows what a champion looks like, it's the guy who has coached in 8 national championship games.

Only 1 coach in the history of this sport has been to more national championship games.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
So, you think Venables is unable to manage expectations? Like, he just doesnt know how, or what? You conflate what he has control over (his players, his team), and what he has no control over (fans, and media).

None of that stuff matters to the team though. They do their own thing and the fans and media do their own thing.

I'm super pumped. He's building a monster in Norman and it all starts with recruiting elite players on both sides of the ball. If there's anyone in this sport who knows what a champion looks like, it's the guy who has coached in 8 national championship games.

Only 1 coach in the history of this sport has been to more national championship games.
Your response could not be a more perfect illustration of my post. You're guzzling the Kool-Aid before it's even been set on the table.

Apr 13, 2021
Northern California
Players don't come to OU to follow the rules. They come to OU because they don't have to follow rules. Gundy overwhelmingly recruits rule followers (good family, cares about football) and they are not perfect.

BV is hyping this just like most first time head coaches. What else is he going to sell? Also, Cale met his demise due to current players not following BV "new" rules. Doesn't seem like the players were getting the message. Now go back and look at Gundy's first year. BV would be run out of town if he had the sack to do what Mike Gundy did at oSu in 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Gundy
Gundy's first season saw the expulsion of eleven players from the team and the Cowboys struggled to a 4–7 record winning only one Big 12 conference game.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Your response could not be a more perfect illustration of my post. You're guzzling the Kool-Aid before it's even been set on the table.
Cool, but there was a qestion up there.

"So, you think Venables is unable to manage expectations? Like, he just doesnt know how, or what? You conflate what he has control over (his players, his team), and what he has no control over (fans, and media)."

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Players don't come to OU to follow the rules. They come to OU because they don't have to follow rules. Gundy overwhelmingly recruits rule followers (good family, cares about football) and they are not perfect.

BV is hyping this just like most first time head coaches. What else is he going to sell? Also, Cale met his demise due to current players not following BV "new" rules. Doesn't seem like the players were getting the message. Now go back and look at Gundy's first year. BV would be run out of town if he had the sack to do what Mike Gundy did at oSu in 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Gundy
Gundy's first season saw the expulsion of eleven players from the team and the Cowboys struggled to a 4–7 record winning only one Big 12 conference game.
They come to play football, and that means following Venables' rules.

what else is he going to sell? himself and his staff. and his way of doing things. It's apparently what kids these days want to be affiliated with since they keep committing to play for him. he has nothing else to sell right now since there's no tape of his team on the field yet. imagine that, he's this good at recruiting by simiply selling himself, his staff, and his way. Even before even coaching a down. he's really going to appeal to recruits when his team hits the field.

Future is very, very bright in Norman! Your negativity cant bring me down.

Last edited:

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Cool, but there was a qestion up there.

"So, you think Venables is unable to manage expectations? Like, he just doesnt know how, or what? You conflate what he has control over (his players, his team), and what he has no control over (fans, and media)."
While he doesn't control the fans and media, he greatly influences them. He's got you "super pumped" about him "building a monster", doesn't he?
And if you don't think the media (Which indirectly pays every coaches salary due to TV ratings) matters, you haven't been paying attention to sports for the last 40 years.
All the hype is really fun now, but it will be his undoing at OU. He's left himself zero room for error or even a reasonable ramp-up period.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
While he doesn't control the fans and media, he greatly influences them. He's got you "super pumped" about him "building a monster", doesn't he?
And if you don't think the media (Which indirectly pays every coaches salary due to TV ratings) matters, you haven't been paying attention to sports for the last 40 years.
All the hype is really fun now, but it will be his undoing at OU. He's left himself zero room for error or even a reasonable ramp-up period.
I'm pumped but it's not just because of anything he's ever said. Im excited for a hundred different reasons. his words dont have me pumped, the team's potential does. But i recognize it's because of him and how he does things.

The media doesnt matter to the team. They play the game, the media reports on it. you think the players are in practice talking about the media? I dont. That's the kind of thing a 5-7 team might care about though. but coaches constantly preach how none of that outside noise matters- it only matters what the team is doing and to ignore all the noise.

Not Venables' fault the media has hyped him up. The media hyping him up gives you the appearance he has little room for error. It's the big 12, with sub par competition and nearly every contender is breaking in a new qb. OU has a VERY favorable schedule. It should play out nicely. But he's enjoying the attention a little im sure as it's probably not hurting recruiting! So are we, this last 8 months have been a wild ride.

It's going to be a great show to watch this year. In fact, ESPN+ has OU inside access airing tonight. Check it out!

Last edited:

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I'm pumped but it's not just because of anything he's ever said. Im excited for a hundred different reasons. his words dont have me pumped, the team's potential does. But i recognize it's because of him and how he does things.

The media doesnt matter to the team. They play the game, the media reports on it. you think the players are in practice talking about the media? I dont. That's the kind of thing a 5-7 team might care about though. but coaches constantly preach how none of that outside noise matters- it only matters what the team is doing and to ignore all the noise.

Not Venables' fault the media has hyped him up. The media hyping him up gives you the appearance he has little room for error. It's the big 12, with sub par competition and nearly every contender is breaking in a new qb. OU has a VERY favorable schedule. It should play out nicely. But he's enjoying the attention a little im sure as it's probably not hurting recruiting! So are we, this last 8 months have been a wild ride.

It's going to be a great show to watch this year. In fact, ESPN+ has OU inside access airing tonight. Check it out!
What you cannot comprehend is that the media is literally the only source of anything you know about your favorite football team. You haven't met with anyone behind the scenes. YOU know nothing. In the absence of any actual results of a Venables led program, nor actual results from all the other new players at important positions and coaches in new roles, it's all just speculation. The OU media is stuffing your mouth with as many sugary dreams as you can swallow. I get why you love it, though. It's fun, for now.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
What you cannot comprehend is that the media is literally the only source of anything you know about your favorite football team. You haven't met with anyone behind the scenes. YOU know nothing. In the absence of any actual results of a Venables led program, nor actual results from all the other new players at important positions and coaches in new roles, it's all just speculation. The OU media is stuffing your mouth with as many sugary dreams as you can swallow. I get why you love it, though. It's fun, for now.
So what? Plenty of people get paid to be behind the scenes and report on those things to us as a living. Former players, and football insiders alike. This is common knowledge though. And they are usually pretty accurate.

And it's not all positive stuff either. Sounds like you have the impression they only report positive things. Is that what you really think?