Cale Gundy resigns

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
No we have a generation of overly sensitive snowflakes because no one deals with consequences anymore. Natural consequence of not paying attention in meetings is being moved down the depth chart. All embarrassing him is going to do it teach him to be sneakier about it next time. Spanking and berating people only teach them to hide the behavior that they got in trouble for. Not fix it.
people gotta learn. in 10th grade biology, our teacher would drop a metal rod on the ground when anyone in class was caught sleeping. they would wake right up the second that rod hit the hard ground, only to have everyone in class looking at you. nobody ever did it twice

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I don’t disagree necessarily but there are better ways to handle it. I’m a teacher and coach and how I would handle it is, take it, read it to myself to make sure I didn’t need to escalate it to someone else, tell him to stay on task, go back to doing what I’m doing. If he doesn’t want to pay attention then I reduce playing time. Creating a spectacle (I obviously wasn’t there so I don’t know how big of a spectacle it was). Acknowledge, redirect, continue.
I would agree with that. I'm not saying that that was absolutely the best way to handle it, and I'm pretty sure that player will be just fine. And if he's not...this world is going to be a really rough place for him going forward.

Now as to the additional news that Gundy read it repeatedly and with emphasis, that's a whole other ballgame.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
There is not always playing time to use as a consequence. In real life taking a phone away or some other meaningless consequence is what happens. That is why this is now a generational issue. Your "Spanking and berating people only teach them to hide the behavior that they got in trouble for" is BS. You and all the other snowflakes want to take away any real consequences. This was not an issue in the 70's and 80's because when a kid did something wrong there was a real consequence. Your way has lead to where we are now. Kids have no respect for authority whatsoever. I don't know you but if you are in education and this is how you handled situations like this then you are part of the problem.
I've swatted students in school, I'm quite good at it. You can call me snowflake all you want but there's no way on God's green earth I would do that today. My family's financial security is more important to me than your view of a snowflake. All it takes is one bruise or one person screaming abuse and I'm fighting a battle I can't win.

As for belittling a child you might want to back up there, Ma'am. You will be the first one up there with your thong in a twist when I rip on your little darling to escape being branded a snowflake. This ain't the frickin Marines and I'm not a drill seargent.

As for reading notes or IPADS out loud, why? I generally didn't even open the notes at that once I confiscated them unless there was something indicate an issue. They went in my file after I made sure there wasn't and and I left them alone. I don't want to know who is who's bf or gf, I damn sure don't want to know about bodily functions, and teenage drama just isn't fun but I did have to make sure there was no threat.

Until you're personslly willing to get you hiney in there and start beating that ass, screaming at kids, and learning who broke up their bf from notes seized don't be telling others their views are wrong. Every person deserves respect with accountability, humiliation is not necessary.

Jul 26, 2005
Broken Arrow, OK
people gotta learn. in 10th grade biology, our teacher would drop a metal rod on the ground when anyone in class was caught sleeping. they would wake right up the second that rod hit the hard ground, only to have everyone in class looking at you. nobody ever did it twice
The best motivator to "do better" is the peer pressure of those around you. Sure that kid sleeping might have gotten embarrassed. But you know what, he wouldn't have gotten embarrassed if he was doing what he should have been. Lesson learned. Similarly, don't you think many of the other players in that meeting weren't a little ticked off that one of their teammates wasn't serious about learning and getting better and improving the team when the rest of them are busting their ass to be the best.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
The best motivator to "do better" is the peer pressure of those around you. Sure that kid sleeping might have gotten embarrassed. But you know what, he wouldn't have gotten embarrassed if he was doing what he should have been. Lesson learned. Similarly, don't you think many of the other players in that meeting weren't a little ticked off that one of their teammates wasn't serious about learning and getting better and improving the team when the rest of them are busting their ass to be the best.
Yep there is that element to it as well. it reminds me of passing notes in middle school and the teacher would intercept one and read it aloud to the class. it always made people think twice about doing it again

docjoctoo

Territorial Marshal
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Someone needs to create a dictionary of unacceptable words or phases so every knows what they are allowed to say or even think. But of course it can not be done because to do so would require that these words be written on paper and worse of all their meaning fully explained to the satisfaction of the publisher.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
There is not always playing time to use as a consequence. In real life taking a phone away or some other meaningless consequence is what happens. That is why this is now a generational issue. Your "Spanking and berating people only teach them to hide the behavior that they got in trouble for" is BS. You and all the other snowflakes want to take away any real consequences. This was not an issue in the 70's and 80's because when a kid did something wrong there was a real consequence. Your way has lead to where we are now. Kids have no respect for authority whatsoever. I don't know you but if you are in education and this is how you handled situations like this then you are part of the problem.

I think there is a balance. Is a felt consequence needed? Absolutely. Should it be done in the context of respect. Absolutely. The quip "rules without relationship equals rebellion" is real IMO.

That said, the response from former players at large and some of the current players tells me that Cale has absolutely established meaningful relationships built on mutual respect.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
I don’t disagree necessarily but there are better ways to handle it. I’m a teacher and coach and how I would handle it is, take it, read it to myself to make sure I didn’t need to escalate it to someone else, tell him to stay on task, go back to doing what I’m doing. If he doesn’t want to pay attention then I reduce playing time. Creating a spectacle (I obviously wasn’t there so I don’t know how big of a spectacle it was). Acknowledge, redirect, continue.
Cale’s spectacle was resigning. Now the sh!t bag player gets to live with the fact that he was a part of his coach losing his livelihood. That’s pretty heavy. Maybe he can write a new rap song about it.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Just a sign of the times that we live in. It could happen anywhere.

Just wait until the cancel culture starts adding names to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Your employees tend to mimic your corporate identity. What Reilly did to them is no different than what the athletic department did to the Big XII and OSU in particular. Karma rains down

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Your employees tend to mimic your corporate identity. What Reilly did to them is no different than what the athletic department did to the Big XII and OSU in particular. Karma rains down
I feel you. At the same time, I’ve been at this a long time. As fans, we don’t deserve BS like this nor do sooner fans. They didn’t do anything to deserve any of this.

The school on the other hand, well, what goes around, comes around. On that, I agree.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I feel you. At the same time, I’ve been at this a long time. As fans, we don’t deserve BS like this nor do sooner fans. They didn’t do anything to deserve any of this.

The school on the other hand, well, what goes around, comes around. On that, I agree.
That's a good point

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK

No. Their fans deserve misery much worse than Riley’s move and Cale’s resignation.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
No. Their fans deserve misery much worse than Riley’s move and Cale’s resignation.
This is the same fanbase that ran off not just one, but their TWO most important players last year. They deserve it.

Rattler said. “I was just happy to get away from a toxic situation and get somewhere new. Anywhere was going to be better"

Carl (Williams, Caleb's father) did bemoan the way fans “suddenly turned on his son” along with “all the vitriol about Caleb cashing in on his transfer choice.”

Last edited:

docjoctoo

Territorial Marshal
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Someone needs to create a dictionary of unacceptable words or phases so every knows what they are allowed to say or even think. But of course it can not be done because to do so would require that these words be written on paper and worse of all their meaning fully explained to the satisfaction of the publisher.
I am waiting to hear...what terrible word or phase Call used that forced him out.