Cale Gundy resigns

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I'm not buying this. What white coach doesn't know you can't say the "N" word out loud anywhere, anytime. If they wanted him out, they could have given him a nice severance package, then he could coach elsewhere. If he wanted out, all he had to do is quit, with career and dignity intact.

Is he saying that when he's reading something he can't stop himself from saying that word. Rediculous. Who would hire this guy now if he's that stupid.

Of course, he should be rich by now so who cares. More disruption at OU anyway.
I would!! Surrounding myself with stupid people helps me look smart. Same reason I hire overweight people and drunks. So I can look thin, sober and smart.

Sep 16, 2005
Piedmont, Oklahoma
Our society is a joke!! Guy reads a few words out loud and then fired/resigned almost immediately after 20+ years of service. Woke/ cancel culture is destroying this country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Wilson, Oklahoma
I'm not buying this. What white coach doesn't know you can't say the "N" word out loud anywhere, anytime. If they wanted him out, they could have given him a nice severance package, then he could coach elsewhere. If he wanted out, all he had to do is quit, with career and dignity intact.

Is he saying that when he's reading something he can't stop himself from saying that word. Rediculous. Who would hire this guy now if he's that stupid.

Of course, he should be rich by now so who cares. More disruption at OU anyway.
I’ve heard he didn’t say the “N” word. It was the “F” word that people uses towards homosexuals.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
As a side note, I find it completely absurd that there exists a single word that cannot be spoken under any circumstances, and speaking said word results in automatically losing everything you’ve worked for in life. Things like context and intent should matter, but our society seems to struggle with such nuance.
I have known some people from my hometown that are legitimately racist. They don’t use that word, in public anyway, but their actions and intent are disgusting.

It seems this was an honest mistake, a sincere apology should be sufficient.

This should have never left the locker room, IMHO

Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida
I read that every player went to bat for him afterwards. But it taken out of the athletics departments hands. The administration canned him. Ou also has a very crazy woke group leading the school.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I read that every player went to bat for him afterwards. But it taken out of the athletics departments hands. The administration canned him. Ou also has a very crazy woke group leading the school.
They had a couple of highly visible embarrassments in a short period of time. They're probably a little jumpy since then.

Aug 11, 2004
Newkirk, Ok
I caught a little bit of Robert Allen this morning, he seemed to think it was Brent Venables decision. If that's the case, it might be that he wanted all his own people on his staff and is using this as an excuse to accomplish that. Or maybe he had an old beef with Gundy, who knows, but it's not unusual for a new boss to want their own people and not any inherited ones.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
I caught a little bit of Robert Allen this morning, he seemed to think it was Brent Venables decision. If that's the case, it might be that he wanted all his own people on his staff and is using this as an excuse to accomplish that. Or maybe he had an old beef with Gundy, who knows, but it's not unusual for a new boss to want their own people and not any inherited ones.
well, they were on the same staff for what? 11 years? If he had a problem with Cale, you'd have thought he would have addressed it when he put the staff together.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Because no one has ever slacked off in a meeting in the real world? These are 18-22 year old young men. There are ways to handle that situation that aren’t calling him out in front of his entire position group. Not saying that he should have been fired or resigned but he could have easily avoided the situation.
I witnessed 3-4 notes that a teacher caught being passed read out loud to the class and that was in elementary school. Give me a break with this "these are fragile tender young men". I agree that that sort of thing can go to far. There's a difference between making someone accountable for there actions and just straight humiliation. But he was reading the players own rap lyrics, not some vulnerable lines to his mom or something. If you are a young man you should behave and be treated like a young man and, in my book, that's being called out when you're out of line.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Imagine how all the players that liked Cale will now view their new head coach who didn’t have the backbone to stand up for him. Oof
You know something we don’t? I bet he did but it was likely out of his hands. This smells like the Admin forced this resignation

Or, he’s showing that there’s a very strict new standard with very little leeway

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Well I do think there I'd more to the story, as a true, sincere apology would most likely have been enough had the situation happened as reported. Still yes, Cale should have proofread in silence first, player should have been paying attention and needs to be addressed, etc... Again if things went as reported a true apology from Cale, which seems to have been given, and maybe some diversity classes, public speaking, should have been enough. The word used by many in today's songs, daily conversations among teens, etc. , well used in what seems to be an honest mistake by Cale shouldn't have cost him his job. I still think there's more, I'd like to know the poet who wrote the song,etc..but we most likely won't and so I'll move on. As for Cale, I'd love his recruiting ability, but I see his red blood as too thick for Stilly, even with big brother around. Maybe he goes to USC ?
He could probably coach just about anywhere. Osu would be cool but I doubt he would do it. Wouldn’t blame him though. Maybe kentucky or South Carolina