Cale Gundy resigns

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Gotta be something else at play. Rumors are that the players and staff wanted him to stay, administration made the call to boot him.

No way does a guy say that word (in that context), have full support of the players and staff, and still get canned.

Maybe the president wanted to send a zero-tolerance message? I don't know. Weird deal.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Dick move on the player. You’re there to play football. When the Coach is teaching and you’re supposed to be taking notes pertaining to football, that is not the time to be working on being the next Tupac.
Because no one has ever slacked off in a meeting in the real world? These are 18-22 year old young men. There are ways to handle that situation that aren’t calling him out in front of his entire position group. Not saying that he should have been fired or resigned but he could have easily avoided the situation.

Last edited:

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Because no one has ever slacked off in a meeting in the real world? These are 18-22 year old young men. There are ways to handle that situation that aren’t calling him out in front of his entire position group. Not saying that he should have been fired or resigned but he could have easily avoided the situation.
Sure there are, but there's also no context provided here on whether this specific player was a repeat offender in this regard.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
So, the player is still on the team?
I don’t KNOW what word was used but I can take an educated guess….

There are a few words that only certain groups can use with impunity and if you’re not in said groups, saying those words is a cancelable offense. I assume Cale is not in said groups.

Though, I do feel there is more to this story, they make iit seems like an honest mistake, a sincere apology and punishment should suffice…

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
As a side note, I find it completely absurd that there exists a single word that cannot be spoken under any circumstances, and speaking said word results in automatically losing everything you’ve worked for in life. Things like context and intent should matter, but our society seems to struggle with such nuance.
There isn’t where I live

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

Is this where we have came to as a society where we can’t reprimand someone in front of their peers?

If you’re so sensitive that you can’t be called out in front of team when you mess up, I don’t want you in my locker room.

OU is a critical pivot. They have lost a lot of star power and are migrating to a new system. As a veteran coach it’s your responsibility to insure that type of behavior and lack of focus will not be tolerated by anyone on the team.

Now he should have been aware that rap often contain lyrics that are taboo…. That parts in him.

I have no issues with how he handled the situation other than that.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Maybe, maybe not, but I'm more willing to give the benefit of the doubt on discipline methods to a man with a successful nearly 30-year coaching career than a distracted young college football player. And I'm sure this isn't Cale's first use of that kind of method without incident, so IMHO his method really shouldn't be in question.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Mike should be getting in touch with him just to see. He is a pretty damn good coach so he probably gets picked up by a big time school. Seems an over reaction by the OU admin as the players didn't care. Stupid move against one of their best coaches that stayed around.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP150

John 15:13
A/V Subscriber
Aug 30, 2008
D2L
Dick move on the player. You’re there to play football. When the Coach is teaching and you’re supposed to be taking notes pertaining to football, that is not the time to be working on being the next Tupac.
In an environment of Type A personalities… if one cannot handle being called out in front of the team, they need to walk until they can grow some thicker skin.

We’re raising a generation of entitled pansy asses by approaching everything in a way to minimize hurting their little feelings.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
He is the one resigning despite support from the players and coaches. I assume he doesn't want to be a distraction but maybe he's had enough coaching. Either way, it's a sad way to end his legacy.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
In an environment of Type A personalities… if one cannot handle being called out in front of the team, they need to walk until they can grow some thicker skin.

We’re raising a generation of entitled pansy asses by approaching everything in a way to minimize hurting their little feelings.
I would argue that if you can't handle it without running to mommy and daddy over your 'hurt feelings' (in this case the administration) you're not a type A personality.:D

I made the mistake of going down the rabbit hole in the comments section of his tweet.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
A little red light started flickering in my HR department when I even considered adding an emoji response to a post about a person using a word in the context of quoting another person.

That's where we are.

Feb 28, 2007
I'm not buying this. What white coach doesn't know you can't say the "N" word out loud anywhere, anytime. If they wanted him out, they could have given him a nice severance package, then he could coach elsewhere. If he wanted out, all he had to do is quit, with career and dignity intact.

Is he saying that when he's reading something he can't stop himself from saying that word. Rediculous. Who would hire this guy now if he's that stupid.

Of course, he should be rich by now so who cares. More disruption at OU anyway.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
A little red light started flickering in my HR department when I even considered adding an emoji response to a post about a person using a word in the context of quoting another person.

That's where we are.
I’m not censoring Gangster in Paradise nor Country Grammar. Throw me in English jail if they must but those 2 songs are worthless if they’re changed. I know some think they already are worthless but they’re classics to me.

My neighbor calls me the word all the time. Of course, he’s black and I’m the only one he uses the word with so he says. It doesn’t phase me in the least. And I call him my Nilla. ( white folks only word ).

He knows the only thing you can call me that insults me is calling me late for dinner.