Cale Gundy resigns

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
I think Venables is the next Gary Gibbs. Competent but not a guy for historical success.
True. I think it's dumb to say things like he's been to 8 of the last 20 national championship games...it's like so what? That's not even half the time.

And then when someone says Venables had the #1 defense in the country half a dozen times in his career and had a bunch of butkus winners and 1st round picks.. it's like...cool but does he know how to coach?

Guess we can revisit this in a few months but I suspect you may not be as interested in this discussion then as you are now.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
True. I think it's dumb to say things like he's been to 8 of the last 20 national championship games...it's like so what? That's not even half the time.

And then when someone says Venables had the #1 defense in the country half a dozen times in his career and had a bunch of butkus winners and 1st round picks.. it's like...cool but does he know how to coach?

Guess we can revisit this in a few months but I suspect you may not be as interested in this discussion then as you are now.
No doubt, because we all know that Coordinators always make good Head Coaches.

Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin

After we beat OU AGAIN, I'll be happy to discuss.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
After we beat OU AGAIN, I'll be happy to discuss.
Since that fantasy isnt coming to fruition, you'll be silent all season.

No doubt, because we all know that Coordinators always make good Head Coaches.
You rarely see a coordinator with this kind of resume. Kirby smart basically is the only one. Besides, its not the lack of coaching ability that sinks coordinators in their hc roles. it's all the other stuff that he seems to be really good at.

And I think OU has a pretty good track record of picking the right coordinators to be head coach. Almost as if the guy doing the hiring has a reputation of making good hires.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

You rarely see a coordinator with this kind of resume. Kirby smart basically is the only one. Besides, its not the lack of coaching ability that sinks coordinators in their hc roles. it's all the other stuff that he seems to be really good at.

And I think OU has a pretty good track record of picking the right coordinators to be head coach. Almost as if the guy doing the hiring has a reputation of making good hires.
He's never done it, but he's really good at it?

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010

He's never done it, but he's really good at it?
Watching three Hall of Fame coaches do it for 30 years gives him an idea of what the standard is.

And yeah so far he’s been real good at it. But that phase is over and now there’s a new set of things to be good at during the season. I like his chances

Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin

After seeing the kind of folks that haunt the OU boards, I can see why you spend so much time here.

cowboyairman4

Banned
Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Stillwater, OK
I'm not buying this. What white coach doesn't know you can't say the "N" word out loud anywhere, anytime. If they wanted him out, they could have given him a nice severance package, then he could coach elsewhere. If he wanted out, all he had to do is quit, with career and dignity intact.

Is he saying that when he's reading something he can't stop himself from saying that word. Rediculous. Who would hire this guy now if he's that stupid.

Of course, he should be rich by now so who cares. More disruption at OU anyway.
this is the most cowardly take I have ever seen. there is no word so horrible it cant be uttered. if there is its because people like u allow it to be so.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK

I see he is keeping the tradition going vs Kstate.

Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin

55-24

Did you want to go ahead and have this discussion now?

OrangeCrush

Territorial Marshal
Oct 26, 2004
Gateway to the High Plains

:lol:
Screenshot_20221001-220005_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: