Cale Gundy resigns

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin
https://pokesreport.com/s/3068/cale...fter-issue-with-a-player-not-paying-attention

Apparently, Gundy was conducting a meeting with his players and one of them was writing a rap song on his team issued iPad. Gundy confiscated it and read what was on the iPad to the players in the meeting and some of the language was inappropriate. As a result of all that activity, Gundy has announced his resignation, but there was definitely pushback from the current head coach Brent Venables.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
https://pokesreport.com/s/3068/cale...fter-issue-with-a-player-not-paying-attention

Apparently, Gundy was conducting a meeting with his players and one of them was writing a rap song on his team issued iPad. Gundy confiscated it and read what was on the iPad to the players in the meeting and some of the language was inappropriate. As a result of all that activity, Gundy has announced his resignation, but there was definitely pushback from the current head coach Brent Venables.
Sounds like a dick move backfired on him. Tried to embarrass the kid and ended up costing himself a cushy job.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Where will he go? USC, BAMA, or coach with one of the Stoops? Doubtful he would come to OSU being a long term OU coach. Will he retire?

Dec 17, 2011
This just seems odd to just resign, his apology was really good, but I feel like there was more of a reason for him to leave.

OP150

John 15:13
A/V Subscriber
Aug 30, 2008
D2L

Sounds like a dick move backfired on him. Tried to embarrass the kid and ended up costing himself a cushy job.
Dick move on the player. You’re there to play football. When the Coach is teaching and you’re supposed to be taking notes pertaining to football, that is not the time to be working on being the next Tupac.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
1659959802701.png

I only know of one word in the English language so powerful he would be "horrified" by the use of and would cause him to lose a job where he played football and coached for 23 years.

Dec 3, 2012
It seems clear that he had an adversarial relationship with some of the players in his film room. That would explain why they treated him with disrespect and why he responded with an attempt to embarrass them. Likely those players made it clear that they would be complaining loudly that their white coach said such a derogatory term in front of his black players.

Cale has himself to blame, as he is part of the bad relationship; however, I bet he’s glad to leave those relationships behind.

Dec 3, 2012
As a side note, I find it completely absurd that there exists a single word that cannot be spoken under any circumstances, and speaking said word results in automatically losing everything you’ve worked for in life. Things like context and intent should matter, but our society seems to struggle with such nuance.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Definitely need to know more, but it’s not uncommon for a coach to call out a player in some form or fashion. He’s been a successful, respected coach now for nearly 30 years so I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt over a football player when it comes to choices of discipline methods. Now everything else, right or wrong, he definitely owns that.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2017
Enid
Imagine how all the players that liked Cale will now view their new head coach who didn’t have the backbone to stand up for him. Oof

Jan 1, 2022
Moore
Well I do think there I'd more to the story, as a true, sincere apology would most likely have been enough had the situation happened as reported. Still yes, Cale should have proofread in silence first, player should have been paying attention and needs to be addressed, etc... Again if things went as reported a true apology from Cale, which seems to have been given, and maybe some diversity classes, public speaking, should have been enough. The word used by many in today's songs, daily conversations among teens, etc. , well used in what seems to be an honest mistake by Cale shouldn't have cost him his job. I still think there's more, I'd like to know the poet who wrote the song,etc..but we most likely won't and so I'll move on. As for Cale, I'd love his recruiting ability, but I see his red blood as too thick for Stilly, even with big brother around. Maybe he goes to USC ?