BYU, Cincy, Houston, UCF will join B12 07/23

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 8, 2010
Houston, UCF and Cincinnati are all former Conference USA schools in the 2000’s
TCU and BYU were WAC and Mountain West schools in the 2000’s

They are ok schools, but not the most prestigious schools to be associated with.

It’s kind of a problem if we’re the most prestigious school in the conference.

I’m confident that Ms. Shrum and Mr. Weiberg are working to get us out of purgatory as soon as possible.

I believe the SEC is full.
The Big 10 would be amazing.
If SC and Oregon stay in the PAC-12 it’s an improvement. It may still be an improvement without them.
The ACC likely isn’t an improvement unless they scrap their contract and also add Notre Dame.
I’m old enough to remember when Clemson, Miami, and Florida State we’re not prestigious schools. Heck, maybe the new Big XII is just the opportunity we need to take the next step. I think that’s how Gundy is looking at it and we should too.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I’m old enough to remember when Clemson, Miami, and Florida State we’re not prestigious schools. Heck, maybe the new Big XII is just the opportunity we need to take the next step. I think that’s how Gundy is looking at it and we should too.
I get that opinion. But the TV packages make it much more difficult to transition echelons. The longer we’re in a have not conference; The wider that gap will be.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Clemson was a POWER for a decade in the 80s. In 10 years they had 7 seasons with a win % of over 80%. That was with an 11 game season and no conference championships. That would be the equivalent of (7) 11-win seasons in 10 years with one year being undefeated national champions.
Terry Don Philips was instrumental in bringing them back to relevance.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Aug 7, 2006
Pretty concerning that this guy doesn't have any background in college athletics, but also intriguing what he might bring to the table from a marketing/innovation standpoint. After the ineptitude of Bowlsby, the B12 needs to get this hire right.
I'm not really concerned about that. Ultimately, decisions are still going to be made by the university presidents and there is no doubt going to be plenty of people with collegiate experience in the Big 12 offices. What this guy will do is open doors that probably not a lot of people would be able to without his connections. We needed a big picture type of person who is willing to think outside the box, he definitely fits that bill.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
It’s being reported the Big12 is looking to go a different route to replace the commish.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...-replace-bob-bowlsby-commissioner-sources-say
Pretty concerning that this guy doesn't have any background in college athletics, but also intriguing what he might bring to the table from a marketing/innovation standpoint. After the ineptitude of Bowlsby, the B12 needs to get this hire right.
Agreed, PAC 12 has gone with an outsider twice now. Larry Scott was an absolute disaster, we’ll see with the new guy.

As for Bowlsby-he’s got the power that the schools give him and nothing more. These are largely the same schools that couldn’t get a tv network done when Kevin Weiberg had the idea, so he took it to the B1G.
So there’s a narrative that Beebe sucked, now Bowlsby does. These schools hired both of them, and lacked the ability to implement Weibergs strategy. Do the math here-it ain’t the fault of the guys they’ve hired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 7, 2006
Agreed, PAC 12 has gone with an outsider twice now. Larry Scott was an absolute disaster, we’ll see with the new guy.

As for Bowlsby-he’s got the power that the schools give him and nothing more. These are largely the same schools that couldn’t get a tv network done when Kevin Weiberg had the idea, so he took it to the B1G.
So there’s a narrative that Beebe sucked, now Bowlsby does. These schools hired both of them, and lacked the ability to implement Weibergs strategy. Do the math here-it ain’t the fault of the guys they’ve hired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny thing is, the schools that didn't want the Big 12 Network are all gone(or leaving) and in conferences with conference networks.