BYU, Cincy, Houston, UCF will join B12 07/23

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I can’t wait to book my trip to Provo to watch the Poke game there. I think I’ll make a long vacation out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I need to make a trip to Moab AND Zion... would be awesome to catch these along with a Cowboy's victory in Provo on the same trip! :woot::thumbup:

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I can’t wait to book my trip to Provo to watch the Poke game there. I think I’ll make a long vacation out of it.

I need to make a trip to Moab AND Zion... would be awesome to catch these along with a Cowboy's victory in Provo on the same trip! :woot::thumbup:
My first year of retirement we had a vacation to visit all 5 National Parks in Utah and the Salt Lake/Park City area. It was a blast

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Honestly, I’m very much looking forward to having a real conference schedule in baseball now. A 24 game conference schedule in baseball is way too short.
@Ptak'sNewspaper Is this as simple as reducing our weekend non-con series down from 6 weekends to 2? Probably still keep the Shockers/ORU as spread out weekday game "series", maybe nix the non-con OU game?
I don't know anything about the 4 incoming baseball teams but it's nice to add/regain momentum with a SEMO/Seton Hall type series along the way.

Aug 7, 2006
Honestly, I’m very much looking forward to having a real conference schedule in baseball now. A 24 game conference schedule in baseball is way too short.
Yeah, that will be nice. It will be interesting to see how we handle BYU's schedule for baseball. Looks like the WCC let them play Thursday-Saturday, will the Big 12 do the same? Or will we have doubleheader Saturdays?

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
That really only works when you play everyone right? Tough to do with 12+ teams.
Review 2003 through 2010 when the Big 12 had two divisions.

In championship games....

In 2003 it was 6-2 KSU instead of 7-1 Texas

In 2004 it was 4-4 CU instead of 7-1 Texas

In 2005 it was 5-3 CU instead of 6-2 Texas

In 2006 it was 6-3 NE instead of 6-2 Texas

In 2007 it was 6-2 OU instead of 7-1 MU

In 2008 it was 5-3 MU instead of 7-1 TX

Finally, in 2009 it was the two teams with the best records that squared of in the championship game...

From 2003 through 2008 the team in the championship game with the lower winning percentage cumulative record was 32-17 when it could have been 40-8.

Additionally, more often the championship game would have featured two nationally ranked teams. As it was the Big 12 Championship game in those years featured nationally ranked teams 4 of the 7 years. If you go with the two teams with the best record it would have been 7 for 7.

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
@Ptak'sNewspaper Is this as simple as reducing our weekend non-con series down from 6 weekends to 2? Probably still keep the Shockers/ORU as spread out weekday game "series", maybe nix the non-con OU game?
I don't know anything about the 4 incoming baseball teams but it's nice to add/regain momentum with a SEMO/Seton Hall type series along the way.
Overall, it will be better for the rpi to not have to go out of conference in the middle of the conference schedule. We’ve done a great job of scheduling, but it really is hard to consistently find quality opponents in the middle of the conference schedule that won’t crater your rpi. New Orleans in 2021 and Lamar in 2017 are decent examples of this.

I’m pretty optimistic about Houston and UCF’s baseball programs. UCF should really be able to boost their program pretty easily joining our conference. You could field a borderline top 25 team every year with overlooked players from Florida high schools and jucos.

I’m concerned about BYU and Cincinnati. They’ll probably be doormats. Hopefully Kansas steps up their game. Their recent HC hire could turn out good for them.

Anyway, I’m hopeful that now since the staff won’t have to scramble to find nonconference opponents in the middle of the conference season, we can focus more on putting together an even better nonconference schedule before conference season begins.

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
I don’t mind divisions but yeah maybe there could be a better way. Have they announced that’s how they’ll do it? I bet it’d be a nice way for them to middle finger Ou and texas, just give them the worst matchups
Yeah, it's been mentioned on here by others, but the easiest way to middle finger ou/ut would be to have no divisions and an 8 or 9 game conference schedule in which they're not scheduled to play each other, thereby forcing them to schedule the RRR as a noncon game for a year or two. That said, I don't expect the B12 to middle finger them in any form, because the league has never had any balls when it came to ou/ut and I don't expect them to grow a pair this late in the game.
I’m sure they’d think about it If it was possible. I suspect they could be obligated to make it a big 12 game. Not sure.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Review 2003 through 2010 when the Big 12 had two divisions.

In championship games....

In 2003 it was 6-2 KSU instead of 7-1 Texas

In 2004 it was 4-4 CU instead of 7-1 Texas

In 2005 it was 5-3 CU instead of 6-2 Texas

In 2006 it was 6-3 NE instead of 6-2 Texas

In 2007 it was 6-2 OU instead of 7-1 MU

In 2008 it was 5-3 MU instead of 7-1 TX

Finally, in 2009 it was the two teams with the best records that squared of in the championship game...

From 2003 through 2008 the team in the championship game with the lower winning percentage cumulative record was 32-17 when it could have been 40-8.

Additionally, more often the championship game would have featured two nationally ranked teams. As it was the Big 12 Championship game in those years featured nationally ranked teams 4 of the 7 years. If you go with the two teams with the best record it would have been 7 for 7.
Yeah I don't disagree with the philosophy at all. Practicality says it can't work as it requires 11 conference games and 1 non conference game a year. And unless everyone plays everyone, it's impossible to know who the two best teams are to confirm the philosophy. It's a catch-22 almost.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah I don't disagree with the philosophy at all. Practicality says it can't work as it requires 11 conference games and 1 non conference game a year. And unless everyone plays everyone, it's impossible to know who the two best teams are to confirm the philosophy. It's a catch-22 almost.
But divisions do a better job of determining who the best two teams are?

It does not require you play 11 conference games any more than it does today. We don't play 129 games to decide who the best two Division 1 teams are.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
But divisions do a better job of determining who the best two teams are?

It does not require you play 11 conference games any more than it does today. We don't play 129 games to decide who the best two Division 1 teams are.
No I don’t agree divisions guarantee best two teams. How do you determine the two best teams without everyone playing each other in a round Robin? And if you have 12 teams that means 11 games against conference opponents in order to play everyone. At least for football. Can’t figure out if you’re just f**king with me at this point or if we’re talking two totally different things.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
No I don’t agree divisions guarantee best two teams. How do you determine the two best teams without everyone playing each other in a round Robin? And if you have 12 teams that means 11 games against conference opponents in order to play everyone. At least for football. Can’t figure out if you’re just f**king with me at this point or if we’re talking two totally different things.
If you split the conference into divisions you don't play everyone in the conference. So, why if you don't have divisions you now "have" to play every one in the conference? Not sure why you are hung up on playing everyone if you don't have divisions, but if you have divisions you don't have to play everyone?

You do the same as we do now, play 9 conference games and three non-conference games. Rotate through all the conference teams as you progress through the years similar to the rotation you see with opposite divisions.

The two teams with the best records (likely the two teams with the highest national ranking) play for the conference title.

In the 7 years I posted earlier for the Big 12 there was one season where there was a four way tie for 1st. One other year there was a two way tie for second.

Sep 14, 2007

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I need to make a trip to Moab AND Zion... would be awesome to catch these along with a Cowboy's victory in Provo on the same trip! :woot::thumbup:[/QUOTEt would be doable in a week, but kinda lots of driving. It's basically a triangle of three hour drives. So I'm with ya!

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
ESPN will make it happen
We could use scheduling as an option and negotiating
Yeah, it's been mentioned on here by others, but the easiest way to middle finger ou/ut would be to have no divisions and an 8 or 9 game conference schedule in which they're not scheduled to play each other, thereby forcing them to schedule the RRR as a noncon game for a year or two. That said, I don't expect the B12 to middle finger them in any form, because the league has never had any balls when it came to ou/ut and I don't expect them to grow a pair this late in the game.
I like that idea. Make them play their rivalry game week 3

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
ESPN will make it happen
We could use scheduling as an option and negotiating
I like that idea. Make them play their rivalry game week 3
On a Thursday.