BYU, Cincy, Houston, UCF will join B12 07/23

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Depends on the "number of years" you're referring to, but yes I do. And I have no idea how that opinion has anything to do with ESPN or Koolaide or the two mixed together.
ESPN tells us the SEC is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and people buy into that and turn on ESPN to watch those great SEC match-ups because they were told to.

Win Percentage since 2000 by group.

LSU, OU, Texas, Texas A&M

809-320
Win % = .71656

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia

810-318
Win % = .71809

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
It is interesting, but I think it would probably come down to National perception and their performance in NY6 bowls and just making appearances in the playoffs. As long as Oklahoma keeps recruiting at the level that they are, they’re going to be competitive in the SEC. They just won’t be winning as many conference titles.

But who knows what the new playoff expansion will bring. If it’s 12, you’re probably going to see 4 sec teams, at least 3. I like OUs chances In those circumstances.
And I suspect the same will be true for Alabama. Saban is already complaining about Texas A&M recruiting.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
That’s very unlikely to happen. What’s the most likely outcome will be a series of four 4 team pods.

9 game conference schedule. play everyone in your pod, and then two teams from every other pod. Every team plays each other at least every other year. Which also means everyone plays a road game at everyone else’s house at least once every four years. you split it into two divisions, there will be a lot of matchups that only take place once every four or five years. And some programs haven’t even taken a visit to others yet. Aggie joined the SEC in 2011, and Georgia isn’t taking a visit to college station until 2024. Pods are the way to go
From four pods who do they decide who plays in the conference championship game?

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
Depends on the "number of years" you're referring to, but yes I do. And I have no idea how that opinion has anything to do with ESPN or Koolaide or the two mixed together.
ESPN tells us the SEC is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and people buy into that and turn on ESPN to watch those great SEC match-ups because they were told to.

809-320
Win % = .71656

810-318
Win % = .71809
Yeah, but seven of those eight teams have won a national championship since 2000. And three of them did it multiple times.

Well perhaps ESPN has created perception, but maybe it’s turning into reality? Because if we look at the results where it matters: national championships. SEC seems to be winning all of them. Why? is it ESPN? Or is it the players?

Well, we look at recruiting, and in the 2022 class, all 14 current teams in the SEC were ranked in the top 32. And you got Oklahoma and Texas in the top 8. You look at the big 12 without Oklahoma and Texas, Oklahoma State at 30. That’s the only team who out-recruited bottom feeder Vanderbilt in the new big 12. Think about that. So there’s a ton of talent on all these rosters that’s top to bottom better than everybody else. Then we look at the NFL draft and we clearly see who dominates there.

So I guess ESPN’s doing a dang good job. Or they hitched their wagon to the right conference.

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
That’s very unlikely to happen. What’s the most likely outcome will be a series of four 4 team pods.

9 game conference schedule. play everyone in your pod, and then two teams from every other pod. Every team plays each other at least every other year. Which also means everyone plays a road game at everyone else’s house at least once every four years. you split it into two divisions, there will be a lot of matchups that only take place once every four or five years. And some programs haven’t even taken a visit to others yet. Aggie joined the SEC in 2011, and Georgia isn’t taking a visit to college station until 2024. Pods are the way to go
From four pods who do they decide who plays in the conference championship game?
Well I don’t make the rules, and nothing has been established because this is all theoretical. But I would think that they would figure it out. If I’m thinking off the top of my head though, since the NCAA deregulated conferences, they could just pick the top two teams with the best winning percentage. Tie breaker from there.

I kind of liked the idea of a 4 team playoff to determine the conference champ but that might be excessive

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Yeah, but seven of those eight teams have won a national championship since 2000. And three of them did it multiple times.

Well perhaps ESPN has created perception, but maybe it’s turning into reality? Because if we look at the results where it matters: national championships. SEC seems to be winning all of them. Why? is it ESPN? Or is it the players?

Well, we look at recruiting, and in the 2022 class, all 14 current teams in the SEC were ranked in the top 32. And you got Oklahoma and Texas in the top 8. You look at the big 12 without Oklahoma and Texas, Oklahoma State at 30. That’s the only team who out-recruited bottom feeder Vanderbilt in the new big 12. Think about that. So there’s a ton of talent on all these rosters that’s top to bottom better than everybody else. Then we look at the NFL draft and we clearly see who dominates there.

So I guess ESPN’s doing a dang good job. Or they hitched their wagon to the right conference.
I literally have no idea what your post has to do with mine....I don't know what else to say haha.

Just to recap: I was saying that ou would be delighted to be in a division w/o bama, UGA, Florida, and Auburn. I then followed it up with a statement that tried to show that my opinion had nothing to do with ESPN.

So....why are you trying to convince me that the SEC is the best again? :blink::lol:

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

809-320
Win % = .71656

810-318
Win % = .71809

National Championships since 2000 by group.

LSU/OU/Texas/aTm

Bama/Auburn/Florida/UGA

I understand what you're trying to say/show......and the bama group of teams has been better than the OU group of teams. Has nothing to do with what ESPN has been saying.

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010

I literally have no idea what your post has to do with mine....I don't know what else to say haha.

Just to recap: I was saying that ou would be delighted to be in a division w/o bama, UGA, Florida, and Auburn. I then followed it up with a statement that tried to show that my opinion had nothing to do with ESPN.

So....why are you trying to convince me that the SEC is the best again? :blink::lol:
I’m not trying to convince you of anything. I responded to Cimarron. He responded to you.

Hey sarcastically implied that the SEC is not that great with what he listed. And I just made an observation about the success of the teams on that list. And I implied that ESPN is not the reason for their dominance

Dec 9, 2013
Well, the latest payout is 54.3 mil which is 14 mil more than the 40 the big 12 got. It's not unreasonable to say that when two of the top 10 revenue generating programs moves to the sec, everyone's payout will increase.

With that said, as things sit now, sec is projected to be in the 70 mil range by 2025, compared to the 44 mil the big 12 is projected to distribute. so an extra 30 mil a year on today's standard, or an extra 25 mil a year based on projections.

So if we are looking at these numbers, they would recoup that money pretty quickly. The sec could also pony up some of that cash which they can get back through the yearly distribution. Take 10 mil a year off for 4 years, and pay the rest in their own cash. Lots of options. One way or another though, two of the highest revenue generators in cfb will be making even more money in the sec. which is good because OU really needs a new press box, it's embarassing.

And then they have the new tier 3 tv deal with espn which will bring in a few more bucks. The university has debt, the athletics program continues to be one of the biggest revenue generators in the sport though.
Isn’t uo’s annual media money bigger than the average Big12 bc they and Texas kept their tier 3 rights. Tx has the longhorn network and uo had sooner sports on foxsw. They were closer to mid 50’s which put those 2 on par w sec and big. Then foxsw went away and uo signed a new deal w espn for tier 3 rights.

My bet is those tier 3 rights go bye bye when they move to sec and they get folded in w everyone else w no more tier 1, 2 or 3. Heist all sec all espn all the time.

They still will make more $ but isn’t it closer to $15 per yr and not the $30MM that is being thought of.

That’s still a lot more cheese than any Big12 school will make but there’s going to be a lot more costs. In order to maintain their winning ways in football an easy 7-10 million will go to increased salaries. No way do they compete yr in yr out payin BV $5 million per yr. That number easily doubles and then you increase assistants and add staff and just football alone you eat 2/3’s of your gain. Baseball will have to build a new stadium. Basketball will have to build. Merchandising $ could go up but if you don’t win it won’t.

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
Well, the latest payout is 54.3 mil which is 14 mil more than the 40 the big 12 got. It's not unreasonable to say that when two of the top 10 revenue generating programs moves to the sec, everyone's payout will increase.

With that said, as things sit now, sec is projected to be in the 70 mil range by 2025, compared to the 44 mil the big 12 is projected to distribute. so an extra 30 mil a year on today's standard, or an extra 25 mil a year based on projections.

So if we are looking at these numbers, they would recoup that money pretty quickly. The sec could also pony up some of that cash which they can get back through the yearly distribution. Take 10 mil a year off for 4 years, and pay the rest in their own cash. Lots of options. One way or another though, two of the highest revenue generators in cfb will be making even more money in the sec. which is good because OU really needs a new press box, it's embarassing.

And then they have the new tier 3 tv deal with espn which will bring in a few more bucks. The university has debt, the athletics program continues to be one of the biggest revenue generators in the sport though.
Isn’t uo’s annual media money bigger than the average Big12 bc they and Texas kept their tier 3 rights. Tx has the longhorn network and uo had sooner sports on foxsw. They were closer to mid 50’s which put those 2 on par w sec and big. Then foxsw went away and uo signed a new deal w espn for tier 3 rights.

My bet is those tier 3 rights go bye bye when they move to sec and they get folded in w everyone else w no more tier 1, 2 or 3. Heist all sec all espn all the time.

They still will make more $ but isn’t it closer to $15 per yr and not the $30MM that is being thought of.

That’s still a lot more cheese than any Big12 school will make but there’s going to be a lot more costs. In order to maintain their winning ways in football an easy 7-10 million will go to increased salaries. No way do they compete yr in yr out payin BV $5 million per yr. That number easily doubles and then you increase assistants and add staff and just football alone you eat 2/3’s of your gain. Baseball will have to build a new stadium. Basketball will have to build. Merchandising $ could go up but if you don’t win it won’t.
They did have a deal with ballys but the new one is with espn & has streaming options. And more money so it worked out better. Yeah it’ll mostly go away when they join sec. But let’s say they make 10 mil on that, added to the 44.

Sure by the time they join if Ou is good I’m sure Venables might get a raise by then. Staff too. To be expected.

And comparing the new distributions their tier 3 rights that’ll be added to the overall pile that they get a split off& so will texas. So maybe that’s 72 mil they get from sec distribution. Big 12 is 44 which is a 29 mil difference. Take away that tier 3 of 10 mil it’s a 19 mil difference.

For the first year. Projected to be 90 by 2028 and big 12 projected at 50 by then. The gap widens every year. So once they get Traction after a couple years I think the extra dough will be pretty significant so they’ll be able to afford some of the spending they’ll have to have to be competitive. And they got more commitments from boosters so that should help. Lots of energy in the program right now

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007

You don't think ESPN doesn't have an effect on recruiting to the SEC?

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Well I don’t make the rules, and nothing has been established because this is all theoretical. But I would think that they would figure it out. If I’m thinking off the top of my head though, since the NCAA deregulated conferences, they could just pick the top two teams with the best winning percentage. Tie breaker from there.

I kind of liked the idea of a 4 team playoff to determine the conference champ but that might be excessive
I think it's a mistake on the part of the Big 12 to have divisions, same for other conferences. Rotate through all the teams in the conference and let the two with the best record play for the conference championship.

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010

I think it's a mistake on the part of the Big 12 to have divisions, same for other conferences. Rotate through all the teams in the conference and let the two with the best record play for the conference championship.
I don’t mind divisions but yeah maybe there could be a better way. Have they announced that’s how they’ll do it? I bet it’d be a nice way for them to middle finger Ou and texas, just give them the worst matchups

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010

You don't think ESPN doesn't have an effect on recruiting to the SEC?
I think now it’s NIL first and then draft results and team success being the primary drivers and probably matter more than a tv network

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I don’t mind divisions but yeah maybe there could be a better way. Have they announced that’s how they’ll do it? I bet it’d be a nice way for them to middle finger Ou and texas, just give them the worst matchups
Yeah, it's been mentioned on here by others, but the easiest way to middle finger ou/ut would be to have no divisions and an 8 or 9 game conference schedule in which they're not scheduled to play each other, thereby forcing them to schedule the RRR as a noncon game for a year or two. That said, I don't expect the B12 to middle finger them in any form, because the league has never had any balls when it came to ou/ut and I don't expect them to grow a pair this late in the game.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
That really only works when you play everyone right? Tough to do with 12+ teams.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
That really only works when you play everyone right? Tough to do with 12+ teams.
Right. It's been great for football and for home-and-home in basketball in recent years, but it just won't be possible anymore. Especially if you want to add several FCS opponent non-conference gimme games, ideally baked into the end of the schedule like the SEC does. It's a weak move but clear advantage.

Just announced this week: ( :poo: )

1655393887860.png