BYU, Cincy, Houston, UCF will join B12 07/23

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
lets just say its twice as big, and they are pulling in 50 million a year. it will still take years to recover since their athletic expenditures will have to double as well to 'keep up with the jones'. Not to mention ou is already in debt to their eyeballs.
Well, the latest payout is 54.3 mil which is 14 mil more than the 40 the big 12 got. It's not unreasonable to say that when two of the top 10 revenue generating programs moves to the sec, everyone's payout will increase.

With that said, as things sit now, sec is projected to be in the 70 mil range by 2025, compared to the 44 mil the big 12 is projected to distribute. so an extra 30 mil a year on today's standard, or an extra 25 mil a year based on projections.

So if we are looking at these numbers, they would recoup that money pretty quickly. The sec could also pony up some of that cash which they can get back through the yearly distribution. Take 10 mil a year off for 4 years, and pay the rest in their own cash. Lots of options. One way or another though, two of the highest revenue generators in cfb will be making even more money in the sec. which is good because OU really needs a new press box, it's embarassing.

And then they have the new tier 3 tv deal with espn which will bring in a few more bucks. The university has debt, the athletics program continues to be one of the biggest revenue generators in the sport though.

Last edited:

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
Hooo boy, that’s gonna make those NIL recruiting battles in the snake pit that is the SEC not so fun for OU.
Dunno really. I do know that the OU collective is so far the first (and only as far as i know) collective that has announced their plans to pay out every scholarship player 40k or 50k, and a nice chunk of change for the walk ons in exchange for various activities like autograph signings, meet & greets, marketing opportunities and community service. Whereas certain other collectives are focusing on how much they can offer the top tier players, it looks like this one is taking it a bit further. I suspect though that once things get fleshed out better, we will see that 40k or 50k for every player on scholarship will be pretty standard

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
There will be a super league of about 30 universities break from the NCAA. Perhaps sooner than later.

This league will swallow up the big media dollars.
I think it seems more likely that it'd be a breakaway of the power conferences from the rest. So all the teams affiliated with a power conference; everyone in the sec, and big 10 for sure. most likely those in the pac 12 and acc as well. that's 57 teams.

Maybe the big 12 could be a part of it? not sure, with OU and texas leaving, it feels like a mid major. when the two most prominent programs in a conference are baylor and ok state, it's basically a fancy G5 Or i guess G6 league. Literally half the teams were in a mid major recently; with wvu and tcu having been promoted up to a p5 conference 10 years ago and the other 4 of course having never played in a major conference.
The other 6 are tech, isu, kansas, ksu.... basically it's a kind of run of the mill mid major conference except for the two left- osu and baylor as the new flag bearers.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
The dollars have always been there. It's just been unwrapped for everyone to see now.
I think what will be interesting to see is what happens when OU football goes from the #1 recent winningest team and #2 most valuable team in it's conference to the #5 recent winningest team and #8 most valuable team in it's conference. Will the bangwagon fanbase that has clung onto OU for all of these years become die-hards or do they mass defect, leaving the viewership, merch and ticket sales, and booster money in a freefall. Venables has an incredibly hard road ahead of him.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
unfortunately, they'll be fine.
Look at Tenn or Arky. Irrelevant for years. Doormats in SEC. Yet their stadium is full. Their non-alum base is huge and rabid.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I think what will be interesting to see is what happens when OU football goes from the #1 recent winningest team and #2 most valuable team in it's conference to the #5 recent winningest team and #8 most valuable team in it's conference. Will the bangwagon fanbase that has clung onto OU for all of these years become die-hards or do they mass defect, leaving the viewership, merch and ticket sales, and booster money in a freefall. Venables has an incredibly hard road ahead of him.
Thinking OU is going away is wishful thinking.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks the SEC is such a super league? Outside of Alabama and #2 team in the conference which can change from one year to the next really isn't any different than any other major conference. There is a power team that goes across years, and then a few other teams that will challenge in various seasons.

This last season in bowl games the Big 12 had a 71% winning percentage, followed by the Big Ten (60%), the SEC (42%), ACC (33%), and the Pac 12 (0.00%).

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2010
South Windsor, CT

I'm not sure why everyone thinks the SEC is such a super league? Outside of Alabama and #2 team in the conference which can change from one year to the next really isn't any different than any other major conference. There is a power team that goes across years, and then a few other teams that will challenge in various seasons.

This last season in bowl games the Big 12 had a 71% winning percentage, followed by the Big Ten (60%), the SEC (42%), ACC (33%), and the Pac 12 (0.00%).
The way I interpret his question is, "what happens when OU stops winning at the rate it wins in the Big 12", which I do think is a fair question. You look at our program, and despite being top 10 in wins over the past 10-15 years, we aren't looked at as a powerhouse because of the conference titles and National titles. And even though, you're right, the SEC top to bottom is overrated, can OU snag conference titles from Alabama? Georgia? Definitely not as consistently as it did in the Big 12.

And it wont be a departure from fandom - it's about the kids. When I was growing up, there were no Warriors fans. Just Bulls, Celtics, and Lakers fans. Now, you have a ton of Warriors fans, and no Bulls fans.

So I do think it is going to be an interesting case study - IF Oklahoma State becomes the team in Oklahoma that is winning the conference titles and OU, while still winning 10 games per year, is finishing behind the Alabamas and Georgias, how does that shift the future fan bases of the state?

Not saying definitively one way or another. I could be way off on this. But, could be interesting to keep an eye on over the years.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
The way I interpret his question is, "what happens when OU stops winning at the rate it wins in the Big 12", which I do think is a fair question. You look at our program, and despite being top 10 in wins over the past 10-15 years, we aren't looked at as a powerhouse because of the conference titles and National titles. And even though, you're right, the SEC top to bottom is overrated, can OU snag conference titles from Alabama? Georgia? Definitely not as consistently as it did in the Big 12.

And it wont be a departure from fandom - it's about the kids. When I was growing up, there were no Warriors fans. Just Bulls, Celtics, and Lakers fans. Now, you have a ton of Warriors fans, and no Bulls fans.

So I do think it is going to be an interesting case study - IF Oklahoma State becomes the team in Oklahoma that is winning the conference titles and OU, while still winning 10 games per year, is finishing behind the Alabamas and Georgias, how does that shift the future fan bases of the state?

Not saying definitively one way or another. I could be way off on this. But, could be interesting to keep an eye on over the years.
@PickleRick Indeed that is what I meant. OU has a very spoiled fanbase and you see what the narrative has been after they went 11-2 and missed the CCG. While much is revisionist history after their coach left, listen to the fanbase repeat how god-awful the 2011 team was. I happen to think 11-2 and missing the CCG is going to be the norm or maybe even the high end of what their SEC lives will be.

I agree the SEC isn't loaded top to bottom, but they sure are loaded at the top with 2-4 teams any given year who have just as much money, history, boosters, and top recruits (if not more) than OU does and will keep them out of conference and playoff contention.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
If the SEC shifts conference alignment to bring in OU and Texas, Alabama will likely be in the East....

East
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

West
Arkansas
LSU
Miss State
Missouri
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Texas
Texas A&M

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
If the SEC shifts conference alignment to bring in OU and Texas, Alabama will likely be in the East....

East
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

West
Arkansas
LSU
Miss State
Missouri
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Texas
Texas A&M
I can PROMISE that uo administrators are on their knees praying for this exact arrangement. To be on the opposite side from bama, auburn, UGA, and florida would be a dream come true for them I'm sure.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I can PROMISE that uo administrators are on their knees praying for this exact arrangement. To be on the opposite side from bama, auburn, UGA, and florida would be a dream come true for them I'm sure.
You drink too much ESPN Koolaide ... lol

Do you think Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn collectively over a number of years will be any different than LSU, OU, Texas, Texas A&M?

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
The dollars have always been there. It's just been unwrapped for everyone to see now.
Doesn’t seem like a reasonable question. Many of us have been fans during the down years. No will the bandwagoners jump off? Sure. No one cares about those people. The lifelong fans are there for life though.

As far as booster money goes, they have a lot more investment with those people now than they did recently. That was one of the things that had to happen for Venables to take the job. I think they double the size of the off field staff, increased recruiting budget, got a team chef and team nutritionist, got coaches flying in private jets. They weren’t doing any of these things last year.

Bigger question will be how will the team perform when they aren’t the biggest dog in the cage. I think they’ll do pretty well against the bottom 10 teams in the conference but they will be a lot lord at the top to deal with. I’m excited. It also will help in recruiting because players want to play in that conference

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
You drink too much ESPN Koolaide ... lol

Do you think Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Auburn collectively over a number of years will be any different than LSU, OU, Texas, Texas A&M?
Depends on the "number of years" you're referring to, but yes I do. And I have no idea how that opinion has anything to do with ESPN or Koolaide or the two mixed together.

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010
unfortunately, they'll be fine.
Look at Tenn or Arky. Irrelevant for years. Doormats in SEC. Yet their stadium is full. Their non-alum base is huge and rabid.
I think it’s a matter of expectations though. Their fan bases don’t expect big things. But the more success these new coaches have, they will start expecting big things and if they dont get them, then you’ll start seeing who they really are. It seems like any program that’s consistently good and contends for the conference title is going to have a pretty happy fan base

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010

It is interesting, but I think it would probably come down to National perception and their performance in NY6 bowls and just making appearances in the playoffs. As long as Oklahoma keeps recruiting at the level that they are, they’re going to be competitive in the SEC. They just won’t be winning as many conference titles.

But who knows what the new playoff expansion will bring. If it’s 12, you’re probably going to see 4 sec teams, at least 3. I like OUs chances In those circumstances.

Midnight Toker

Federal Marshal
May 28, 2010

East
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

West
Arkansas
LSU
Miss State
Missouri
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Texas
Texas A&M
That’s very unlikely to happen. What’s the most likely outcome will be a series of four 4 team pods.

9 game conference schedule. play everyone in your pod, and then two teams from every other pod. Every team plays each other at least every other year. Which also means everyone plays a road game at everyone else’s house at least once every four years. you split it into two divisions, there will be a lot of matchups that only take place once every four or five years. And some programs haven’t even taken a visit to others yet. Aggie joined the SEC in 2011, and Georgia isn’t taking a visit to college station until 2024. Pods are the way to go