Building Boom in Stillwater and Rare Earth Facility news in Stillwater!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
With the widening of Perkins Rd with wide sidewalks paths and bicycles paths it will improve city bicycle and walking ratings.

Some company making AirBNB housing across the street from Hideaway upstairs. Many students are living off campus since COVID and housing in Stillwater is costly with premium prices. There are wide scale construction of houses being build in Stillwater. Some Condos are being build close to Boomer Lake with very high prices. I see the Motel near 6th Street and Western is either being renovated or going to be bull dozed.

We went to Louie’s downtown recently and seemed to be many vacant spaces for lease. Many of the medical marijuana distribution center were initially everywhere but some have closed. If recreational marijuana is legalized being a college town it could get out of hand unless the government restricts location sites where you can buy recreational marijuana.

The USA Rare Earth and OSU Geology or Energy Department are supposed to have a partnership for research of energy. USA Rare Earth received funding from Federal and State Government. This may be expanding or growing industry bringing jobs to Stillwater.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
USARareEarth is advertising for one position in Stillwater so far:

Project Manager – Metals & Magnets Division
STILLWATER, OK

Apply for this position

Back to Jobs
The principal project manager will coordinate the multi-phase development of the first U.S. based rare earth metal and sintered neo-magnet manufacturing facility in Stillwater, OK. The project manager will oversee, coordinate, and manage engineering and construction activities of the manufacturing facility, ensuring compliance with project specifications as well as federal, state, and local regulations. The project manager will administer contracts, assign/track engineering task orders, and assign/track general contracting task orders.

The ideal candidate has PM experience from the chemical or metals processing industry, understands process flows, high tech equipment performance, OH&S, and other related matters in a manufacturing environment.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
A new gas Station looks like a 7-11 going up next to IHOP. it may have battery chargers. I asked the On Que manager if they were going to put battery chargers in and there was no plan to have chargers in the Stillwater On Cues. My guess is stations get federal funds for battery charger similar to how USA Rare Earth received millions of federal funds.

Now Elon Musk is setting up a plant in Texas to find lithium and process it for his electrical vehicles.

Last edited:

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
A new gas Station looks like a 7-11 going up next to IHOP. it may have battery chargers. I asked the On Que manager if they were going to put battery chargers in and there was no plan to have chargers in the Stillwater On Cues. My guess is stations get federal funds for battery charger similar to how USA Rare Earth received millions of federal funds.

Now Elon Musk is setting up a plant in Texas to find lithium and process it for his electrical vehicles.
I remember when Rare Earth played a concert in Bartlesville around 1972. I think I blew a chance to lose my virginity when a girl I was walking home tried to lead me through an opening through a hedge in a place I knew there was a chain link fence behind. I immediately corrected her and led her around the fence. Only later did I think "hmmm.....we were in her neighborhood, not mine....maybe she knew exactly where she was taking me."

Anyway, probably not the same Rare Earth.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
With the widening of Perkins Rd with wide sidewalks paths and bicycles paths it will improve city bicycle and walking ratings.

Some company making AirBNB housing across the street from Hideaway upstairs. Many students are living off campus since COVID and housing in Stillwater is costly with premium prices. There are wide scale construction of houses being build in Stillwater. Some Condos are being build close to Boomer Lake with very high prices. I see the Motel near 6th Street and Western is either being renovated or going to be bull dozed.

We went to Louie’s downtown recently and seemed to be many vacant spaces for lease. Many of the medical marijuana distribution center were initially everywhere but some have closed. If recreational marijuana is legalized being a college town it could get out of hand unless the government restricts location sites where you can buy recreational marijuana.

The USA Rare Earth and OSU Geology or Energy Department are supposed to have a partnership for research of energy. USA Rare Earth received funding from Federal and State Government. This may be expanding or growing industry bringing jobs to Stillwater.
Don't see why local government should restrict rec marijuana shops that meet current commercial zoning laws. How else do you expect to fill up existing vacant store spaces downtown? With more craft beer bars? Like it or not, vacant commercial store space in Stillwater' is going to have to mostly concentrate on what the Internet can't do. Hopefully, that can mean more restaurants, too.

Oct 1, 2006
USA

COVID did not change how many students live off campus. In fact, more students live on campus right now than ever before.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
COVID did not change how many students live off campus. In fact, more students live on campus right now than ever before.
I've heard (anecdotally) that fall 2020, a lot of kids chose off campus out of fear that the dorms would close again and they'd be kicked out of the dorms. Some didn't want to go back home to take online classes, some had good jobs that they didn't want to leave.

I think high real estate costs are driving them back to campus now.