Men's Basketball Bryce Thompson transfers to OSU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
So does Woody impact Bryce ?
It's interesting to look at the numbers. We have 3 spots to fill from Cunningham, Flavors, & Mitchell, but we could have as many as 5 if Anderson & Williams don't return. On the other hand, we could have fewer to fill if the scholarship reduction stands.

Woody Newton's commitment probably impacts Bayron Matos the most, because they're fairly similar players. Matos probably got his offer pulled this morning. My guess is that they'll continue to go hard after Bryce Thomson & Tyty Washington to bolster our backcourt though.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
So does Woody impact Bryce ?
It's interesting to look at the numbers. We have 3 spots to fill from Cunningham, Flavors, & Mitchell, but we could have as many as 5 if Anderson & Williams don't return. On the other hand, we could have fewer to fill if the scholarship reduction stands.

Woody Newton's commitment probably impacts Bayron Matos the most, because they're fairly similar players. Matos probably got his offer pulled this morning. My guess is that they'll continue to go hard after Bryce Thomson & Tyty Washington to bolster our backcourt though.
Newton’s a freshman with 4 years of eligibility left. Those are the type that can help us both short and long term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria

My understanding is that if Bryce Williams returns, he will not count against the 13. It would be a free scholarship.

Sep 23, 2010
So we have 4 scholarships we could fill then even if Bryce comes back. Cade, Bryce, Flavors, Mitchell.

Newton fills one of those.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I actually have a bit of uneasiness about signing BT. We all know his pedigree and that he was/is a 5 star recruit, but he comes across as flaky to me. Why is he leaving Kansas; one of the storied programs in CBB? Why is he leaving a hall of fame coach that has put lots of players into the NBA? Being pushed too hard, not getting enough playing time to make him happy, etc.? I don't know and want to assume the best as every OSU fan knows, second chances can mean great things.

Of course if we sign him, I will probably be pleased and hope that he lives up to his potential, however something just isn't sitting right for some reason. I have the same thoughts on that Kentucky transfer that has been mentioned a few times (Cam'ron Fletcher).
I usually have reservations about folks like this too. But Mario Bogan and Matt Pilgrim were both good results as transfers
And Mo Baker and Victor Williams and John Lucas and Joey Graham and Daniel Bobik and Tony Allen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

So we have 4 scholarships we could fill then even if Bryce comes back. Cade, Bryce, Flavors, Mitchell.

Newton fills one of those.
IIRC, when Mitchell received his scholarship, Boynton said Mitchell would have a scholarship as long as he was in the program. Has he left the program?

Oct 30, 2007
IIRC, when Mitchell received his scholarship, Boynton said Mitchell would have a scholarship as long as he was in the program. Has he left the program?
From what I've read, Mitchell's scholarship was only intended to be for 1 year. I bet that they'll leave him on scholarship if they have a spot open though.

https://pokesreport.com/s/847/oklahoma-state-lands-syracuse-transfer-forward-woody-newton/4
While this is the first commitment of the class, Newton could potentially be the first of three spots filled as Cade Cunningham, Ferron Flavors Jr. and Dee Mitchell’s scholarships will be available next year. However, it will all depend on the NCAA’s decision as a reduction of three scholarships over the next three seasons is a part of the punishment being appealed.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
From
From what I've read, Mitchell's scholarship was only intended to be for 1 year. I bet that they'll leave him on scholarship if they have a spot open though.

https://pokesreport.com/s/847/oklahoma-state-lands-syracuse-transfer-forward-woody-newton/4
While this is the first commitment of the class, Newton could potentially be the first of three spots filled as Cade Cunningham, Ferron Flavors Jr. and Dee Mitchell’s scholarships will be available next year. However, it will all depend on the NCAA’s decision as a reduction of three scholarships over the next three seasons is a part of the punishment being appealed.
The last sentence.
https://247sports.com/college/oklah...uotes-press-conference-159560892/#159560892_1

Mitchell joined the Oklahoma State program as a walk-on in 2019. Prior to this season, Mitchell thought his playing career might be over. His mother saw a reduction in hours at her job because of the COVID-19 pandemic, but remained employed. In order to pay for school and bills for both himself and his mom, Mitchell got a full-time job at Walmart, working 30-40 hours a week. Not only did Mitchell maintain all A's and B's during a 19-hour course load in the fall semester, he kept his spot as a walk-on with Oklahoma State basketball. Now, Mitchell is on full-scholarship and won't have to worry about paying tuition for his remaining years with the Cowboys.

Oct 30, 2007
From
The last sentence.
https://247sports.com/college/oklah...uotes-press-conference-159560892/#159560892_1

Mitchell joined the Oklahoma State program as a walk-on in 2019. Prior to this season, Mitchell thought his playing career might be over. His mother saw a reduction in hours at her job because of the COVID-19 pandemic, but remained employed. In order to pay for school and bills for both himself and his mom, Mitchell got a full-time job at Walmart, working 30-40 hours a week. Not only did Mitchell maintain all A's and B's during a 19-hour course load in the fall semester, he kept his spot as a walk-on with Oklahoma State basketball. Now, Mitchell is on full-scholarship and won't have to worry about paying tuition for his remaining years with the Cowboys.
That's odd. Cody posted that back in January, but he didn't include Mitchell in the scholarship projections for basketball that he posted last week. So I'm not sure what the deal is.

Mar 11, 2006
He is very good. Seen him play since he was about 4-years old.

My guess is TU and follow his father’s alma mater and good friend who is an assistant coach.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
My original post wasn’t about transfers in general, it was Bryce Thompson specifically. Just have a meh feeling about him.
Terrel harris 2.0. Doesnt seem like a game changer to me
Harris was a really good three starter who played a role on a couple tourney teams. If Thompson could come in and average double digits for three years in a row, like Harris did, our team would be better for it. Harris also led the Big 12 in steals his senior year and was an excellent defender, again if Thompson could do that then hell yeah. It’s a weird comparison to compare someone to Harris and say they wouldn’t be a difference maker.

Sep 22, 2018
Austin
Harris was a really good three starter who played a role on a couple tourney teams. If Thompson could come in and average double digits for three years in a row, like Harris did, our team would be better for it. Harris also led the Big 12 in steals his senior year and was an excellent defender, again if Thompson could do that then hell yeah. It’s a weird comparison to compare someone to Harris and say they wouldn’t be a difference maker.
I agree with all that about harris, he was a good player for us. But b.t. with 5 stars and all the hype and 1 and done stuff, i could see him a harris-like player for us but not set the world on fire. Im still saying you take him for sure

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Terrel Harris was the #75 ranked player out of high school. Sign me up for another player like him. His class was stacked.

Gerald "NBA" Green
Keith "more sightings than bigfoot" Brumbaugh
Byron Eaton
Roderick Flemings
Kenneth Cooper (man, I wish he would have stayed)
Jamaal Brown
Mario Boggan
Torre Johnson
Tyler Hatch???

Jun 14, 2011
Terrel Harris was the #75 ranked player out of high school. Sign me up for another player like him. His class was stacked.

Gerald "NBA" Green
Keith "more sightings than bigfoot" Brumbaugh
Byron Eaton
Roderick Flemings
Kenneth Cooper (man, I wish he would have stayed)
Jamaal Brown
Mario Boggan
Torre Johnson
Tyler Hatch???
O-what could have been... (sad sigh)

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Bryce Thompson is a dang good basketball player. He was a McDonald's All American for a reason. Now I don't know where he is gonna go but he can play some ball. Had injuries and missed some time last year.