Men's Basketball Bryce Thompson transfers to OSU

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 8, 2007
OKC
Per Tipton Edits on Instagram - Thompson is entering the portal. College basketball's free agency continues to be crazy.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
College basketball's free agency continues to be crazy.
It's destroying the sport. People love college basketball because it is COLLEGE basketball. If it becomes just another D-League or NBA lite, people will care about it as much as they care about the D-league.

That said, you gotta play by the rules handed down. Would love to get Bryce as a transfer (and hope they shut these transfers down starting next year :D).

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article250303824.html

I see that the Big 12 was expected to vote on changing their intra-conference transfer rules in early April, but I can't find the vote results. Does anyone know what they decided?
Two weeks and no results? It did say that if the athletic directors approved, then the university presidents would have to review it before it could be finalized. So I would think "no news'" is good news.

Jan 13, 2008
Twitter is blowing up with OSU fans on his announcement.

Broken right index finger and cracked vertebrae during the season. I think I would also look for new scenery.

I hope he chooses the Pokes and realizes how much he can grow under Boynton and that there is work to be done.

Dec 21, 2008
Another big fish in a bigger pond. Great family and young man but he wanted to be the Alpha at a blue blood. He’s a shooter. That’s his M.O. the big 12 has many 6’7-8” defenders who stick on you like glue, ask Dizzy & Ferron. Teams took away his strength and he was injured so hard to compete.

saw people saying he will end up at home town Tulsa. Less pressure, can be a 20ppg guy and make tournament runs in that conference. Haiti has signed a couple 4 star studs for next yr. TU could be tough like ORU was this year

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Another big fish in a bigger pond. Great family and young man but he wanted to be the Alpha at a blue blood. He’s a shooter. That’s his M.O. the big 12 has many 6’7-8” defenders who stick on you like glue, ask Dizzy & Ferron. Teams took away his strength and he was injured so hard to compete.

saw people saying he will end up at home town Tulsa. Less pressure, can be a 20ppg guy and make tournament runs in that conference. Haiti has signed a couple 4 star studs for next yr. TU could be tough like ORU was this year
I was thinking he’d pick UNC for that reason but that makes more sense. I don’t feel like we have much of a shot for some reason. Your post is probably the reason.

Jan 13, 2008
Good article. I do like the fact that of his final four teams (KU, OU, OSU, UNC), both OU and UNC will have new coaches next year. That leaves only OSU as a known commodity.

https://twitter.com/KellyHinesTW/status/1382346668109041664

Sep 23, 2010
Good article in the Tulsa World. Sounds like OSU would have a good shot if he wants to stay at the Big 12 level and he has trust in MB. We have been swinging and missing so far in the portal. Fortunately, there are a bunch in the portal this year.

Jun 14, 2011
I actually have a bit of uneasiness about signing BT. We all know his pedigree and that he was/is a 5 star recruit, but he comes across as flaky to me. Why is he leaving Kansas; one of the storied programs in CBB? Why is he leaving a hall of fame coach that has put lots of players into the NBA? Being pushed too hard, not getting enough playing time to make him happy, etc.? I don't know and want to assume the best as every OSU fan knows, second chances can mean great things.

Of course if we sign him, I will probably be pleased and hope that he lives up to his potential, however something just isn't sitting right for some reason. I have the same thoughts on that Kentucky transfer that has been mentioned a few times (Cam'ron Fletcher).

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I actually have a bit of uneasiness about signing BT. We all know his pedigree and that he was/is a 5 star recruit, but he comes across as flaky to me. Why is he leaving Kansas; one of the storied programs in CBB? Why is he leaving a hall of fame coach that has put lots of players into the NBA? Being pushed too hard, not getting enough playing time to make him happy, etc.? I don't know and want to assume the best as every OSU fan knows, second chances can mean great things.

Of course if we sign him, I will probably be pleased and hope that he lives up to his potential, however something just isn't sitting right for some reason. I have the same thoughts on that Kentucky transfer that has been mentioned a few times (Cam'ron Fletcher).
Maybe it’s KU that’s flaky and not him? Maybe now that he’s on the inside he sees they’re about to get some sanctions handed down and he doesn’t want to be around for that?

Jun 14, 2011
Maybe it’s KU that’s flaky and not him? Maybe now that he’s on the inside he sees they’re about to get some sanctions handed down and he doesn’t want to be around for that?
Good points that I did not consider in my initial post. Thanks!

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
But doesn't mean that Conferences have to change their rules that say you must sit a year if you transfer within the Conference.
I believe it is still an option for intraconference transfers.

I'm all for full open transfers. Chris Beard isn't sitting out a year moving from Tech to Texas.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
It's destroying the sport. People love college basketball because it is COLLEGE basketball. If it becomes just another D-League or NBA lite, people will care about it as much as they care about the D-league.

That said, you gotta play by the rules handed down. Would love to get Bryce as a transfer (and hope they shut these transfers down starting next year :D).
A player can get termed from their scholarship at any time.

Also a significant amount of players sign for coaches and relationships with coaches and not the programs. If a coach had to sit for a year when he changes programs; it would be logical to ask players to sit. But they don’t and it seems unreasonable.

Also, scholarship players are not the property of a university. They are individuals that have rights that entered into a contract that can be termed at any time by the university and we need to look at the young men as such.

Jun 20, 2013

I usually have reservations about folks like this too. But Mario Bogan and Matt Pilgrim were both good results as transfers