Broken Arrow accused of constitutional violation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
My question — If no Broken Arrow parent complained and no record of any Broken Arrow student complaining…why did KRMG pick up this story about a Wisconsin-based group upset about what they saw posted on Facebook from the Battle Creek FCA pastor?
They're called the "Freedom From Religion Foundation".

"The foundation’s website lists numerous occasions where it has taken legal action against a wide-variety of government entities."

As to why KRMG picked up the story....it's seems pretty relevant news that the "Freedom From Religion Foundation" might end up suing a Broken Arrow school district. It'll be interesting to see if they can drum up a victim that has standing to sue. I predict they won't find one, and this will all be forgotten in a month or so.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm laughing at your determination....without knowing the specifics as well....that it "sounds like" whatever you're wanting it to "sound like".

And then asking based upon what you think it "sounds like" to convince you of where the constitutional violation is.

I don't know what all the facts are or whether it was a constitutional violation.....neither do you. The difference between us is that I am not making a judgment call based upon what it "sounds like" to me.

You said on page 1:

That doesn't appear to be what happened here though based upon the OP.
Doesn't sounds like, doesn't appear, tomato, tomato.

The OP said "At least 10 student athletes were baptized at football practice by one of the coaches.". Subsequent sources in this thread have seemed to contradict that. So yes, it "sounds like" it was indeed different than how it was originally reported. If I see new information, I may rethink my opinion which at this point is that no constitutional violation occurred.

Mar 11, 2006
They're called the "Freedom From Religion Foundation".

"The foundation’s website lists numerous occasions where it has taken legal action against a wide-variety of government entities."

As to why KRMG picked up the story....it's seems pretty relevant news that the "Freedom From Religion Foundation" might end up suing a Broken Arrow school district. It'll be interesting to see if they can drum up a victim that has standing to sue. I predict they won't find one, and this will all be forgotten in a month or so.
The organization is also very pro-choice, among other causes. Their President even has come out against T-shirts saying “Proud to be an American”.

It is one thing if parents were upset about what happened and then this organization jumped in to support their legal fight. That would make sense and be completely understandable. I applaud organizations that jump in and help support issues for those that don’t have the means to lodge formal legal action. But that is not what happened. As far as we know, there are zero complaints from Broken Arrow constituents. This KAREN organization jumped into this without knowing the context and without any bearing or association with Broken Arrow.

I don’t personally know these BA coaches, but I know many coaches that live to make the lives better of the youths that they coach. To attempt to paint this as a negative is just about creating division —-when unity was what appears was occurring. This may have been the most important moment in the lives in some of these young men …and this group, without anyone asking, is making their day of celebration into a day of controversy.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
If you follow a literal interpretation of the Bible, I don't see how they aren't. Everyone always gives the earth being created in six days, and that's a fair one. But lets even go to the New Testament. The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many. Matthew 27:52–53. Dead people just walking around. BFD, apparently. Science says that doesn't happen with people. No way, no how. So when someone says they follow science and religion, which wins out here?
Why do you think some of our greatest scientists are Christians?

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Have your read Thomas Jefferson's letter to the the christians in R.I about this issue?.
Dude the courts have upheld the distinction. Don't come after someone for stating a fact. You want the sons of Satan doing satanic rituals at school? There is more than one religion out there.

Nov 18, 2011
Matthew 5: 10-12
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Nov 18, 2011
Same Wisconsin group that threatened the city of BA 5 or 6 years ago over a water tower that lists a churches name on it. The church donated land to the city and in return the city painted the name of the church on it. To my knowledge it is still up and nothing has come of it.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
You said on page 1:

Doesn't sounds like, doesn't appear, tomato, tomato.

The OP said "At least 10 student athletes were baptized at football practice by one of the coaches.". Subsequent sources in this thread have seemed to contradict that. So yes, it "sounds like" it was indeed different than how it was originally reported. If I see new information, I may rethink my opinion which at this point is that no constitutional violation occurred.
LOL.

I comment that based upon an an accounting of the facts is given it doesn't appear....

Then a second contradictory accounting of the facts is given. You decide that one "sounds like" it's more true to you than the other, even though you don't know which one is true, and declare no constitutional violation.

Whereas, I'm saying I don't know which contradictory account is true and am not passing judgment one way or the other.

Not even close to the same thing.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
LOL.

I comment that based upon an an accounting of the facts is given it doesn't appear....

Then a second contradictory accounting of the facts is given. You decide that one "sounds like" it's more true to you than the other, even though you don't know which one is true, and declare no constitutional violation.

Whereas, I'm saying I don't know which contradictory account is true and am not passing judgment one way or the other.

Not even close to the same thing.
Your statement was a reply to someone else to refute their point despite you now admitting you don't know one way or the other.

I stated my opinion, based on the information available. I then asked for anyone to convince me otherwise, and I'm more than willing to change my opinion if given new information. That's called debate.

You provided no info to debate whatsoever, just stated that I am wrong. And that "sounds like" you do have an opinion, especially since you have chosen not to call out any of the several people who have said they think this IS a constitutional violation, only those who say they think it is not.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Your statement was a reply to someone else to refute their point despite you now admitting you don't know one way or the other.

I stated my opinion, based on the information available. I then asked for anyone to convince me otherwise, and I'm more than willing to change my opinion if given new information. That's called debate.

You provided no info to debate whatsoever, just stated that I am wrong. And that "sounds like" you do have an opinion, especially since you have chosen not to call out any of the several people who have said they think this IS a constitutional violation, only those who say they think it is not.

Sure thing pigeon.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Why do you think some of our greatest scientists are Christians?
You didn't address any of my questions and just posed your own. Fine, then, but I don't think your question is going to garner the response you want. There's two problems with it:

1) It could just as easily be asked why some scientists are Muslim or Hindu. You need to answer that before you can ask about Christians.
2) The majority of scientists aren't Christian. So why do you think that is?

But lets leave the conjecture behind and just use the data. This is a chart showing the percentage of scientists who consider themselves even slightly religious compared to their general population
1634226265792.png

It's 3 out of 10 for the US. And I'll wager heavily that this number is on a drastic decline. 70% of scientists aren't even slightly religious in this country. And the nations with the higher %'s are heavily influence by religion. It's almost as if it's a construct of your society more than anything else.

One thing to note is that this is religious, not Christian. So there's a good chance that those 3 aren't even all Christians. As a matter of fact, if you look at weekly attendance at religious ceremonies, the number of scientists falling into the faithful category plummets to 1 out of 10.
1634226320516.png

So why do you think so few scientists are Christian?

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2378023116664353