Bracketology

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
After going 7-1 in the first round, the big 12 is 1-4 so far in the second. After the cheating scandal broke, I can't stand rooting for KU, but I might have to swallow that bitter pill tonight. Ugh. I need a shower just for saying it.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
After going 7-1 in the first round, the big 12 is 1-4 so far in the second. After the cheating scandal broke, I can't stand rooting for KU, but I might have to swallow that bitter pill tonight. Ugh. I need a shower just for saying it.
I mean the Big 10 isn’t fairing any better. They have yet to get a team into the Sweet 16 and they have 2 more chances. Michigan is winning right now and Maryland tonight. Just a tough year.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
The B10 and B12 (as hard as it is to admit it) were both waaaaaay over-rated.
That's definitely part of it, but there's some weirdness beyond that. The big 12 went 6-1 in the first round and looked decent, then went 1-5 and looked terrible, aside from Baylor and maybe Tech. We beat Arkansas and OU beat Alabama, yet both are in the sweet 16 and have looked good so far. We beat 3 of the sweet 16 teams and aside from 15 minutes of freshman panic, we would have likely been there, yet KU loses by 30+ to USC?

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
That's definitely part of it, but there's some weirdness beyond that. The big 12 went 6-1 in the first round and looked decent, then went 1-5 and looked terrible, aside from Baylor and maybe Tech. We beat Arkansas and OU beat Alabama, yet both are in the sweet 16 and have looked good so far. We beat 3 of the sweet 16 teams and aside from 15 minutes of freshman panic, we would have likely been there, yet KU loses by 30+ to USC?
The Big 12 probably only went 6-1 because they were overseeded. Probably more teams would have lost if they were seeded 5 and had to play a 12 seed.

But, I also don't think it's just as simple as watching the tournament play out one time and claiming a conference is overrated. They could start over the tournament this Friday and there could be 25 different results.

However, I do think its fair to say the Pac 12 was underrated. They have some quality teams, and they are proving it.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Consistency with officiating is horrible. Some people will say, at least they are calling it the same way through the game, but that means nothing when it is so extreme from one game to the next. What do you do when the ref basically changes the rules? The variance from game to game is too large.

Blocks being called charges. Someone wrote that if they had to make jazz hands instead of the punch out signal when making the charge call, there wouldn't be near as many.

53 fouls in our game against Oregon State. They basically took Kalib, AA, and Bryce out of the game for an extended amount of time. 2 phantom calls on Bryce. I will admit AA's 4th foul was not smart on his part (piggy-backs are not allowed in basketball). All of our scoring runs were stopped with back to back to back foul calls, destroying any momentum.

It is time to have the head official answer questions about the game and if he says he can't speak on something he didn't call, then that official needs to be there too.
OR
It is time to get these officials in the SAME room at the SAME time and review the fouls before the season and again before the NCAA tournament. Allow a waiver every other year for the meeting before the season starts, however the NCAA tournament meeting is mandatory. NCAA makes a lot of money, they can make it happen.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
The Big 12 probably only went 6-1 because they were overseeded. Probably more teams would have lost if they were seeded 5 and had to play a 12 seed.

But, I also don't think it's just as simple as watching the tournament play out one time and claiming a conference is overrated. They could start over the tournament this Friday and there could be 25 different results.

However, I do think its fair to say the Pac 12 was underrated. They have some quality teams, and they are proving it.
I completely agree about higher seeding leading to wins. However I don't think the BIG12 went 6-1 in the first round because they were over seeded. I watched all of the Big12 games and they were playing well except Texas. The only victory that was in question was Kansas because those twins combined for 9-16 from 3pts plus Kansas was missing Wilson, they still won by 9. OU won without one of their best players. OSU played an under-seeded Liberty team, plus we never blow out teams. Minus Texas, Big 12 went 4-2 ATS with only Baylor and Kansas not covering, they both missed by 1.5pts

I still don't know how Shaka keeps his job.

PAC 12 was definitely better than anyone realized, but I think seeding was a product of an abbreviated non-conference with USC beating BYU as the only non-con win against a team that made it into the tournament as an at-large. Portland State, Montana, Wyoming just doesn't get it done. However I also think the committee doesn't watch enough basketball or this wouldn't have happened. Why watch when you can just point at the NET rankings?

Big 10 was definitely not as good as people thought. I must only watch Duane Washington (Ohio State) when he chokes, stats say he is a great player, but I've never seen it.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Inconsistent reffing from one game to another is definitely a big hurdle. but I said it in one of the other threads I think, there are a lot of teams that advanced past the first weekend that basically brought a game to the table that was totally different or based different than what they play in the regular season. There were a lot of teams that went lights out shooting threes that don't do that in the normal season. There were teams playing hard man defense that don't normally do that regular season. And there were teams whose bread and butter is shooting threes and they played lights out in the paint.

Was some of that planned? Maybe. It could be that those teams were just more adaptable to what was shown them in the games and they switched up their normal routine to win the game. Others simply could be because they just got hot doing something different and stuck with it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Parity in basketball.

Is there any wonder the powers that be don't want an expanded playoff in football where those who get to participate isn't decided by a committee?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Parity in basketball.

Is there any wonder the powers that be don't want an expanded playoff in football where those who get to participate isn't decided by a committee?
Regular season games matter a lot less when you expand the playoff much more than it is because in theory every game matters more when any one loss could knock you out of the playoff. Plus, bowl games become more irrelevant, or at least that's the prevailing logic. Regular season and bowl game TV deals keep it as is, though it sounds like expanding to 8 could happen. P5 champions plus 3. Any G5 team in the top 10 gets in.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Regular season games matter a lot less when you expand the playoff much more than it is because in theory every game matters more when any one loss could knock you out of the playoff. Plus, bowl games become more irrelevant, or at least that's the prevailing logic. Regular season and bowl game TV deals keep it as is, though it sounds like expanding to 8 could happen. P5 champions plus 3. Any G5 team in the top 10 gets in.
I get it, but I hate this argument. NFL has meaningless games sometimes, but people still watch overall. There will still be a game every single weekend that will factor into bowl placement, conference championships, playoffs etc. I really hate the emphasis placed on the regular season, as if that is what is truly supposed to matter, when a single regular season loss doesn't screw you of a title in literally any other sport. I most hate the feeling of being 6-0, dropping a fluke mid season game, and then feeling like the season is over (just like this season after the texas loss). For 99% of programs, it makes the season less enjoyable overall when a single game knocks you out of the national picture.