Bracketology *Pokes are a 4 seed in The Dance*

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Ugh I made a mistake. I went and watched a compilation of NCAA tournament upsets and it was littered with 4s losing to 13s. And just so many Big 12 teams. Now I'm nervous.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Ugh I made a mistake. I went and watched a compilation of NCAA tournament upsets and it was littered with 4s losing to 13s. And just so many Big 12 teams. Now I'm nervous.
I'm OK. I feel like we have a TEAM for the first time since 2005. Also a pretty good bench. Anything can happen, but our guys seem mentally and physically tough.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I'm calling it now. The only Big 12 Team that MIGHT lose in the first round is OU. However, my bracket has everyone winning. I just think the Big 12 is better than most (B1G the possible exception) every other conference in the nation at their respective seeds. I think OU will mop the floor with Missouri.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I'm calling it now. The only Big 12 Team that MIGHT lose in the first round is OU. However, my bracket has everyone winning. I just think the Big 12 is better than most (B1G the possible exception) every other conference in the nation at their respective seeds. I think OU will mop the floor with Missouri.
OU doesn't have Da'Vion Harmon so that probably hurts their chances of winning. I have everyone else winning though.

Nov 14, 2010
View attachment 89406
Why do people think we are losing to this team? Our point guard is an inch shorter than they tallest player. They aren’t going to be able to deal with our length and our size. Kalib Boone, MAM, and Cade are all 6’7” and taller. Ice is 6’5”. I know size isn’t anything but we are tall, fast, and athletic. Unless they shoot 60% from three I don’t think this game is going to be close
Here's what I'm being told.......
I don't know much about basketball, so, this is from a source that does.

Liberty plays a style that has the potential to be kryptonite to how we score.

They play pack line defense.

That means they set up to be good at getting back in transition and limiting our transition points and forcing us to make jump shots to score.

Not that we can't do that, but that's not the world we've lived in offensively for the most part.

So... they have a style that has the potential to force us to play in a way we haven't had to.

On offense, they will work the clock and give a lot of motion that has nothing to do with the play just simply to wear our defenders down.

Our defenders will have to chase motion for 20 seconds on average every possession.

Then, after that, will have to make a jump shot on the other end to score.

At the end of the possession, after they've forced us to chase, they will shoot a bunch of threes.

They are top five in the country in three point field goals made and three point percentage.

There is nothing more demoralizing than chasing motion for 20-25 seconds only to see the other team hit a three at the end of the possession.

Between that, and not being able to get to the rim off the dribble, that could really frustrate our young guys.

Then again, we could overwhelm them with our athleticism and size and make it easier on ourselves.

It will be interesting to see which one happens, where we overwhelm them with size and athleticism, or, whether their style makes the game tough on us.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa

That means they set up to be good at getting back in transition and limiting our transition points and forcing us to make jump shots to score.

Not that we can't do that, but that's not the world we've lived in offensively for the most part.

So... they have a style that has the potential to force us to play in a way we haven't had to.

On offense, they will work the clock and give a lot of motion that has nothing to do with the play just simply to wear our defenders down.

Our defenders will have to chase motion for 20 seconds on average every possession.

At the end of the possession, after they've forced us to chase, they will shoot a bunch of threes.

They are top five in the country in three point field goals made and three point percentage.

There is nothing more demoralizing than chasing motion for 20-25 seconds only to see the other team hit a three at the end of the possession.

Between that, and not being able to get to the rim off the dribble, that could really frustrate our young guys.

Then again, we could overwhelm them with our athleticism and size and make it easier on ourselves.

It will be interesting to see which one happens, where we overwhelm them with size and athleticism, or, whether their style makes the game tough on us.
Their style working is basically all contingent on them being able to knock down 3's. If they have an off shooting day, allowing us to make our living on transition offense, we might run them out of the building.

Jun 14, 2011

All fair points. I would add, as a team, shooting threes is probably one of our weak points. If Liberty gets back on D like they should be coached to do and pack the line, I'm really hoping HCMB has a lot of plays drawn up and that we can run them without sloppy turnovers.

On the flip side, if they don't pressure CC beyond the 3pt line (his biggest weakness), maybe he'll go off on shooting. Ideally we run a solid screen game for the pick and pop while also making crisp passes to open shooters with everyone crashing the boards.

I'm so damned excited for Friday.... and Sunday... AND the following several weekends b/c I'm confident I'll have a reason to keep wearing my OSU gear!

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
The problem with their strategy on defense is they can't beat us down the floor. In order for them to get back, they have to give up so much in terms of rebounding and 2nd chance points.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
The problem with their strategy on defense is they can't beat us down the floor. In order for them to get back, they have to give up so much in terms of rebounding and 2nd chance points.
Yep, its a battle of two contrasting styles for sure, but I would say our style is going to give them fits just as much as theirs gives us. I understand they have played and beaten some power 5 teams early in the season, but will they be able to get good shots off against our defense? That is going to be the true key to the game. If we are forcing them to shoot contested 3's consistently, then I really like our chances. Our 3 point defense ranking is a little bit misleading too, we gave up the three ball early on in conference and our ranking tanked, but we were much more stout 2nd half of league play. Baylor was not getting any wide open looks against us last week.