Boynton

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 5, 2007
Benton, Arkansas
Sorry if I am starting another thread on the same topic. But, there has never been a coach I wanted to succeed more than Mike Boynton. I really like the man. But, at some point he has to win. Every year is like a mirror image. We struggle in the Big 12 early and look better late. But, at some point the corner has to be rounded? We are great at recruiting "athletes" but what about shooters? Guys who make Free Throws. Not just dunkers and drivers with big bodies. Where is the development of our players from year to year?

I almost feel like we are better off taking the postseason ban this year and then make it clear that it is NCAA or bust in 21-22. If not we run the risk of not making the NCAA this season, taking the ban in 21-22, then 22-23 having to make the decision. Our program is being left behind by what I believe to be better coaching all around us. At some point we will be left behind into Big 12 obscurity.

Granted, it is not my money to spend or to make decisions on who stays or goes. But, we are on the clock as a program.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2009
New York
agreed, I want nothing more than for HCMB to succeed and be an all time great OSU coach but there is literally nothing that leads me to believe that is possible at this point. Even if we are banned from the tournament this year but our record indicates that we wouldn't have made the tournament anyway......he needs to go . This is absolutely a team that can win a game or two in the big dance

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Sorry if I am starting another thread on the same topic. But, there has never been a coach I wanted to succeed more than Mike Boynton. I really like the man. But, at some point he has to win. Every year is like a mirror image. We struggle in the Big 12 early and look better late. But, at some point the corner has to be rounded? We are great at recruiting "athletes" but what about shooters? Guys who make Free Throws. Not just dunkers and drivers with big bodies. Where is the development of our players from year to year?

I almost feel like we are better off taking the postseason ban this year and then make it clear that it is NCAA or bust in 21-22. If not we run the risk of not making the NCAA this season, taking the ban in 21-22, then 22-23 having to make the decision. Our program is being left behind but what I believe to be better coaching. At some point we can be left behind with better coaching being left behind into Big obscurity.

Granted, it is not my money to spend to make decisions on who stays or goes. But, we are on the clock as a program.
I said the same thing about taking the ban this year, we ain't making the tournament. Our program is sinking into obscurity right now...cut the cord at the end of the season. He can't coach at this level...period.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
This conference is tough from top to almost bottom. The refs suck. And Covid had killed home crowds. That said, the last 2 games have shown these guys have the ability to stand with anyone on an even playing field. We made free throws really on last night. Then we got our for some reason. We were making sure really but then they stopped falling. We very much are capable of playing good offense and defense and it shows. This team is right there and I'm going to wait until the end of the season to pass judgement. You guys cussing and getting into basically a pissing match on who loves coach but also hates him the most is ridiculous.

*Yes I know no one is cussing in this thread but I've seen it in game threads and heard it at the game last night.
That was the funniest because multiple bad calls by the refs to end the game up turned and we win. People cussing at the refs the last few minutes and then yelling and cussing at Boynton as they walk out of the game.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
This conference is tough from top to almost bottom. The refs suck. And Covid had killed home crowds. That said, the last 2 games have shown these guys have the ability to stand with anyone on an even playing field. We made free throws really on last night. Then we got our for some reason. We were making sure really but then they stopped falling. We very much are capable of playing good offense and defense and it shows. This team is right there and I'm going to wait until the end of the season to pass judgement. You guys cussing and getting into basically a pissing match on who loves coach but also hates him the most is ridiculous.

*Yes I know no one is cussing in this thread but I've seen it in game that's and heard it at the game last night.
That was the funniest because multiple bad calls by the refs to end the game up turned and we win. People cussing at the refs the last few minutes and then yelling and cussing at Boynton as they walk out of the game.

People yelled and cussed at Boynton at the game? Seems awkward when there is like 100 people in the stands. My wife would kill me when we got to the car.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

*Yes I know no one is cussing in this thread but I've seen it in game that's and heard it at the game last night.

blaming the loss on the refs is weak. you should never, ever, blow a 19 point lead, at home, w/ 10 minutes left. PERIOD.........

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA

If people were cursing at Boynton those are not the OSU fans I want to associate with. :(

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
blaming the loss on the refs is weak. you should never, ever, blow a 19 point lead, at home, w/ 10 minutes left. PERIOD.........
Giving up leads has been a troubling trend of this team....giving up a 9-0 run to end the tcu game was also unacceptable. I agree with the OP, I want Boynton to succeed here and am willing to give him some slack, but at some point, we need to turn a corner.

Aug 19, 2006
When HCMB was hired into this job, he was a rookie. No previous HC experience. He didn't come in as an established HC. Like it or not, he had a lot to learn but we knew that from day one. That was a choice our administration made when they hired him. I don't think it's fair to bail out on him now.

He's coaching in a conference with some of the most experienced and successful coaches in college basketball. We have to allow him time to get the experience and grow into the job. He's not going to turn into the next Eddie Sutton overnight. Look at how long its taken Shaka Smart to make UT competitive. And he came in with Final Four experience at VCU.

It was excrutiating to watch these games slip away but they were winnable. HCMB's good enough to make us competitive with some of the best programs in the country. He just needs to learn how to close them out and I believe he will. I'm sticking with him for now.

We were one Phil Forte away from winning those games and being a Top 10 team. Unfortunately this squad just doesn't have a go-to sharpshooter. WV shot their way back into that game. It wasn't so much Huggins making masterful adjustments that outfoxed Boynton.

Last edited:

Well

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
He's coaching in a conference with some of the most experienced and successful coaches in college basketball. We have to allow him time to get the experience and grow into the job. He's not going to turn into the next Eddie Sutton overnight. Look at how long its taken Shaka Smart to make UT competitive. And he came in with Final Four experience at VCU.
How long should we give him then?

Sep 29, 2006
When HCMB was hired into this job, he was a rookie. No previous HC experience. He didn't come in as an established HC. Like it or not, he had a lot to learn but we knew that from day one. That was a choice our administration made when they hired him. I don't think it's fair to bail out on him now.

It was excrutiating to watch these games slip away but they were winnable. HCMB's good enough to make us competitive with some of the best programs in the country. He just needs to learn how to close them out and I believe he will. I'm sticking with him for now.

We were one Phil Forte away from winning those games and being a Top 10 team. Unfortunately this squad just doesn't have a go-to sharpshooter. WV shot their way back into that game. It wasn't so much Huggins making masterful adjustments that outfoxed Boynton.
Agree 100%! People forget not only did MB not have any head coaching experience. He really had very little coaching experience period. He was primarily a recruiter. A “third chair” assistant. Most head coaches either work their way up from lower tier school to D1 to power 5 school, or from third chair to second to HC. Boynton skipped 4-5 years of growth.
If we’re to fire him, some other D1 school will get the benefit of his gaining experience at OSU. We will get someone worse while he is coaching in the sweet sixteen some day.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Agree 100%! People forget not only did MB not have any head coaching experience. He really had very little coaching experience period. He was primarily a recruiter. A “third chair” assistant. Most head coaches either work their way up from lower tier school to D1 to power 5 school, or from third chair to second to HC. Boynton skipped 4-5 years of growth.
If we’re to fire him, some other D1 school will get the benefit of his gaining experience at OSU. We will get someone worse while he is coaching in the sweet sixteen some day.
LOL, who would hire him??...we can't get much worse, so saying we would get someone worse is just ignorant and blind...this isn't a learn on the go level, go to JUCO or DII for that garbage.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2006
How long should we give him then?
We gave Travis Ford 8 years. And he came in with 10 years of head coaching experience.

If you want to swing for the fences and go after a Lon Kruger-caliber replacement, then feel free to break out your pocketbook and chip in. Boyton makes about $1M. The ante will start around $3M. Self makes $7M. Who's writing that check??

Dec 9, 2013

You are 100% correct in that it wasn’t so much Huggins making masterful adjustments it was a woefully inadequate Boynton making unnecessary substitutions and in game adjustments that were reflective of a team down double digits not up by 19.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
I think next year could be make or break for him. If he can't get a winning record and continued improvement from his team it might be time to look elsewhere.......but I also don't know who you are going to get at the door for a university with NCAA sanctions still fresh and a murders row of a schedule each season. Might get a few more years of him because of that.