Boynton and recruiting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Seems to me that Boynton, at least brining in 4 and 5 star guys for official visits, may be causing some of the recruiting frustrations for football. Marcus Smart was the last 5 star recruit we landed in basketball. Was Bobby Reid or XLK a 5 star guy?

Oct 29, 2016
US
I'm pretty sure Tyreek Hill was a 5* JUCO recruit.

IMO, Holder's gripe (and a valid one) about football recruiting, is the fact that QB recruiting has been an utter disaster after Rudolph committed. With the exception of Cornelius, I would trade our QB's for TU's.

I'm not being dramatic or anything. After watching OSU's and TU's in spring game, there is no question OSU's QB situation may be the reason .500 may be difficult to achieve this season, and maybe the next 1-5 years.

Cornelius had a spring game that may allow one to think we're gonna be just fine. But, don't let the numbers fool you..there is absolutely no doubt the defensive strategy was to allow Cornelius to gain confidence, for the upcoming season. Cornelius will be the starter, no doubt. And that's scary. Not one QB on campus would start for TU..except maybe Cornelius. Maybe. And I'm in doubt that would even happen. It's not good. Not good at all.

Last edited:

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

IMO, Holder's gripe (and a valid one) about football recruiting, is the fact that QB recruiting has been an utter disaster after Rudolph committed. With the exception of Cornelius, I would trade our QB's for TU's.

I'm not being dramatic or anything. After watching OSU's and TU's in spring game, there is no question OSU's QB situation may be the reason .500 may be difficult to achieve this season, and maybe the next 1-5 years.

Cornelius had a spring game that may allow one to think we're gonna be just fine. But, don't let the numbers fool you..there is absolutely no doubt the defensive strategy was to allow Cornelius to gain confidence, for the upcoming season. Cornelius will be the starter, no doubt. And that's scary. Not one QB on campus would start for TU..except maybe Cornelius. Maybe. And I'm in doubt that would even happen. It's not good. Not good at all.
Cornelius, the start, no doubt?

The two best QB's on this roster are Dru Brown and Sanders. Cornelius may start a game or two, but no way he's starter by conference time.

Nov 18, 2010
So our AD is out there stirring up animosity with our football coach...again.

I was told Holder was going to retire. What happened to that?

He just going to hang around until he runs off our football coach and we go back to being excited about 7-5 seasons? Maybe Les Miles will come back and beat OU in route to a 4-8 season and everyone will be super excited.

Oct 30, 2007
Our men's basketball program has consistently landed 4-star and 5-star prospects since our last final 4 appearance back in 2004. We've even signed several McDonald's AA's since then. Even Coach Underwood signed a 4-star prospect in Zach Dawson during his one year here. In fact, last year was only second time in the past 15 years that we didn't signed a 4-star or higher prospect in our class.

Our basketball program has more tradition than our football program. It's a lot easier to target a handful of top athletes as opposed to 40 to 50 in football. You can see all of the nation's top talent at AAU events.

I think the frustration in football comes from the lack of growth in recruiting. Basic logic tells you that after sustained success, you should see improvements in recruiting. Doors should start opening that were shut before your success. But we haven't really seen that. We're still recruiting diamond in the rough prospects on defense and we're shying away from prospects that are recruited by bigger schools. There's no reason why we shouldn't be winning our fair share of recruiting battles after the success we've had over the past decade.

Nov 18, 2010
Boddy Reid was a high 4* recruit not sure about XLK though.
XLK was 5 star if I remember correctly.
So Holder thinks we should chase star ratings...instead of evaluating players on our own. That's the take away.
I've never felt strongly about wanting an OSU person gone, but Holder seems absolutely TERRIBLE at dealing with coaches. His ego makes it impossible.
If we can't fire him, for whatever reason, please, please give him a different job.

HE'S NOT GOOD AT DEALING WITH COACHES.

(and hired someone else to pick our last major sport coach...couldn't be bothered to do his own research)

Jun 23, 2005
I seriously doubt that Gundy and staff deliberately shy away from 4 and 5 stars. I suspect they make contact and if there is a genuine reciprocal interest, they pursue them ( see Dax Hill). But, if they don’t sense a genuine interest they move on to the 2 and 3 stars who they think have talent and can be developed into good players. I’m sure they would love to load up with 4 and 5 star guys, but they have a proven track record of developing players and winning lots of games. Would have to ask Gundy, but my sense is that is what’s going on.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City

Yeah I'm not trading Spencer Sanders. He just won the Gatorade POY in the state of Texas....soooooooo i'm not sure what you're saying here. Kolar didn't pan out and Wudtee hasn't looked great either, but to say it has been a disaster is ridiculous. Also, Costello just committed from a HS in Cali that produces some talent.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

He just going to hang around until he runs off our football coach and we go back to being excited about 7-5 seasons? Maybe Les Miles will come back and beat OU in route to a 4-8 season and everyone will be super excited.
what @cowboyethics344 would look like if Miles came back:

https://media.giphy.com/media/KXmiWFl2mdE3K/giphy.gif

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa

Have you read the article??

Not good at dealing with coaches? How many coaches has he lost since he has been AD? According to him it is one. Capt Underpants. Other than that he has been the one firing coaches that he thought were underperforming and hiring others. And he has a point. We are great at developing talent to its highest potential, but look at the amount of kids we get drafted. Far fewer than other programs that have won less games than we have. So we are getting second tier talent and making them really good. What if we got some first tier talent and could develop them like we do the others?

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Does the interest from 4 or 5 star basketball players a reflection on OSU and our basketball history or a reflection of Coach Boynton and his reputation?

Right now I think it has more to do with Coach Boynton. Players and parents like him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
what @cowboyethics344 would look like if Miles came back:

https://media.giphy.com/media/KXmiWFl2mdE3K/giphy.gif
I don’t want miles back at this point. I want gundy to hire a Monken type guy to put somewhere that can motivate his team. He says not yelling at the kids is the key to success but monken sure yelled a lot and we won a big 12 title. Gundy is an a great offensive coach but he is clueless about motivating his teams and preparing a competent defense.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Does the interest from 4 or 5 star basketball players a reflection on OSU and our basketball history or a reflection of Coach Boynton and his reputation?

Right now I think it has more to do with Coach Boynton. Players and parents like him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've always said that recruiting is mostly about the coach(s). You can look at almost any sport and any team and see evidence of good performance with good coaches (likable, convincing), and then less than stellar performance with bad/mediocre coaches. You see it at Alabama, Michigan, OU, and even KState, Boise, etc., regardless of the sport.

The facilities and fan support do make a tremendous difference when a kid is deciding between two good coaches or two good programs - but a good coach comes first, aided by fan support and facilities.

The families have to feel good about the environment that they're sending their kid into, and the person that they are entrusting their child to.