Boise state/Game a thread combined

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 29, 2016
US
This will be Pitt 2017 2.0. I'm guessing this is the game where we click and give everyone hope. We'll have a bad game at some point in the season-we do that, but I honestly believe this is the game where we put it all together.
The o-line tho.. yikes. (Really tho, the entire offense performed like they should be bench-warmers, not 1st nor 2nd string)

369 total yards against Missouri State. North Dakota had slightly over 400.yards against Missouri State. Central Arkansas totaled more than 500 yards against Missouri State's defense.

313 total yards against Tulsa. UC Davis totalled over 400 yards against Tulsa's defense. The following week TU's defense easily stifled OSU's offense.. had Sanders not sprinted for 64 yards rushing, yikes. OSU barely managed slightly over 300 yards.

OSU's offense sputtered against two woefully weak defensive units. Missouri State's and TU's offense had more yards than our offense did. I just don't see OSU winning a game in conference play.. Kansas may be the only win.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I think those games Gundy wanted to see what he had in run game so he ran the ball against run D. This game he’ll actually do the “take what they give you” and we may be unbalanced but should move the ball better

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I think those games Gundy wanted to see what he had in run game so he ran the ball against run D. This game he’ll actually do the “take what they give you” and we may be unbalanced but should move the ball better
I predict he’ll do the exact same thing he’s been doing for the past few years: run up the gut, run off tackle, bubble screens, go routes and fades, and hope it works, ‘cause he ain’t changing it.

stonewallpoke

Durable Brigade
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Al Asad Airbase, Iraq
Go West, young men. Now we get to see how the Cowboys look up on that blue turf.

Okay, let's be fair here: a lot of people hear about Boise State and immediately dead-end their thought process at "oh, the school with the blue turf field". But Boise State has been way more than that for the better part of two decades now. They are a consistently ranked team that is a tough out, especially at home: their media guide states they have won 122 straight at home when leading after three quarters. They've won BCS bowls and slain big names. They're legitimately in the discussion to move to a Power 5 conference (probably the Big XII) in the future.

But yeah, blue turf, blue Earth, Papa Smurf. Don't matter, Pokes by 15.

Go Pokes! Beat the Broncos!

Oklahoma State University Cowboys vs. Boise State University Broncos
Kickoff: Saturday, September 18, 2021, 8:00 PM CDT
at Albertson's Stadium, Boise, ID
2021 Records
OSU 2-0 (0-0), BSU 1-1 (0-0)
OSU leads the series, 1-0
TV: FS1
Suddenlink: 37
DirecTV: 219

Radio:
Cowboy Radio Network (93.7 FM)
Sirius 113, XM 199, SXM App 953
: http://okla.st/osutunein

Discord Chat Server

Discord Chat Embedded

Listen Online

OSU Roster

OSU Game Notes

BSU Roster

BSU Game Notes

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
This post could be from any year since 2013. Why do you believe that Gundy will suddenly change his philosophies? He's proven to us over and over and over again that he won't. Why is this time any different for you?

Gundy thinks every game is as simple as "run the ball and throw it sideways" to bring safeties down. Once safeties are down, "throw it over the top". That's it. And his idea of "aggressive" is when our QB just throws 35+ yrd bombs (very low % plays) to outside WRs, or goes for it on a 4th down at some random point in a game. In most cases, Gundy being "aggressive" is just us doing something really dumb in that moment of the game. I just don't think he's capable of being intelligently and aggressively opportunistic, and it's because our offense is so simple that we aren't able to leverage play designs or personnel packages to take advantage of certain situation. Our players never really progress, because Gundy never challenges them. We run 4-5 plays over and over and over again. We are playing checkers while other teams are playing chess.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I think it might be good for us to go on the road. Maybe we can bring back the aggressive passing game on offense that we showed in the bowl game to beat a really good Miami team. Maybe not 10 straight pass plays to start the game, but not forced runs on first and second, pass on third down offense we have seen either. I'd rather go down because of some dropped balls and interceptions because of young receivers than go down running a vanilla predictable offense.

We can win this game. Go Pokes!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
When it comes to OSU athletics, I really do not enjoy being pessimistic. But if the first two games are an indication of things to come, we may finish 2nd to last in conference play. I despise proclaiming such.. the first two games were very concerning, to say the least. If we lose to Boise State, I think it's going to be Gundy's first losing season since his first year as OSU's HC.

Having said that, I'm hoping for a .500 or better season record. That may not be doable tho. But I'm hoping otherwise. Hopefully the Boise State game will erase any fears we all may harbor. I'm not sure that's going to happen, unfortunately.

Here's hoping that things will start clicking for the entire team and ASAP.

Side note: Gundy's first year was the only losing season of his tenure, right? My memories are a little fuzzy at the moment.
This is a popular way of thinking it seems, and I think it's partly due to us being in our own OSU bubble. Obviously, we haven't looked as good as we all would have hoped, but I think you're still giving the rest of the league too much credit to say that the only team we would beat is Kansas.

Tulsa probably (we hope) isn't that bad of a team. Now, if we want to beat OU, then yes, we should be destroying Tulsa. But even if we keep playing like we have 7-9 wins and middle of the pack Big 12 is not unreasonable. Just look at last week in the Big 12. Tech beats SFA by 6. KSU beats Southern Illinois by 8 and loses its starting QB. TCU beats Cal by 2 @ home (Cal is not good).

Am I feeling less confident now than 3 weeks ago that we will beat ISU or Texas on the road? Absolutely. Do I think that if we now lose to Boise on the road we're only winning 1 game the rest of the season. Not so fast.

There will be a lot of close games in the Big 12. We'll win some, we'll lose some, and we'll get destroyed by OU.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Hope you Cowboy fans are enjoying Boise this morning. A little taste of fall at 48 degrees. 47 here in Boulder.
I considered driving to Boise, but then realized it's farther than Stillwater.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
This post could be from any year since 2013. Why do you believe that Gundy will suddenly change his philosophies? He's proven to us over and over and over again that he won't. Why is this time any different for you?

Gundy thinks every game is as simple as "run the ball and throw it sideways" to bring safeties down. Once safeties are down, "throw it over the top". That's it. And his idea of "aggressive" is when our QB just throws 35+ yrd bombs (very low % plays) to outside WRs, or goes for it on a 4th down at some random point in a game. In most cases, Gundy being "aggressive" is just us doing something really dumb in that moment of the game. I just don't think he's capable of being intelligently and aggressively opportunistic, and it's because our offense is so simple that we aren't able to leverage play designs or personnel packages to take advantage of certain situation. Our players never really progress, because Gundy never challenges them. We run 4-5 plays over and over and over again. We are playing checkers while other teams are playing chess.
What's the deal with Gundy continually talking about how young our receivers are? That's why our offense sucks? They don't know how to run routes? They can't catch? How 'bout we actually design some plays to get them in space, throw it to them and see what happens, a la against Miami in the first half last year? He hardly threw to Tay Martin all of last year--said he was out of shape, etc. That's a dude that caught 150 passes for over 1700 yards at WSU, and now all of a sudden he's not ready for our mighty offense? He makes it sound like our offense is so complex and nuanced that it takes years to grasp the system, when we know that's not the case ("safety in simplicity"). I'm really tired of the continual excuses for his lack of coaching ability.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The young receivers were critical to the win against Tulsa. Seems like they did ok to me. Throw them the damn ball and see what happens this week.
Ultimately we've seen you have no choice. We don't have the personnel to do 4 yards and a cloud of dust.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
The young receivers were critical to the win against Tulsa. Seems like they did ok to me. Throw them the damn ball and see what happens this week.
The young receivers were OK, just the QB keep staring at one receiver only. Failed to see others or even defenders.

He cannot anticipate and only throw when the receiver get open, not before he was about to be open.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Ultimately we've seen you have no choice. We don't have the personnel to do 4 yards and a cloud of dust.
Thing is, we have never really had that since I've watched OSU except maybe when we had Tatum Bell and/or Vernand Morency, and even then we had dangerous WRs that ran excellent routes, and could stretch the field both directions. Plus we had TEs that could command attention between the hashes.

We had success running the ball with Holgorsen/Monken, because we could do KC Chiefs level field stretching using scheme to get playmakers the ball in space. Once the defense was spread out and dropping back, we could absolutely gash them on the ground.

We had a little success more recently due to NFL talent at RB (Chris Carson, Justice Hill, Chuba Hubbard) and WR (Washington, Blackmon, Wallace) who could out-athlete people a lot of times, but make no mistake - it wasn't due to scheme. Against equal or better competition, that approach had no chance of working, because we had no alternative strategies to employ.

If we can't out-athlete people, we lose. Simple as that. And that's garbage given how much our coaches make. That's middle school level coaching, not D1.

Jun 14, 2011
The young receivers were OK, just the QB keep staring at only one receiver only. Failed to see others or even defenders.

He cannot anticipate and only throw when the receiver get open, not before he was about to be open.
This is right on. Illingworth does it too, unfortunately. I recall one play against TU where SS looked one way when the ball was snapped and then started checking down through progressions. Don't recall the outcome of that specific play, but do recall saying: why the hell isn't that done way more often.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
This is right on. Illingworth does it too, unfortunately. I recall one play against TU where SS looked one way when the ball was snapped and then started checking down through progressions. Don't recall the outcome of that specific play, but do recall saying: why the hell isn't that done way more often.
Illingworth gets a bit of a pass still due to number of games played.