Boise state/Game a thread combined

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
For those who still support Gundy you will get a coach that wins more than he loses and will play not to lose instead of playing to win. He will get us to bowl games, but all the stars in the universe will need to align for him to ever make us a threat for a championship caliber team. If that is your jam then you have your coach. Personally I don’t like the death by boredom and frustration that his tactics provoke in me. So I would not be upset one bit if he was replaced. I no longer have emotional engagement with the team because I find his approach to the game and to the fans as indifferent at best. I know many will disagree with me
and I’m ok with that. It is difficult for me to get enthusiastic about a Gundy coached team
That's.....just sad.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Same here. Most were really good- a few jerks.
At 100-10 (now 11) home record, they are used to winning so they took the loss pretty well (considering the play-called-dead non-TD)

but showed lack of football knowledge on some calls where they booed as correct call- like the BP PI call And a few non-called PI on our #0, the non-roughing punter… wanted all call to go their way.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Gundy has remarkable consistent success year in and year out. While this year's team may be Gundy's least successful/talented, it's unreasonable to expect better recruiting. On paper, Gundy's current team is par the course recruiting wise. Sometimes a perpetual top 40 recruiting class will be successful or a bust.

I grew up just outside of Stillwater.. and while Stillwater is special to me, the fact is.. Stillwater is in the middle of nowhere, which is a hard sale to many recruits.

OSU does not have the prestigious requirements to land 5 and 4 star recruits. The only sale is the stadium, locker rooms, weight room, etc. But the newness has worn out and many other Big 12 programs now have (or will in near future) better facilities. The only way to land top level talent, is to outbid other programs.. aka paying recruits for their commitment. Gundy, as far as we know, does not pay recruits for their commitment. The Sports Illustrated fiasco proved Gundy does not cheat.

Having said all of that, it's clear that recruiting has been a failure in recent years. Gundy had a string of bad hires, specifically o-line coaches, which has destroyed the high power and high scoring offenses that we we were lucky to have. If I was in Gundy's shoes, I'd easily take a million dollar+ pay cut to hire a proven o-line coach who can recruit. O-line issues is the reason OSU's success has waned.

It's not going to be fun for at least several years.. if I was the AD, I'd force Gundy to end his lax recruiting policy, which is, IMO, a huge reason talent continues to decline, along with the location of Stillwater. Whilst other Big 12 assistant coaches are recruiting, Gundy and his staff fish, hunt, etc.
What about his policy is lax? You must know with that precise opinion. I’m really interested in what’s specifically wrong or lax?

You get x number of days, y number of hours and z number of contacts with recruits. How many are you willing to expend on recruits you’re very unlikely to sign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Our defense is good. We’re missing Trey Sterling and any defense is going to be worn down when you go three and out every series.
Simply cannot continually give teams 7-9 yard cushions with very limited pressure. I think we have some decent personnel but continue to run the same passive schemes we have since BY
How’d you like that shutout from the early 2nd quarter to the end of the game? Pretty good personnel and a pretty good scheme I’d say.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
How’d you like that shutout from the early 2nd quarter to the end of the game? Pretty good personnel and a pretty good scheme I’d say.
Freaking loved every bit of it. Someone down voted me when I declared that we are officially a running school now. After what I witnessed last night, I have no problems playing big 8 ball. Of course, I want our hybrid style that’s exciting but I also enjoyed watching our back ( for once) pounding the ball.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Maybe I'm crazy but I thought Sanders actually played a pretty good game. He took care of the ball, he made some good passes, and he picked up some key 3rd downs with his legs.

Just pointing to his stats, and saying "See! This guy sucks!" is lazy and unfair. It was very clear that the coaching staff decided they had to pound the ball to win. It worked.

Was it pretty? Good lord, no. But it worked.

How many good passes did Sanders throw that were dropped? I can think of 3. How many boneheaded decisions did he make? Very few, if any. How many key 3rd down passes/runs did he make? Several.

They asked Spencer to take care of the ball, extend drives with his legs, and make opportune throws. He did all of those things.. If you judge his stats by past offensive standards, he was poor. But he wasn't playing in one of our past offenses.

I thought Sanders played good. He did exactly what the coaches asked him to do and it was just barely enough. With the injury situation what it is, that's all we can hope for.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Maybe I'm crazy but I thought Sanders actually played a pretty good game. He took care of the ball, he made some good passes, and he picked up some key 3rd downs with his legs.

Just pointing to his stats, and saying "See! This guy sucks!" is lazy and unfair. It was very clear that the coaching staff decided they had to pound the ball to win. It worked.

How many good passes did Sanders throw that were dropped? I can think of 3. How many boneheaded decisions did he make? Very few, if any. How many key 3rd down passes/runs did he make? Several.

They asked Spencer to take care of the ball, extend drives with his legs, and make opportune throws. He did all of those things.. If you judge his stats by past offensive standards, he was poor. But he wasn't playing in one of our past offenses.

I thought Sanders played good. He did exactly what the coaches asked him to do and it was just barely enough. With the injury situation what it is, that's all we can hope for.

I am one of those who often critic Sanders, but today he played good. Zero turnover by Sanders is always good.

Zero interception!

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

You’re crazy all right but great post too.

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
Gundy gets out of Kasey’s ear and let’s him run an offense. Spencer’s rust wears off. Young receivers show their potential. Defense does it’s thing. Cowboys rush for over 200 years and dominate both lines of scrimmage.

player of the game: jaylen warren

oSu: 31
Boise: 20
ignore the first half.

In al seriousness, I was so proud of us last night. We only had one thing working, and we stuck with it. That’s what playcalling is.

Yes, we (Kasey) need to be more creative and have a better feel for the game. He truly is worse than a good Madden player (Not a joke old guys) but at least he wasn’t too stubborn to see the light. I loved manhandling Boise.

The loaded formations and off tackle runs to the boundary need to stop. We don’t setup anything off of them and go to it way too much. Football is about space and numbers, abd we setup ourselves to fail using 1/3 the width of the field. It should be a deceiving pakycall, not our go to...by far my biggest complaint. I would love to see some numbers on this

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
ignore the first half.

In al seriousness, I was so proud of us last night. We only had one thing working, and we stuck with it. That’s what playcalling is.

Yes, we (Kasey) need to be more creative and have a better feel for the game. He truly is worse than a good Madden player (Not a joke old guys) but at least he wasn’t too stubborn to see the light. I loved manhandling Boise.

The loaded formations and off tackle runs to the boundary need to stop. We don’t setup anything off of them and go to it way too much. Football is about space and numbers, abd we setup ourselves to fail using 1/3 the width of the field. It should be a deceiving pakycall, not our go to...by far my biggest complaint
I wonder did he see the light, or did Gundy take over play calling?

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Freaking loved every bit of it. Someone down voted me when I declared that we are officially a running school now. After what I witnessed last night, I have no problems playing big 8 ball. Of course, I want our hybrid style that’s exciting but I also enjoyed watching our back ( for once) pounding the ball.
Couldn’t agree more. All I want is an identity. And I think we might of forged one last night on the ground. Assuming that Tay Martin gets back soon (I’m assuming it’s not too bad since he tried to go last week) the passing game will improve. But at least now we have an identity as a run team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NinjaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Another upside to the game….we barely had any penalties. Defense had a roughing the kicker and that’s it (I think). Offense had a couple offsides and 1 holding call I believe. Pretty clean game from a penalty stand point

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Another upside to the game….we barely had any penalties. Defense had a roughing the kicker and that’s it (I think). Offense had a couple offsides and 1 holding call I believe. Pretty clean game from a penalty stand point
You mean roughing the passer and it was a bogus call if there ever was one. One of those offsides also almost cost us a TD but yeah it was a pretty clean game penalty wise.