BLM leader sound off on group's "ugly truth"

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
Former BLM leader sounds off on group's 'ugly truth'

'I learned they had little concern for rebuilding Black families,' said Rashad Turner
By Sam Dorman | Fox News

Fox News Flash top headlines for June 1
The founder of Black Lives Matter (BLM) in St. Paul, Minnesota, recently released a video in which he called out the group's "ugly truth," by which he meant their positions on family and education.
"In 2015, I was the founder of Black Lives Matter in St. Paul," said Rashad Turner, who now leads the pro-school choice group Minnesota Parent Union.
"I believed the organization stood for exactly what the name implies – Black lives do matter. However, after a year on the inside, I learned they had little concern for rebuilding Black families," he added.

Turner's video, published to YouTube last week, highlighted how the group's website stated that it wanted to "disrupt the nuclear family structure."
"And they cared even less," Turner added, "about improving the quality of education for students in Minneapolis. That was made clear when they publicly denounced charter schools alongside the teachers' union."
"I was an insider in Black Lives Matter and I learned the ugly truth – the moratorium on charter schools does not support rebuilding the Black family. But it does create barriers to a better education for Black children."
BLM did not respond to Fox News' request for comment.

Turner's comments touched on an ongoing criticism of BLM – namely that its goals and political positions are much more left-wing than the name might suggest.
The group has acquired heightened popularity in the wake of prominent police encounters that sparked ongoing protests in recent years. Politicians and other leading figures have adopted the slogan as well.
Recent events, however, have intensified scrutiny of its leader and her ideas. Co-founder Patrisse Cullors came under fire after it was revealed she bought four homes for more than $3 million. The self-described "Marxist" was also seen in a resurfaced video favorably comparing a book to "red book" propagated under Mao Zedong.

The BLM curriculum also engendered controversy over ideas the organization was promoting in schools.
Cullors is stepping down from her role as executive director of the activist group’s central foundation amid questions about her finances.
She told the Associated Press on Thursday that she was leaving the position to focus on other projects, including the release of her second book and a television deal with Warner Bros. She held the top post at Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation for more than five years.
The activist said she had created "the necessary bones and foundation" at the organization and felt the "time is right" to leave. She asserted that her exit was planned for more than a year and was unrelated to scrutiny regarding her personal finances. "Those were right-wing attacks that tried to discredit my character, and I don’t operate off of what the right thinks of me," Cullors said.

Emphasis added

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Because the BLM organization is just a scheme to embezzle money that is donated to a worthy cause. The cause has zero importance to BLM and BLM is hoping people don't notice and or if they do they cry racism that they are being questioned for their motives and their actions.

Nov 23, 2010
"namely that its goals and political positions are much more left-wing than the name might suggest."

I was thinking it's as much that they are as uniformly left wing as they are. I get that it would be primarily a left wing organization, but I'm not sure of any heterodox positions they hold. Charter schools is an example from the article, but you would think there would be something. Instead it's more of a left wing interest group more than a black interest group.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
You mean an organization with no commitment to transparency, specific plans to benefit the group they claim to represent, or accountability, ended up squandering the money they collected?

:ohmy:

The companies that gave millions to them don't even care, they got to boast about their commitment to diversity. That's all they wanted.

Outside of having a name that played well with those so eager to be on the right side of history they checked their critical thinking at the door, why did anyone think this was going to end well?
Did BLM ever even make any specific commitments to actually help Black people?

Last edited:

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
You mean an organization with no commitment to transparency, specific plans to benefit the group they claim to represent, or accountability, ended up squandering the money they collected?

The companies that gave millions to them don't even care, they got to boast about their commitment to diversity. That's all they wanted.

Outside of having a name that played well with those so eager to be on the right side of history they checked their critical thinking at the door, why did anyone think this was going to end well?
They never even had a clear and concise mission statement. That money would have been better spent or donated to the NAACP.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

They never even had a clear and concise mission statement. That money would have been better spent or donated to the NAACP.
All they had were their Marxist talking points about fighting against the nuclear family and such.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
All they had were their Marxist talking points about fighting against the nuclear family and such.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
Right because more single parent homes is the path to equity.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
"I believed the organization stood for exactly what the name implies – Black lives do matter. However, after a year on the inside, I learned they had little concern for rebuilding Black families," he added.
Did he not read their original documents and position points?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors calls finance transparency racist and sexist.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/06/blms-patrisse-cullors-slams-racist-report-on-6m-socal-mansion/
I largely agree with critiques of these leaders. At the same time, BLM has become a movement so far beyond this kind of organization that discrediting the larger movement because of these leaders would be similar to hating christianity because televangelists are hypocritical a-holes.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I largely agree with critiques of these leaders. At the same time, BLM has become a movement so far beyond this kind of organization that discrediting the larger movement because of these leaders would be similar to hating christianity because televangelists are hypocritical a-holes.
You're not wrong, but you also have to factor in human nature and how a stain on the leadership will have a staining effect on the cause they purport to want to advance.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
You're not wrong, but you also have to factor in human nature and how a stain on the leadership will have a staining effect on the cause they purport to want to advance.
I would say the exact same thing about televangelists. They give Christians a bad name, especially if people largely encounter Christianity through media depictions and news about Christian leaders.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Of course not, they’re opportunistic grifters hiding under the name of a cause, like so many others on both sides of the aisle.

Anyone with half a brain knew that the summer of 2020 & George Floyd was was being used as a weapon.
Not a whole lots talk about Rashard Brooks in Atlanta after he was shot, after attacking an officer and trying to take his weapon. Then the riots there & burning down the Wendy’s. Then the shooting of an 8 year old girl, by the rioters, because her mother drove into that area.

Heard much about the guy in Kenosha that mowed down a parade crowd? Do you even know his name?

What’s the latest on the activist that opened fire in a NYC subway Last Week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Yeah. Elizabeth warren isn’t using it as a weapon against Elon musk.

Jeeze. What a freaking racist

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Of course not, they’re opportunistic grifters hiding under the name of a cause, like so many others on both sides of the aisle.

Anyone with half a brain knew that the summer of 2020 & George Floyd was was being used as a weapon.
Not a whole lots talk about Rashard Brooks in Atlanta after he was shot, after attacking an officer and trying to take his weapon. Then the riots there & burning down the Wendy’s. Then the shooting of an 8 year old girl, by the rioters, because her mother drove into that area.

Heard much about the guy in Kenosha that mowed down a parade crowd? Do you even know his name?

What’s the latest on the activist that opened fire in a NYC subway Last Week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure why one has the nullify the other. The left underestimates how hard policing is and too often makes it antagonistic. The right too often ignores both the history of police brutality and the ongoing disproportionate use of force against Black people, especially Black men. It's not like the distrust and bad relations between cops and Black communities started with the BLM movement or leaders.