Bizzaro World OSU season stats

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Here are the top 10 Scroring Offenses

All 4 playoff teams had top 5 offenses, something OSU is fully capable of.

6 out of the 10 won their conference, and the 3 of the ones that didn't were all in the same conference and/or division, so only one team could finish first.

Alabama, being the other, played their last game of the year as a qualifier for the playoffs being ranked number 5.

Oklahoma had the 50th ranked defense, something of which we are also fully capable of.

Realistically OSU needs to do what OU did this year. That is, be a top 5 offense and a top 50 defense.

We can recruit to that year in and year out.

That will put us in position to win the league and make the playoffs. View attachment 75647
None of the CFP teams have a defense below 50.

Having a top 5 defense is a much more reliable way to win.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010

They darn sure don't have an offense below 50 either.

In fact, they don't have an offense below 5.

All 4 playoff teams have an offense in the top 5.

Only 1/2 of them have a defense in the top 25.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

They darn sure don't have an offense below 50 either.

In fact, they don't have an offense below 5.

All 4 playoff teams have an offense in the top 5.

Only 1/2 of them have a defense in the top 25.
All 4 of them also have top 10 budgets, which we are never going to have. I would rather win reliably.

Nov 14, 2010
All 4 of them also have top 10 budgets, which we are never going to have. I would rather win reliably.

The most realistic way to do that for OSU is to have a top 5 offense and a top 50 defense.

We've shown that we can have a top 5 offense

It doesn't take a top 10 budget to have a top 5 offense. We've shown that in the past.

It also doesn't take a top 10 budget to have a top 50 defense.

There are around 40 schools this year that have a top 50 defense that don't have a top 10 budget.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas

I don’t disagree with you. I just don’t think we will ever sniff a top 5, probably even top 25 scoring defense, especially in our league. I will gladly eat crow if that happens!

As Gundy reiterated every post game presser this season - we need to score 6 instead of 3 in the redzone.

Nov 14, 2010
I don’t disagree with you. I just don’t think we will ever sniff a top 5, probably even top 25 scoring defense, especially in our league. I will gladly eat crow if that happens!

As Gundy reiterated every post game presser this season - we need to score 6 instead of 3 in the redzone.
We don't have to

LSU is 27 and OU is 50

We are fully capable of doing that.

But, to make that pay off in a Conference Championship and/or a playoff birth, we need to continue to have top 5 offense like we've had in the past.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Why do you think we can consistently have a top 5 offense, but never a top 5 defense?

Offense is quarterback-centric. Your QB goes down and your offense is in the tank. Miss on recruiting for a year and your offense is in the tank.

Defense doesn't center on a single player.

Nov 6, 2010
Why do you think we can consistently have a top 5 offense, but never a top 5 defense?

Offense is quarterback-centric. Your QB goes down and your offense is in the tank. Miss on recruiting for a year and your offense is in the tank.

We've also shown we can recruit nationally and highly rated players at the QB position and other offensive skill positions. We've yet to show that ability on defense.

Nov 14, 2010

The conference we play in is offensive heavy, but no one said never. It's about the best formula "year in an year out" for OSU to put themselves in position to win the conference and make the playoffs.

The highest ranked defense in the Big 12 this year was Baylor at 16 and they were the only defense in the Big 12 in the top 25.

Robinson went down and Weeden came in
Walsh went down, Chelf and Rudolph came in

Baylor scored twice with their 3rd string quarterback Saturday

Tua went down last year and Jalen Hurts came in and won the Conference title game for them.

Etc...

But.... the fact that one or a couple players can make that much difference in an offense is exactly why a school like OSU can produce at top 5 levels, and why it is a realistic goal.

You don't have to have waves of guys, just the right couple play makers at the right spot.

And they happen to be spots that we have proven to be able to recruit at close to elite level, then develop even better from there.

The Blue Bloods are always going to have more depth.

We can consistently recruit elite quarterback talent like Sanders and Illingsworth, 4 star receivers and running backs, and they can produce a top 5 offense.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
And yet the SEC has been a defense heavy conference that has somehow managed to produce some top 5 offenses... even dating back to Spurrier at Florida.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Just imagine if when Robinson went down we hadn't had a walk-on former pro baseball player and had been stuck with the highly touted, "elite" 4-star recruit out of Colorado.

Nov 14, 2010
Just imagine if when Robinson went down we hadn't had a walk-on former pro baseball player and had been stuck with the highly touted, "elite" 4-star recruit out of Colorado.

Weeden was an elite talent that wasn't recruited in football because he had already committed to play baseball at OSU, then it became clear, with a 97 mph fastball, that he was going to get drafted highly as well.

He was a first round draft pick in 2 separate sports, both of which were because of his arm talent.

He was a walk on because his tuition was being paid by the Yankees

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Weeden was an elite talent that wasn't recruited in football because he had already committed to play baseball at OSU, then it became clear, with a 97 mph fastball, that he was going to get drafted highly as well.

He was a first round draft pick in 2 separate sports, both of which were because of his arm talent.

He was a walk on because his tuition was being paid by the Yankees
Yeah, and how often can we count on that?

You completely ignored the other part about the 4-star, highly-touted recruit out of Colorado.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I answered your question

The numbers had already proved the point
You think 66 against a 3-9 FCS team proves your point??? Tenn-Chatt put up 60 against them! Mighty Wofford scored 59! So, Ala-freaking-bama with a backup QB was a touchdown better than Wofford!!! OH MY FREAKING GOSH!!!!

LOL!

You don't know what the freak you're talking about.