Bizzaro World OSU season stats

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Being completely honest, I’d rather have a team that I know can go score 40+ in every game, and that we are never out of it.
Me too. I’m also concerned that slowing things down and moving away from the spread is going to require a level of offensive line play that we have never had, in fact I was always under the impression that the spread was created to counter the inability of teams like ours to get the big “corn fed” linemen that go to schools like Alabama, ou and Ohio state—that the spread uses speed and space to counter size and strength. It gives schools like ours that can’t compete for 5 star linemen a fighting chance if we can get good skill position players, especially receivers and a quarterbacks.

Maybe slowing things down helps your defense. My question would be though, which is longer, a 6 play, 80 yard touchdown drive or a 3 and out series?

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Being completely honest, I’d rather have a team that I know can go score 40+ in every game, and that we are never out of it.
That doesn’t make sense. If you are ahead 49-42 with 3 minutes to go the other team has already shown they can score at will. You won’t feel comfortable holding that lead. We’ve lived that scenario

If you are up 10-3 with 3 minutes to go you feel pretty good because the other team hasn’t shown the ability to put it in the end zone

I realize that if you’re playing from behind a high scoring offense is proffered. The key is don’t play from behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 14, 2010
If you are up 10-3 with 3 minutes to go you feel pretty good because the other team hasn’t shown the ability to put it in the end zone
How often does that happen in the Big 12 in comparison to needing an offense that can keep up or preferably set the pace?

The best way to "not play from behind" in the Big 12, is to have an offense that can set the pace.

These read option rpo offenses are too dynamic for defense to completely set the pace

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
How often does that happen in the Big 12 in comparison to needing an offense that can keep up or preferably set the pace?

The best way to "not play from behind" in the Big 12, is to have an offense that can set the pace.

These read option rpo offenses are too dynamic for defense to completely set the pace
I’m talking hypothetically. Devils advocate.

Oct 30, 2007
Probably. The offense and defense are not completely independent. But does anyone have stats for avg number of possessions by both our offense and defense? A slower offense will generally give the defense more rest, but that may evaporate if the offense is unable to sustain drives.
Last year our defense gave up 2.55 points per possession. This year they've only given up 1.86. That's the lowest average we've had since 2013 when we were really good on defense. They've also forced 4 more turnovers than last year, and they still have the bowl game to add to that total.

This defense was significantly improved in Coach Knowles second season. They could be even better next year since they only lose 1 starter. Next year is setting up to be a really special year if Hubbard & Wallace don't leave early for the NFL.

Nov 8, 2013
When the last time we had dominate offense and defense in the same year?

It is interesting that our best offense and best defense seem to be close together but never actually together. Examples - 1984 D/1988 O. 2011 O/2013 D. 2017 O/2019 D. OK, the 2017/2019 example doesn't quite fit with the others, but it is close enough to include in the list for fun.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I am being realistic. The top 10 scoring defenses (note how many are playing for conference championships this weekend, and have a shot at the CFP).
View attachment 75628
I’m talking about our defense. Where is our defense on that ranking?
What, because our defense sucks it's unrealistic for our defense to not suck? What argument are you trying to make?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2009
That doesn’t make sense. If you are ahead 49-42 with 3 minutes to go the other team has already shown they can score at will. You won’t feel comfortable holding that lead. We’ve lived that scenario

I realize that if you’re playing from behind a high scoring offense is proffered. The key is don’t play from behind
I’m just being honest and it’s only an opinion. That said, It makes perfect sense, I want a team that can score.

The flip side to your scenarios is just as valid.

Now we have the ball down 49-42, yes I want a team that I have no doubt can, and will, go score to win. I have much more confidence there than being down 10-3 with an offense that struggles.

There is a balance somewhere. Ohio State does it, Clemson does it, ou has changed their defense this year but the identity is still offense. So has Baylor. We have proven we can play offense with the best of them and this year started to find a defense. Why not just do both?

Nov 14, 2010
Here are the top 10 Scroring Offenses

All 4 playoff teams had top 5 offenses, something OSU is fully capable of.

6 out of the 10 won their conference, and the 3 of the ones that didn't were all in the same conference and/or division, so only one team could finish first.

Alabama, being the other, played their last game of the year as a qualifier for the playoffs being ranked number 5.

Oklahoma had the 50th ranked defense, something of which we are also fully capable of.
On the flip side, Oregon State had the 50th ranked offense.

Realistically OSU needs to do what OU did this year. That is, be a top 5 offense and a top 50 defense.

We can recruit to that year in and year out and that will put us in position to win the league and make the playoffs.

LSU has the the 27th ranked defense and they are the top seed. They are playing a team in OU whose defense is ranked 50th.

I don't think it's realistic to think OSU can recruit well enough to have both a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense both year in an year out.

Clemson and Ohio State were the only 2 teams to be able to do that this year.

In fact, they were the only 2 teams to field a top 5 offense and a top 25 defense.

offense.PNG

Last edited: