Bitter COLD in Oklahoma!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
News 9 is saying electric companies are asking their customers to set the thermostats down to 55-65.
Do that many people have electric furnaces?? I thought gas furnaces were more common.

And fat chance of people turning down their thermostat when also being told that doing so can increase the change of their pipes freezing...

Sep 3, 2010
Do that many people have electric furnaces?? I thought gas furnaces were more common.

And fat chance of people turning down their thermostat when also being told that doing so can increase the change of their pipes freezing...
Agreed. My house was going down 4 degrees per hour when our electricity was out on Tuesday. Our heat is propane but no electricity = no fan.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I've got no hot water this morning. Turn on the hot water and barely a trickle comes out. Hot water heater is on and working....obviously something frozen somewhere between that and the faucet. Cold water comes out just fine. Hopefully there's no long term damage to the pipes but even so, I doubt they'll unfreeze for a couple of days. May have to check into a hotel just to take a freaking shower so I can go to work. I'll never complain about triple digit temps again.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver

I know brown outs caused at least 3 big gas plants to go down in Texas for the company I work for. So gas may be in shorter supply too. On the front range they were asking people to go easy on gas usage too since wind turbines were iced up and plant demand spiked.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
OG&E has started rolling blackouts after the SPP issued level 3 (highest Emergency) and instructed all member institutions to start mandatory rolling blackouts

First time in the SPP 80yr history it has ever done this

agec

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 7, 2004
Mulhall
Good news for those using CREC. Copied from their Facebook page: Central Rural Electric Cooperative members are not impacted by the alert from the Southwest Power Pool regarding potential temporary, rolling power outages.

Central is part of a three-tiered transmission and generation system that is not reliant on the Southwest Power Pool, and receives its power from KAMO Power and Associated Electric Cooperative, Inc.

While Central’s electrical distribution system reached a new peak early Monday morning, it does not foresee issues regarding power supply at this time.

The system will continue to be tested throughout the week as temperatures are predicted to remain below freezing.

Central encourages members to make an action plan to keep your family safe, and stay weather aware over the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2008
And this ladies and gentlemen is why we need coal, natural gas and nuclear..

"The vast majority of wind resource that normally would have supplied energy to the grid is unavailable. That happened about a week ago when turbines across the region were idled by ice-buildup issues on their blades.

Solar resources also largely have been unavailable, given persistent cloudiness that has covered the area over about the same period of time."

agec

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 7, 2004
Mulhall
Stillwater not so lucky:
Stillwater Power has announced that rolling blackouts will begin in this hour, 1 PM CST, due to a Level 3 Alert from the Southwest Power Administration which controls the Southwest Power Pool. This is due to the cold weather.

These blackouts will last about 45 minutes to one hour and will be random and effecting Stillwater Power customers across the system.

Map of effected meters:
http://stillwater.org/files/news-re...4HyKnoaW6pqpS8VsTdCxsOsDb1H7v2_MFvTJ9RDaJtWoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
And this ladies and gentlemen is why we need coal, natural gas and nuclear..

"The vast majority of wind resource that normally would have supplied energy to the grid is unavailable. That happened about a week ago when turbines across the region were idled by ice-buildup issues on their blades.

Solar resources also largely have been unavailable, given persistent cloudiness that has covered the area over about the same period of time."
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::derp::derp::derp:
Yes, it was the type of power generation that failed .... I wonder if the worst winter event in 100+ years had anything to do with it.

All types of power generation plants are struggling

Sep 22, 2011
Yes, it was the type of power generation that failed .... I wonder if the worst winter event in 100+ years had anything to do with it.

My turbines are still running, a little slower due to ice build up, but still rolling

Sep 12, 2008

That why you must of a good mix of power sources.. you can't put all your eggs in one basket.