Bitter COLD in Oklahoma!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I got married in December of 1983 and was working for the animal science dept. taking care of their cow herd on Lake Carl Blackwell. I think we had like 30 days in a row below freezing and we chopped ice on the lake about a foot thick every day. I don’t think it got quite this cold but I’ll never forget how miserable it was. Good thing I was honeymooning:)
My dad was actually just talking about that winter with me earlier today. Said it was similar to this but the winds were way worse which made the wind chills insane. He'd just moved to OK from Dallas and was questioning that decision. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sep 3, 2010
My dad was actually just talking about that winter with me earlier today. Said it was similar to this but the winds were way worse which made the wind chills insane. He'd just moved to OK from Dallas and was questioning that decision. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yeah, we would start every morning with a thermos of coffee and a bottle of peppermint schnaaps. By the time I got home to my new bride every night I was ready for the ol’ razzle dazzle .

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
Anybody here have an aerobic septic system? My air pump is frozen and the sprinkler heads are also frozen. I’m a little concerned about the duration of this event. We’ve cut back on water usage to help. No washing clothes short showers and paper plates. How concerned should I be about damage when it thaws out?

Aug 11, 2004
Newkirk, Ok
I got married in December of 1983 and was working for the animal science dept. taking care of their cow herd on Lake Carl Blackwell. I think we had like 30 days in a row below freezing and we chopped ice on the lake about a foot thick every day. I don’t think it got quite this cold but I’ll never forget how miserable it was. Good thing I was honeymooning:)
I remember that cold spell. I think it blew in the day I went home after finals for Christmas break, I was in my junior year at OSU. My dad had broken his collar bone and needed help with cattle chores. Worked my butt off on break that year.

Apr 14, 2009
It’s not been this cold and this windy for this long in my lifetime. This is weather like northern Canada. This is crazy. When it finely starts to warm up we are going to see lots of bad stuff. Natural gas prices are going over the moon. Drilling Rigs in Oklahoma are not designed for this kind of cold. I am thankful I didn’t have to do that anymore. I feel for those men trying to keep that equipment going during this blizzard!

Sep 3, 2010

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Channel 9 kept going on and on about how we won't see the sun until around Friday. Clear blue skies this morning.
Sometimes I watch the "full coverage" folks and just chuckle at the random stuff they say, most likely just to fill time. Was watching OKC Ch.9 yesterday and heard ol' David Payne make about 4 completely incorrect statements. On one hand, it's impressive that he's able to talk for that long. On the other hand, it's annoying that they can make false statements and there's no accountability.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Channel 9 kept going on and on about how we won't see the sun until around Friday. Clear blue skies this morning.
To be fair, I did hear him say we might see a little sun today and in NW OKC at least light clouds are starting to move back over. It WAS bright blue skies a little bit ago though.

Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, I’m not sure how the wind and solar are going to handle this type of weather without NG and coal. Actually I am sure.....they won’t. -10 here right now and I’m sure thankful I had a generac installed this week.
Apparently nearly half of Texas’ installed wind power generation capacity has been offline because of frozen wind turbines in West Texas, according to Texas grid operators.

Sep 3, 2010
Apparently nearly half of Texas’ installed wind power generation capacity has been offline because of frozen wind turbines in West Texas, according to Texas grid operators.
I hadn’t seen that but I’m certainly not surprised. I don’t know why I continue to be amazed at how detached our politicians are from real life.