Bitter COLD in Oklahoma!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 14, 2009
Maybe it will beat the fire ants back south for a year or two.
I am Just looking for something positive about this abysmal weather.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Screenshot_20210212-193659_WeatherBug.jpg

Got you beat.

That being said for what you're used to I think you have it worse. The snow today was just a dusting. I didn't set my cruise on the drive home just to be safe, but went as fast as I normally do. It's going to be bitter cold but the only time spent outdoors the next few days will be walking to my vehicle and wherever I'm going so no biggie.

You guys are looking at 12"+ snowfall and you don't have the equipment to handle it. I don't care where you live, that is a big snowfall event. I've spent almost 20 years in the Dakotas and Minnesota and I don't know that I have seen a dozen snowfalls that could beat that. And you don't have any plows, snowblowers, or dudes who have the capability to blow out your driveway for $20.

My advice for dealing with winter weather is don't if you don't have to. In my 22 years in Oklahoma I can think of 2 storms that approached this. We got dumped on when I was 8 and there was a bad storm when I was in college that happened during finals week when I was a Junior-Oklahoma State was literally the only school in the state that didn't close down. So this is a once in a decade event for you guys and a once every other year type event for those of us who know how to deal with it. Stay at home, go out with the kids and build an awesome snowman, and drink some cocoa afterwards.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Also, if you have to be out in this, I suggest the following:

in your vehicle, make sure to carry water, food (I go with candy bars because they are small and packed with calories), a warm blanket or coat, and a flashlight. Also, it may be too late for this but make sure your vehicle has at least a half tank of gas. If you get stranded and have to wait before you are rescued these things will really help. The gas is important if your vehicle is in the ditch. The light and clothing/blanket are important if you have to walk or shelter in place. Also it's probably a good idea to make sure your phone has a full charge.

I have a story about the phone charge thing. When I was in grad school I was driving back to South Dakota after Thanksgiving break. About 20 miles before I was done with the drive, I hit black ice, vehicle did a 360 and ended up on its side in the median. I was an idiot 25 year old driving way too fast in an ice storm but aside from being really shaken didn't have a scratch on me. The people in a vehicle behind me pulled me out and told me they saw the whole thing. I called my mom to let her and my dad know what happened. I said that I was in an accident but was ok and my phone battery died. I didn't get a chance to tell them what happened until a trooper took me to a highway patrol station a few miles away for a friend to pick me up. Mom said that was the first cigarette she had in 5 years when she couldn't get ahold of me after my phone died.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Hopefully, the weather situation is overhyped. For instance, KFOR weatherman and chief hyper Mike Morgan insists the low for OKC is going to dip clear down to -17 below for a record tying lowest low ever for OKC. LOL, I doubt it. The NWS doesn't indicate it will get that low.

Apr 14, 2009
Bad days to be a Cow! I Counted 3 new baby’s yesterday. It’s been awhile since I had to break ice! Looks like I will need to do it for this next 10 days.
I may quit the hobby ranching after this!

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
After 5 straight days of lake effect snow in Oklahoma, I don't know what to expect anymore. Just got out to get breakfast, the temp on my car says 9....that will probably be the warmest morning we have until Tuesday or Wednesday.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I watched a facebook live with David Payne a couple of hours ago and showed that one of the models is showing 31.5" of snow in central OK after the 2nd storm comes through. The other models are showing around 20". He said that the Tuesday/Wed storm will actually be the blizzard due to the winds. Tomorrow will be close, but winds won't technically be high enough.

Sep 3, 2010
I got married in December of 1983 and was working for the animal science dept. taking care of their cow herd on Lake Carl Blackwell. I think we had like 30 days in a row below freezing and we chopped ice on the lake about a foot thick every day. I don’t think it got quite this cold but I’ll never forget how miserable it was. Good thing I was honeymooning:)

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I got married in December of 1983 and was working for the animal science dept. taking care of their cow herd on Lake Carl Blackwell. I think we had like 30 days in a row below freezing and we chopped ice on the lake about a foot thick every day. I don’t think it got quite this cold but I’ll never forget how miserable it was. Good thing I was honeymooning:)
The middle part of that 1983 deal was awful.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I do both, but if the wheat isn't real good you run into feed issues. I had two born during the October ice storm as well.
I have both also. I do like the nicer weather of fall calving but the tradeoff is the toll it takes on those cows trying to nurse a calf and maintain there own body condition during the winter. I find myself weaning early every spring just because I’m tired of looking at skinny cows.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I'm glad I moved my calving saeson to mid March.
My former FIL calved in January. They live in northern Minnesota and I asked why in the world did he want to calve then. He said he used to do it in March but preferred the cold over the mud.

Up there I get it. You get a bunch of snow melt and everything just turns to mush. When I was in grad school one year we had a late really big snow and the next day it was 50°. We were processing cattle that day and had to clean up 8" of melted snow plus all of the steer crap. It was like shoveling chocolate milk. I can't imagine pulling a calf in that soup.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I have both also. I do like the nicer weather of fall calving but the tradeoff is the toll it takes on those cows trying to nurse a calf and maintain there own body condition during the winter. I find myself weaning early every spring just because I’m tired of looking at skinny cows.
I'm with you, and you can't keep a fall calver as long as a spring calver either, the stress cuts their career down. There is more money in fall calves though.

Sep 3, 2010
It is definitely harder to keep those fall calvers fleshy and the additional feed costs are considerable. That spring grass calf market is hard to ignore in addition to having better calving weather. It’s being considered more and more in my part of the state the last several years. Right about now it looks pretty attractive .