Bill Gates' TerraPower to build first nuclear reactor!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
We should have been building nuclear power plants for decades now. It is our best and cleanest option.
It's our only option at this point. There's enough uranium on earth to power humanity for two centuries. If we really want to curtail CO2 emissions while not experiencing a decrease in our quality of life, this is the way.

Dec 11, 2011
Nuclear as a source of power is amazing & fascinating. I wish our government would get out of the way more & allow it to advance.
They should be involved only to the extent to ensure safety standards are enforced.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Nuclear as a source of power is amazing & fascinating. I wish our government would get out of the way more & allow it to advance.
They should be involved only to the extent to ensure safety standards are enforced.
France gets approx 75% of their electricity from nuclear power, its amazing to me that we don’t

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
The anti nuclear power movement is very strong. I hoping that with big names like Bill Gates and Warren Buffer that it will change.
There is the anti-nuke movement but this design doesn’t have federal approvals and that will take years (decade) and they use a non standard uranium fuel that needs to be produced. The NuScale Small Modular Reactor appears to be much further along in the process having received Fed design approval and a cost that appears to be 50% of the Gates plant.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
France gets approx 75% of their electricity from nuclear power, its amazing to me that we don’t
Ironically, it was the environmentalists who effectively put the brakes on that in the 70's. Nuclear obviously has it's safety issues but I remember the "1 World 1 Chance" slogan. And this type stuff:

1637244831679.png

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2008
There is the anti-nuke movement but this design doesn’t have federal approvals and that will take years (decade) and they use a non standard uranium fuel that needs to be produced. The NuScale Small Modular Reactor appears to be much further along in the process having received Fed design approval and a cost that appears to be 50% of the Gates plant.
I wouldn't bet against Gates/Buffett. I'm sure they have some assurances that they will be able to proceed.

SLVRBK

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I wouldn't bet against Gates/Buffett. I'm sure they have some assurances that they will be able to proceed.
I’ve been involved with projects that were politically favorable and had the same % of government financial backing, it’s been approx 20 years and they still haven’t broken ground

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere