Big12 Baseball and O’Brate opening

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
Man I hope you're right!

Are you hearing anything from inside sources close to the program?
no just going off social media cues from players and family
so who do you think is not coming back because the D1 story says that most of those seniors are coming back.
I didn't say any of them will not be back. I expect them all to return including Polcovich! Parker may be the only one that might leave.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
no just going off social media cues from players and family

I didn't say any of them will not be back. I expect them all to return including Polcovich! Parker may be the only one that might leave.
I think Parker & Polc are draft targets if it’s 10 rounds, but probably not if it’s just 5. So they would benefit by returning if they don’t get drafted this year, without losing their leverage. Parker was likely to leave last summer, because he got offered a large signing bonus, I just don’t expect the minor leagues to be offering that this summer.

I could have seen Leep being a draft option in a slightly bigger draft as well. Throwing 97 FB with that slider he threw in Frisco. If your organization think he’s made that turn and that’s his normal now then you target him. He would have had a lot of eyeballs on him all season to see if that was sustainable. He certainly looked good in outings after that.

So obviously those guys won’t announce they’re returning until after there’s A. Been a draft and B. It’s clearer what the MLB is doing with free agent college players.

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
For you baseball heads out there.. I am sure some of you coach, even if it is just your own kids and some of you may umpire. Regardless of what you do and at what level you should check out the Baseball Rules in Black and White app. It is derived from a series of books written by a friend from Willows, CA named James Bettencourt. He has umpired for decades at the absolute highest levels of baseball. He saw the need for explanation and simplification of the extremely complicated rules of baseball.

https://www.baseballrulesinblackandwhite.com/bribaw-app

He laid out and explained rules at the Little League, high school and collegiate levels. The app has video examples of rules and instances. It is really a neat project and extremely useful. I highly suggest looking into it, even if you are just a casual fan looking for a better understanding of baseball.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
To get back on topic:

Josh was on PerfectGame's College Baseball show on ESPNU Radio SiriusXm today.

He said the players are all adjusting to distance learning and he's hearing good things about their classroom performance. He also said 7 players stayed on campus instead of going home to avoid travel issues and exposure.

He was asked about the bigger challenge the draft or the Seniors, and Josh said the biggest issue is that the draft will be smaller and that the norm has been to recruit as though you are about to lose your entire Junior class if draftable, would end up signing. He said the Seniors were easy to keep tabs on and expects them to return if not drafted.

So our bigger issue may be that we are overcommitted on scholarships from Juniors not getting drafted than the Seniors (assuming the Big12 doesn't ban giving them scholarships). *I only mention that, because after D1 gave them the waiver on limits, Kendall Rogers has said there are rumblings that 2 conferences may not allow their teams to exceed 11.7 including seniors.

He also had some good insights on KP and Osmond as prospects.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
To get back on topic:

He said the players are all adjusting to distance learning and he's hearing good things about their classroom performance. He also said 7 players stayed on campus instead of going home to avoid travel issues and exposure.

He was asked about the bigger challenge the draft or the Seniors, and Josh said the biggest issue is that the draft will be smaller and that the norm has been to recruit as though you are about to lose your entire Junior class if draftable, would end up signing. He said the Seniors were easy to keep tabs on and expects them to return if not drafted.

So our bigger issue may be that we are overcommitted on scholarships from Juniors not getting drafted than the Seniors (assuming the Big12 doesn't ban giving them scholarships). *I only mention that, because after D1 gave them the waiver on limits, Kendall Rogers has said there are rumblings that 2 conferences may not allow their teams to exceed 11.7 including seniors.

Quick question regarding something I totally didn't think about. Will this year's freshmen return to being draft eligible in this draft, such as Osmond, Trenkle, etc.?

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
Quick question regarding something I totally didn't think about. Will this year's freshmen return to being draft eligible in this draft, such as Osmond, Trenkle, etc.?
Considering the MLB is looking to downsize the draft, I don’t think there’s any concern of them treating enrolled students as essentially still in high school and it likely runs afoul of the MLB draft rule that says once you enroll at a D1, you must obtain the age of 21 or be 3 years out of high school to be draft eligible. I have not heard of anyone discussing what you considered.

The MLB draft policies aren’t restricted by college rules, for instance we have had sophomores get drafted at age 21, even though only 2 years out of high school, so reclassifying as a freshmen shouldn’t matter, the same as a freshmen redshirting wouldn’t allow them to enter the draft (unless it’s a JUCO).

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
I don’t believe returning seniors count against 11.7 for next season. I may be incorrect but that’s the way I understood it after listening to Pod cast from Baseball America. Not counting the returning seniors it still will be 11.7 for 27 scholarship players.

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
I don’t believe returning seniors count against 11.7 for next season. I may be incorrect but that’s the way I understood it after listening to Pod cast from Baseball America. Not counting the returning seniors it still will be 11.7 for 27 scholarship players.
That is correct, but let’s say we have 2 scholarships split up by 4 Juniors we anticipated getting drafted, like KP. But with the draft maybe only being 5 rounds, now KP may not get drafted and leave. But his scholarship was promised to an incoming recruit. That’s where the scholarship crunch develops even if Seniors don’t count.

Also the NCAA interpretation is that returning Seniors don’t count against the 11.7, but that doesn’t stop a conference like the ACC deciding for its teams that those players still count. And some conferences were leaning that way so it’s fair to all their conference teams if some of their members couldn’t afford to pay for extra scholarships. If 6 schools in the Big12 don’t have the money to pay for extra scholarships (Bec there was no March Madness money), the Big12 could vote to make Seniors count against the 11.7, even the NCAA says they don’t have to.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
To get back on topic:

Thanks for the the info. I would be interested to hear the thoughts on KP and Osmond.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
Owners are greedy bastards and player's union can't see past their noses. Player's union thinks if they can help the owners save money that the current players will see the benefit, screw the soon to be new members. Never happens just like the collective bargaining agreement, all that did was save owners money.

5 round draft per owners and the amateurs get screwed. Not having rounds 6-10 will save each club about 2 million which is pennies for the organizations.

Last edited:

OSU9953

Wrangler
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
And they wonder why the sport struggles to grow. By eliminating 35 rounds, approximately 1050 players lose the opportunity to pursue their professional careers. Sad thing is their considering shortening the draft for the next couple years. Each ball club is saving 1-2 million for eliminating 35 rounds.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
And they wonder why the sport struggles to grow. By eliminating 35 rounds, approximately 1050 players lose the opportunity to pursue their professional careers. Sad thing is their considering shortening the draft for the next couple years. Each ball club is saving 1-2 million for eliminating 35 rounds.
My question to the counter would be, why does mlb need a 40 round draft? NFL has 7, nba only 2. I’m not sure I understand why the draft was so long to begin with? Legitimate question, I don’t know the ins and outs of the pro baseball system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
My question to the counter would be, why does mlb need a 40 round draft? NFL has 7, nba only 2. I’m not sure I understand why the draft was so long to begin with? Legitimate question, I don’t know the ins and outs of the pro baseball system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From all the minor teams to the MLB there's about 8000 players in a given year. Clubs are going to lose around 50 to 70 players a year to injury, retirement or lack of productivity. With a 40 round draft, they're drafting about 1250 a year plus international signees. They need solid players to help develope their true prospects and move them up the ladder. Plus, they often find that diamond in the rough. Since they are trying to cut back their minor league teams, I could see them going to a 20 to 25 round draft in the future. Football and basketball just don't have the number of minor league teams.

Last edited:

Matt_bob123

SBC presents Mattbob
Oct 16, 2003
With an elite recruiting class coming and some Srs staying, there was expected to be transfers:

D1baseball lists: Ryan Van Leeuwen, Josh Spiegel, and Cam Thompson as entering the transfer portal. I assume there will be more to come.