Big XII losing Fresno State in wrestling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2014
They are cutting the wrestling program........again. I have a feeling this won't be the only Big 12 wrestling program to get cut either. Arkansas Little Rock seems like it would be a good fit to take their place if we can't get any big time teams. They are coached by two former OSU wrestlers: Neil Erisman and Chandler Rogers

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
big 12 wrestling died a long time ago, unfortunately. and frankly, if osu doesn't win the NC in the next 2-3 years, osu's long term standing as a wrestling powerhouse is in massive jeopardy. it likely is anyway. been 14 years since osu won a nc. for a program that has/had top 3 billing forever its fallen on hard times.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
big 12 wrestling died a long time ago, unfortunately. and frankly, if osu doesn't win the NC in the next 2-3 years, osu's long term standing as a wrestling powerhouse is in massive jeopardy. it likely is anyway. been 14 years since osu won a nc. for a program that has/had top 3 billing forever its fallen on hard times.
Two #1 recruiting classes in a row and the possibility of a 3rd suggests we are far from becoming non-relevant.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Two #1 recruiting classes in a row and the possibility of a 3rd suggests we are far from becoming non-relevant.
true. recruiting championships are nice. NC are better. i didn't say we were irrelevant. but our standing as a top 3 program isn't anymore, imo. you can easily make the argument that iowa, penn st and tosu are better programs (from a results standpoint) than osu is.
the b12's crummy conference has hurt osu. other things have too. like i said in my original post, if we don't win it in the next 2-3 years our program isn't what it use to be. after a 14 year drought you can already make that statement and not be wrong.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
true. recruiting championships are nice. NC are better. i didn't say we were irrelevant. but our standing as a top 3 program isn't anymore, imo. you can easily make the argument that iowa, penn st and tosu are better programs (from a results standpoint) than osu is.
the b12's crummy conference has hurt osu. other things have too. like i said in my original post, if we don't win it in the next 2-3 years our program isn't what it use to be. after a 14 year drought you can already make that statement and not be wrong.
Since there wasn't a championship for 2020, these are the NWCA final rankings:
2020 OSU #9
2019 OSU #2
2018 OSU #5
2017 OSU #2

That's as far back as I can get the rankings. 2019-20 was a down year because of injuries and Olympic redshirts. But I'll be danged if that doesn't look like a top 3 program to me.

Whenever the Pokes are in Ohio or Penn I try to go see them. I can tell you for a fact that the opposing fans treat us as if we are one of the bad boys on the block.

Iowa certainly has the history, particularly under Gable, and they are still generally a force to be reckoned with. Penn State has certainly been a beast over the past decade. But tOSU being better or even being our equal? GTFO.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Since there wasn't a championship for 2020, these are the NWCA final rankings:
2020 OSU #9
2019 OSU #2
2018 OSU #5
2017 OSU #2

That's as far back as I can get the rankings. 2019-20 was a down year because of injuries and Olympic redshirts. But I'll be danged if that doesn't look like a top 3 program to me.

Whenever the Pokes are in Ohio or Penn I try to go see them. I can tell you for a fact that the opposing fans treat us as if we are one of the bad boys on the block.

Iowa certainly has the history, particularly under Gable, and they are still generally a force to be reckoned with. Penn State has certainly been a beast over the past decade. But tOSU being better or even being our equal? GTFO.
Here's a link to the last twenty national champions and runner up. From 2000:

https://www.ncaa.com/history/wrestling/d1

osu has fallen, anyway you slice it.

Sep 12, 2008
Here's a link to the last twenty national champions and runner up. From 2000:

https://www.ncaa.com/history/wrestling/d1

osu has fallen, anyway you slice it.
In truth, everybody has fallen except for Penn State, even Iowa. Wrestling is now Penn State and the 7 dwarfs. They are a juggernaut much like Iowa and Oklahoma State before that. Penn State has won 8 of the last 9.

Everyone else is playing for 2nd at this time.

Iowa State hasn't won a title since 1987 and OU since 1974!!

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
In truth, everybody has fallen except for Penn State, even Iowa. Wrestling is now Penn State and the 7 dwarfs. They are a juggernaut much like Iowa and Oklahoma State before that. Penn State has won 8 of the last 9.

Everyone else is playing for 2nd at this time.

Iowa State hasn't won a title since 1987 and OU since 1974!!
correct, psu is the gorilla on the block thanks to cael. but the dumpster fire that is B12 wrestling sure doesn't help.
psu's emergence, conference for another, and john, are three reasons for osu's slide. you can't lay the reasons entirely on psu. osu hasn't won a nc since '06. 14 years!?

Sep 12, 2008
B12 hasn't been relevant in wrestling for decades, it is merely OSU. Who do we get to replace John Smith?

And when does our most decorated program get the facilities it deserves?

Last edited:

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
B12 hasn't been relevant in wrestling for decades, it is merely OSU. Who do we get to replace John Smith?

And when does our most decorated program get the facilities it deserves?
good questions. certainly facilities a part of the puzzle. i wouldn't have any idea who could, should or would replace john. don't know if it matters. if the replacement isn't an improvement and athletic dept. focus isn't what it needs to be i don't know that it matters.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
correct, psu is the gorilla on the block thanks to cael. but the dumpster fire that is B12 wrestling sure doesn't help.
psu's emergence, conference for another, and john, are three reasons for osu's slide. you can't lay the reasons entirely on psu. osu hasn't won a nc since '06. 14 years!?
PSU was primed for success when they hired Cael away from his alma mater. They won the championship in his second year as head coach. You don't do that unless the wrestling room is already stocked.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
PSU was primed for success when they hired Cael away from his alma mater. They won the championship in his second year as head coach. You don't do that unless the wrestling room is already stocked.
not going to try and change your mind. youve made it up already. besides thats not the reason i'm responding anyway. so he won in his second year with a "stocked" wrestling room? quite likely. but he was the coach of record when they won, correct? what about the other 8 he's won since then?
don't keep trying to cover for john (or any other coach) it'll be easier for you to accept. coaches have their time in the sun. caels slide will come someday soon. it happens.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
good questions. certainly facilities a part of the puzzle. i wouldn't have any idea who could, should or would replace john. don't know if it matters. if the replacement isn't an improvement and athletic dept. focus isn't what it needs to be i don't know that it matters.
Holder made it clear wrestling facilities were a priority. That's before the wheels came off. And of course, I don't mean came off the wrestling program, or our athletic department, or the state economy, but pretty much everything. Who knows how far away from upgraded facilities now.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
Holder made it clear wrestling facilities were a priority. That's before the wheels came off. And of course, I don't mean came off the wrestling program, or our athletic department, or the state economy, but pretty much everything. Who knows how far away from upgraded facilities now.
good question. the one bright spot might be that facility improvements are usually done with donor money. Maybe there are a few osu alums who have mask companies that have made a mint over the last 6 months???

Sep 6, 2014
I agree Big 12 wrestling is dying a slow death by adding these garbage affiliate programs like Air Force, Utah Valley, Northern Colorado, Fresno State etc who just cannot compete. Doesn't help that West Virginia and 0u have been complete dumpster fires either

Sep 6, 2014
I wish the Big 12 kept our 5 teams and joined forces with the ACC instead to form a wrestling conference since they only have 6 teams at least they have some real good programs like NC State, NC, Virginia Tech, Pitt etc