Big-12 Year in Sports 2021/2022....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Seeing the OSU thread of this topic caused me to reflect on the Conference as a whole. In what was by some standards the most tumultuous in Big-12 history (thanks to OU/Texas) you can't deny the results on the field. While I haven't done the research to prove this, I think it would be hard pressed for any Conference to have put up as impressive of a year as did the Big-12 in the 2021/2022 season. Very impressive results...

Football:
NY6 win by Oklahoma State (#9) over Notre Dame (#5) .
NY6 win by Baylor (#6) over Ole Miss (#8)

Basketball - Men's:
Kansas - National Champion.
Back-to-Back Big-12 National Champions (Baylor prior year).
Six teams in postseason (KU/Baylor/Iowa St/Texas/Texas Tech/TCU)

Basketball - Women's
Texas in Final Four
Six teams in postseason (Texas/Iowa State/Baylor/Oklahoma/Kansas/Kansas St)

Baseball:
Oklahoma - National Runner-Up.
2 teams (OU/Texas) in the Field of 8.
3 more teams in postseason (OSU/TCU/Tech)

Softball:
Oklahoma - National Champion
Back-to-Back Big-12 National Champions (Oklahoma prior year).
OU/OSU/Texas make up 3 of the final 4 teams playing in the WCWS.

Golf - Men's:
Texas - National Champs.
Four Teams in the Final 8 (Texas, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech)

Women's Tennis:
Texas - National Champs.

Women's Rowing:
Texas - National Champs.

Women's Gymnastics:
Oklahoma - National Champs.

Equestrian:
Oklahoma State - National Champs

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2016
florida
Texas men and women both finished 2nd in track and field and swimming at the ncaa finals. As much as this forum cracks on Texas in this forum their athletic programs are pretty salty

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Seeing the OSU thread of this topic caused me to reflect on the Conference as a whole. In what was by some standards the most tumultuous in Big-12 history (thanks to OU/Texas) you can't deny the results on the field. While I haven't done the research to prove this, I think it would be hard pressed for any Conference to have put up as impressive of a year as did the Big-12 in the 2021/2022 season. Very impressive results...

Golf - Men's:
Texas - National Champs.
Men's Golf Championships..

Four Teams in the Final 8 (Oklahoma State, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech)

Individual Championships: Two Big 12 players in the final four playoff.

Parker Coody, Texas
Eugenio Lopez-Chacarra, Oklahoma State

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Would be interesting to see this lined up next to the rest of the conferences.
I haven't had a chance to look at the other leagues, but I've got to believe the SEC would be the ONLY conference that could compare to what the Big-12 has done the last year. I don't see how Big10/Pac10/ACC could possibly compare.

MoCo

Greenhorn
May 3, 2022
Daingerfield, TX
I haven't had a chance to look at the other leagues, but I've got to believe the SEC would be the ONLY conference that could compare to what the Big-12 has done the last year. I don't see how Big10/Pac10/ACC could possibly compare.
For sure. I think seeing the conferences next to each other the way you broke down the Big 12 would show exactly what you’re saying here.

MoCo

Greenhorn
May 3, 2022
Daingerfield, TX
Might be a dumb question, but is there anything like a conference cup currently in place? Would be fun to see points awarded for championships and playoff appearances.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
PAC 12 has traditionally done very well in the "olympic" sports. Not sure if that trend has continued.

Big 10 has got wrestling and lacrosse titles this year.

ACC had two teams in final four.

SEC obviously has football.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Top 5 right now are
Texas
Stanford
Michigan
Ohio St
Florida

Not surprising, Texas has already clinched it this year.
But but but, I have it on good authority from posters on this board that Texas sucks at everything and there is no reason anyone would ever want them!!!!! This has to be inaccurate.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
(IMHO)

IF the football play-off expansion falls through, I think OU/Texas would be foolish to leave the Big-12....

I think a 14-team Big-12 would be solidified as a Top-3 Conference (along with SEC/Big-10) and clearly superior to ACC/PAC-12...

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
(IMHO)

IF the football play-off expansion falls through, I think OU/Texas would be foolish to leave the Big-12....

I think a 14-team Big-12 would be solidified as a Top-3 Conference (along with SEC/Big-10) and clearly superior to ACC/PAC-12...
That’s a great point.

I think even with playoff expansion they would have just as good of a shot of making the CFP, if not better, coming out of the Big12.

The conference could get creative to find a way to make it financially make sense as well.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
(IMHO)

I can't imagine they would turn down that much more money even if they believed it might be tougher to get to the playoffs.

I agree that a 14 team league with ou and ut would clearly be superior to those two but unfortunately still behind the BIG and SEC.