Big 12 Week 12

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Curious how you conclude the committee is looking for a way to keep Bama in the CFP? With only 1 undefeated P5 team, how does ranking 1-loss Bama #3 signal the committee is looking for a way to keep them in it?
They were also originally #2 with one loss ahead of multiple undefeated P5 teams
First rankings were on woefully incomplete resumes.

Regardless, they aren’t ranking teams as a setup for future rankings. They’re ranking them how they see them at that moment in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
Exactly, you can pretty much trace Spencer Sander’s performance to how good his protection is. But you can say that about almost any quarterback. For most of his career he has had to run around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to make something happen, hence the interceptions and turnovers. For several games in a row prior to Tech our offensive line was really coming together and then you saw what Sanders is capable of (which he has always been capable of). The Tech game we had two key lineman out and then lost one of the back ups and one of the injured guys (Sills) had to come in hobbling because we had nobody else and Spencer was again under pressure on every play. I still contend he played well because he avoided turnovers and made smart decisions but you can’t make great pass plays with defenders in your face after one or two seconds! Our offensive success against the Sooners will depend upon how well Dickie can tape together some semblance of an effective offensive line. That’s the key issue, Sanders will deliver if he’s not under constant duress!
Gonna disagree a little bit with you here. As you said, better protection will always equal better results for any QB. However, most of that headless chicken stuff in his career has been of his own making. Barring perfect protection, there are different ways to deal with pressure. In the last couple of games I noticed him sidestepping pressure up the middle, stepping up, and delivering. Or even if he decided to tuck it and run, it was going forward instead of rolling out, which minimized sacks and bad decisions. Think how bad the lines Rudolph had were. He didn't have the luxury of the ability to roll out and away from the pressure, he had to step up and trust the pocket, and he did pretty well. Sanders just needs to continue to step up as he was doing just prior to Tech and he will be fine. Hopefully Godslevske and Sills are both back to full strength by Saturday to make that an easier proposition for him.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Gonna disagree a little bit with you here. As you said, better protection will always equal better results for any QB. However, most of that headless chicken stuff in his career has been of his own making. Barring perfect protection, there are different ways to deal with pressure. In the last couple of games I noticed him sidestepping pressure up the middle, stepping up, and delivering. Or even if he decided to tuck it and run, it was going forward instead of rolling out, which minimized sacks and bad decisions. Think how bad the lines Rudolph had were. He didn't have the luxury of the ability to roll out and away from the pressure, he had to step up and trust the pocket, and he did pretty well. Sanders just needs to continue to step up as he was doing just prior to Tech and he will be fine. Hopefully Godslevske and Sills are both back to full strength by Saturday to make that an easier proposition for him.
His mistakes his own making? Sure, I guess. Buy I don't think it's even debatable that his fundamentals breakdown when he's under pressure. Thus, most of his mistakes are because of pressure (ie, the OLs inability to provide necessary protection).

It's probably more accurate just to say Sanders isn't as good as Rudolph in dealing with pressure.

Nov 6, 2010
His mistakes his own making? Sure, I guess. Buy I don't think it's even debatable that his fundamentals breakdown when he's under pressure. Thus, most of his mistakes are because of pressure (ie, the OLs inability to provide necessary protection).

It's probably more accurate just to say Sanders isn't as good as Rudolph in dealing with pressure.
No, his way to deal with pressure is/was his own making. Go rewatch how he dealt with it in the TCU and WVU games, even with pressure in his face. He didn't bail, he stepped up, much like Rudolph would have. I just felt like against Tech he reverted back to his old instincts in dealing with the pressure. Look at the results. Given the defensive dominance, we should have scored 40, but we only scored 23, which was a very similar output to earlier in the season.

Jan 14, 2006
No, his way to deal with pressure is/was his own making. Go rewatch how he dealt with it in the TCU and WVU games, even with pressure in his face. He didn't bail, he stepped up, much like Rudolph would have. I just felt like against Tech he reverted back to his old instincts in dealing with the pressure. Look at the results. Given the defensive dominance, we should have scored 40, but we only scored 23, which was a very similar output to earlier in the season.
Makes sense that he wouldn't be able to step up into the pocket when it's the center and guard that are hurt and the pressure comes up the middle.

Nov 6, 2010
Makes sense that he wouldn't be able to step up into the pocket when it's the center and guard that are hurt and the pressure comes up the middle.
Yea, I get that, but I remember several plays in those previous games where the pressure was right up the middle and he sidestepped and delivered the ball. Maybe a difference between a blitz vs. DL pressure up the middle, IDK.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Not sure what defensive dominance has to do with our offense's output. Regardless, I'm also not sure how he dealt with pressure on a couple of plays, without us knowing the playcall or the downfield reads and progressions, indicates a regression or less than optimal handling of pressure. I think what we do know and Gundy has told us multiple times is that his fundamentals suffer when he's under pressure.

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
It seems everyone has been saying that if Bama plays Georgia close they'll stay in the top four, but I don't see how the committee does that. It would essentially just be a rematch of the SEC championship which would be literally the last game both teams played. I can't imagine anyone wants that. We'll have already seen that game and know the outcome.
We had to endure a rematch of LSU vs. Bama 2011
Although that was not in consecutive weeks. If LSU and Bama hadn’t played in 2011 until the SEC title game and Bama lost then, there would not have been a rematch. They had months to win more games and get talked up instead of coming off a loss in the final rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk