Big 12 Week 12

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
TCU won on a last second field goal. Had Kansas won this game they would have tied Texas and won the last place "tie breaker" head to head, which would have officially put Texas in absolute last place in the Big 12. Nice kiss goodbye from the conference. Now if we can keep OU out of the CCG and make them an also-ran, I'd consider that a pretty good shutout of the deserters, and the new Big12 would have 4 teams ranked in the top 25. An amazing season of football so far.
Bumping this comment. Dig where your mind is at.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Agree. That's been my view since before the first CFP ranking.
A few weeks ago we were 50/50, maybe 60/40. Oregon loss among others has helped in the mean time. If there are 5 Power conferences and all of them have undefeated or one loss champs, somebody is going to get left out. Throw in an undefeated independent or two teams from the same conference (undefeated and one loss SEC teams) and two get left out. It's going to eventually happen if we stay with a four team playoff.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
After re-watching the game, it looked to me like SS reverted back to some old bad habits. Didn't see him stepping up in the pocked like he had been the last couple games.
I noticed that too. In his defense, I think TT D line was doing a lot of stunts that freed up a d-lineman rushing up the middle. Kinda of hard to step in to your throws with a defender in your face. We had some backups playing in our o-line, and it showed.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Agree. That's been my view since before the first CFP ranking.
A few weeks ago we were 50/50, maybe 60/40. Oregon loss among others has helped in the mean time. If there are 5 Power conferences and all of them have undefeated or one loss champs, somebody is going to get left out. Throw in an undefeated independent or two teams from the same conference (undefeated and one loss SEC teams) and two get left out. It's going to eventually happen if we stay with a four team playoff.
It’s much simpler and a pretty easy call 4weeks ago.

The B12 is tougher than the PAC, ACC, any G5 and ND. Thus a 12-1 B12 champ will trump a 1-loss champs from those, or an undefeated G5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
It’s much simpler and a pretty easy call 4weeks ago.

The B12 is tougher than the PAC, ACC, any G5 and ND. Thus a 12-1 B12 champ will trump a 1-loss champs from those, or an undefeated G5.

Let's see how things work out. Georgia is in and it's obvious the committee really likes Bama and is looking for a way to keep them in the CFP.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Let's see how things work out. Georgia is in and it's obvious the committee really likes Bama and is looking for a way to keep them in the CFP.
Curious how you conclude the committee is looking for a way to keep Bama in the CFP? With only 1 undefeated P5 team, how does ranking 1-loss Bama #3 signal the committee is looking for a way to keep them in it?

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
It seems everyone has been saying that if Bama plays Georgia close they'll stay in the top four, but I don't see how the committee does that. It would essentially just be a rematch of the SEC championship which would be literally the last game both teams played. I can't imagine anyone wants that. We'll have already seen that game and know the outcome.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
It seems everyone has been saying that if Bama plays Georgia close they'll stay in the top four, but I don't see how the committee does that. It would essentially just be a rematch of the SEC championship which would be literally the last game both teams played. I can't imagine anyone wants that. We'll have already seen that game and know the outcome.
We had to endure a rematch of LSU vs. Bama 2011

Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
After re-watching the game, it looked to me like SS reverted back to some old bad habits. Didn't see him stepping up in the pocked like he had been the last couple games.
I noticed that too. In his defense, I think TT D line was doing a lot of stunts that freed up a d-lineman rushing up the middle. Kinda of hard to step in to your throws with a defender in your face. We had some backups playing in our o-line, and it showed.
Exactly, you can pretty much trace Spencer Sander’s performance to how good his protection is. But you can say that about almost any quarterback. For most of his career he has had to run around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to make something happen, hence the interceptions and turnovers. For several games in a row prior to Tech our offensive line was really coming together and then you saw what Sanders is capable of (which he has always been capable of). The Tech game we had two key lineman out and then lost one of the back ups and one of the injured guys (Sills) had to come in hobbling because we had nobody else and Spencer was again under pressure on every play. I still contend he played well because he avoided turnovers and made smart decisions but you can’t make great pass plays with defenders in your face after one or two seconds! Our offensive success against the Sooners will depend upon how well Dickie can tape together some semblance of an effective offensive line. That’s the key issue, Sanders will deliver if he’s not under constant duress!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Curious how you conclude the committee is looking for a way to keep Bama in the CFP? With only 1 undefeated P5 team, how does ranking 1-loss Bama #3 signal the committee is looking for a way to keep them in it?
Their ranking is inflated...they are getting propped up by their past performance from other years...it's understandable, but IMHO it's incorrect. NOW if they beat Georgia then fine...but if they lose...even by 1, they need to be out having two losses to two different teams.

top 10-1 teams, who and how they lost...you be the judge of why they are ranked where they are

10-1 #3 Alabama @ Texas A&M final score 41-38, lost by 3 on the road, should have been worse as Alabama caught a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter when it's Oline wasn't set.

10-1 #2 Ohio State home vs Oregon, final score 35-28 7 point win for an Oregon team at the "shoe" that lost to Stanford and got blown out by Utah.

10-1 #5 Michigan lost on the road at Michigan State 37-33 on the road...may have been added in the MSU victory by some controversy so this is perhaps an equal loss to Oklahoma States loss.

10-1 #6 Notre Dame lost at home to #4 Cincinnati 24-13, beaten by two scores in that home environment...why are they ranked #6?

10-1 #7 Oklahoma State lost on the road at Iowa State by 24-21 when they were denied what looked like a first down in the final minutes of a game when they were driving to perhaps score and seal a victory.

10-1 #10 Oklahoma lost to Baylor on the road 27-14...Baylor defense won the day.

I'd say the losses in here that are the most forgivable at this point are...

Oklahoma State's, Michigan's, and Alabama's in that order...I think we should be ranked #5 or #6 right now...but we have to win to seal this deal and Saturday is an Epic opportunity IF we take care of things it will all work out...IF we don't it will be another in a long line of Bedlam disappointments.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
We had to endure a rematch of LSU vs. Bama 2011
Dude, that was a different situation with a different set of rules with different criteria.

Apples to ice bergs.