Big 12 Week 12

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
It's good to see Kansas playing decent football. I mean, it's either they're playing good football, or every single Big 12 team not in Oklahoma sucks beyond comprehension. But good for Kansas anyway.
TCU won on a last second field goal. Had Kansas won this game they would have tied Texas and won the last place "tie breaker" head to head, which would have officially put Texas in absolute last place in the Big 12. Nice kiss goodbye from the conference. Now if we can keep OU out of the CCG and make them an also-ran, I'd consider that a pretty good shutout of the deserters, and the new Big12 would have 4 teams ranked in the top 25. An amazing season of football so far.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Don't expect a reply.

"1-loss P5 champions get in."

:lol:
Well, maybe; Oregon's big loss helps. Georgia is in no matter what, even if they lose to Bama in the CCG. If Bama wins the CCG, they are in (and may be in if they lose close). If Oregon had won out they would have been a one loss P5 champ. Either tOSU or Michigan will likely be a one loss P5 champ. ND is a one loss independent. OSU wins out we would be a one loss champ. Especially with two SEC teams, there would not have been enough playoff slots; we'd been up against one loss Oregon or tOSU/Michigan or two loss Bama for the fourth slot. And that ignores the wild cards - one loss indy ND and an undefeated Cincinnati.

What really messes it up is starting with two SEC teams in. To be a lock we need a little help.

Last edited:

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Well, maybe; Oregon's big loss helps. Georgia is in no matter what, even if they lose to Bama in the CCG. If Bama wins the CCG, they are in (and may be in if they lose close). If Oregon had won out they would have been a one loss P5 champ. Either tOSU or Michigan will likely be a one loss P5 champ. ND is a one loss independent. OSU wins out we would be a one loss champ. Especially with two SEC teams, there would not have been enough playoff slots; we'd been up against one loss Oregon or tOSU/Michigan or two loss Bama for the fourth slot. That ignores the wild cards - one loss indy ND and an undefeated Cincinnati.

What really messes it up is starting with two SEC teams in.
War Eagle!

Oct 27, 2011
Auburn, Georgia Tech, Stanford, and ECU winning this week would help OSU's playoff odds. Not all is needed but would help.

Auburn removes a non-champ Bama threat giving them loss #2 before UGA
GT knocking off UGA would make a non-champ UGA have a hard time getting in.
Stanford knocking off ND would all but doom the Irish
ECU upsetting Cincy ends their bid
Michigan and Ohio State will eliminate one of the two and advance the other so no real rooting interest here.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Auburn, Georgia Tech, Stanford, and ECU winning this week would help OSU's playoff odds. Not all is needed but would help.

Michigan and Ohio State will eliminate one of the two and advance the other so no real rooting interest here.
This may be the most delusional post I've ever seen on this board.

Auburn has a VERY slight chance. None of the other underdogs you mentioned have any chance at all of winning. Literally. Zero.

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

Auburn has a VERY slight chance. None of the other underdogs you mentioned have any chance at all of winning. Literally. Zero.
And Auburn’s starting QB is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Just read an article by Stewart Mandel in the Athletic (below). He lays out 10 CFP scenarios. In EVERY scenario where Ok State goes 12-1, we’re in the CFP, including the “chalk” scenario and the scenario where Bama beats UGA. A 12-1 OU does not make the CFP. I mostly agree with his conclusions except I think a 12-1 OU can get in.

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1462876065697656841?s=21

Last edited by a moderator:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

The way backups have played this year in their first games, that might be a good thing for Auburn.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
What continues to be puzzling is how many fans and pundits forget the history of the final CFP rankings and are apparently only capable of looking at the preliminary rankings and assume the only way a team can fall in the rankings is to lose and conversely the only way a team can move up in the rankings is to win AND have a team in front of them lose - or in other words linear thinking. It looks like Mandel has moved past that model and is evaluating the probable final records, resumes and historical treatment in the final CFP rankings to predict the CFP participants.

I guess we'll see. Let's just hope OSU finishes 12-1 to find out.

PokeIncognito

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 1, 2013
What continues to be puzzling is how many fans and pundits forget the history of the final CFP rankings and are apparently only capable of looking at the preliminary rankings and assume the only way a team can fall in the rankings is to lose and conversely the only way a team can move up in the rankings is to win AND have a team in front of them lose - or in other words linear thinking. It looks like Mandel has moved past that model and is evaluating the probable final records, resumes and historical treatment in the final CFP rankings to predict the CFP participants.

I guess we'll see. Let's just hope OSU finishes 12-1 to find out.
There’s a <2% chance 12-1 OSU is left out.

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

The way backups have played this year in their first games, that might be a good thing for Auburn.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yeah, about that. Their backup played last week when they lost to South Carolina and put up a QBR of 27.7. :(

I think Arkansas had a better shot at beating Bama than Auburn does this week. Hope I’m wrong.