Big 12 Week 12

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Weird week for the Big 12 standings as it relates to OSU.

I hate cheering for OU, but I think we may have to this week if we want the best shot at the playoff and Big 12 Championship Game.

Best case scenario for OSU:

1. OSU wins. Gotta do that first.
2. OU wins. Clinches a spot in Big XII title game for OSU. And ensures OSU plays a team ranked #13 or higher next week.
3. Baylor wins. OSU either beats OU and plays Top 10 Baylor in the Big 12 title game or loses to OU, wins the tie breaker with Baylor and gets another shot at OU in the title game.

If OU loses to Iowa State at 11am, then we would want Baylor to lose to KSU at 4:30pm for OSU to clinch a spot and the same scenario as #3 above could play out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Assuming the Pokes win out, we definitely want to be facing Baylor in the CCG. Need to beat that higher ranked team.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I’ve been watching the TT vs ISU game. ISU looks nothing like they did when we played them. Their defense looks horrible despite Tech not really doing anything great on offense. And believe it or not, the Tech defense may be the worst we’ve faced all season. It’s really been a game of flags and TO’s.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I’ve been watching the TT vs ISU game. ISU looks nothing like they did when we played them. Their defense looks horrible despite Tech not really doing anything great on offense. And believe it or not, the Tech defense may be the worst we’ve faced all season. It’s really been a game of flags and TO’s.
Side not. The commentating crew they have for this game really makes me appreciate Brando and Tillman.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
We need a one-loss OU going in to our game to have a chance at a "quality" win. OU favored by 4 over ISU in Norman - so ISU would have been favored if the game were at Ames like ours. If ISU brings their A game they have an excellent chance of winning. ISU's poor showing at Tech may have been partly due to players looking forward to OU this week. Easy to say one game at a time, sometimes hard to do.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2006
Tulsa, OK
We need a one-loss OU going in to our game to have a chance at a "quality" win. OU favored by 4 over ISU in Norman - so ISU would have been favored if the game were at Ames like ours. If ISU brings their A game they have an excellent chance of winning. ISU's poor showing at Tech may have been partly due to players looking forward to OU this week. Easy to say one game at a time, sometimes hard to do.
Not necessarily, an ISU win makes our loss look better. Plus we have less chance of playing OU a second time in the B12 Championship game. I’d rather play Baylor again as I feel we have improved so much since that game with our O-line and receivers all back healthy. If we keep winning it won’t matter the quality as teams ahead of us will start dropping like flies starting this weekend.

PokeIncognito

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 1, 2013
It’s a bottom 3 defense, no doubt.

My prediction…

20-7 halftime score.

54-13 final.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Not necessarily, an ISU win makes our loss look better. Plus we have less chance of playing OU a second time in the B12 Championship game. I’d rather play Baylor again as I feel we have improved so much since that game with our O-line and receivers all back healthy. If we keep winning it won’t matter the quality as teams ahead of us will start dropping like flies starting this weekend.
The problem is: one thing the selection committee has made very plain is they value a quality win more than a loss (which is why Oregon State with a win over tOSU is still ranked so highly, for example). In their eyes we don't yet have a quality win, which is why we are ranked below the other 1 loss teams. We need a win over a 1 loss OU to move up.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
The problem is: one thing the selection committee has made very plain is they value a quality win more than a loss (which is why Oregon State with a win over tOSU is still ranked so highly, for example). In their eyes we don't yet have a quality win, which is why we are ranked below the other 1 loss teams. We need a win over a 1 loss OU to move up.
I guess number 11 Baylor isn’t a quality win.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
That would take alot, ALOT.
While Brando and especially Tillman are not my favorite, Brando was and still is lobbying hard for Oklahoma State. He was absolutely gushing over the Pokes towards the end of the TCU game and has been lobbying hard on social media.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
That's the truth. If we can snag a win in Lubbock we'll move up a spot at minimum since tOSU and MSU play each other. There's a more than decent chance we could be sitting at 6th come next Tuesday should Oregon and Cincinnati lose.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I guess number 11 Baylor isn’t a quality win.
You'd think that would count for more. But when asked about OSU in an interview last week the chairman of the selection committee mentioned we did not have a quality win. It was prior to Baylor's win over OU and at the time Baylor was ranked as low as 18, so that win might help - but they only bumped us from 10 to 9 AFTER the Baylor win, so it didn't do much. Sounds like they do not have a high regard for Big 12 teams in general.

No doubt we are ranked lower than we deserve. Beating a one-loss OU would make it very difficult for the committee to keep us down.

Last edited: