Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 8, 2010
Except for BYU, out new conference additions are showing their true colors this season. They will be consistent middle of the pack teams in the new Big XII. BYU was the only gem in that expansion.

Oct 30, 2007
Except for BYU, out new conference additions are showing their true colors this season. They will be consistent middle of the pack teams in the new Big XII. BYU was the only gem in that expansion.
Still not convinced. Houston, bottom w WVU, BYU and cinci middle, UCF bottom third w Houston and wvu.

This probably assumes KU coach is not somewhere else next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2006
USA
Don’t understand the hate on some of our new conference members. Everyone seems to agree BYU is legit, but Cincy is in the top 25 with their lone loss being on the road in a hard fought game against Arkansas.

UCF is average this year and Houston is below average. However, those teams are in the most fertile recruiting grounds of anyone in the conference which makes them dangerous long term.

Aug 7, 2006
I think as long as Cincinnati keeps Fickell, they will be pretty good. They had to replace NINE guys who were drafted last year including a 4-year starter at QB and they're sitting at 4-1 with the only loss being on the road at Arkansas to open the season. Most likely, they're going to win the AAC again and set themselves up to compete in the Big 12 next season.

UCF and Houston have been up and down the last decade, with some really big ups... their downs are usually because their coaches leave when they have success. That shouldn't be a problem once they're in the Big 12. UCF has pretty good support for their games and that should carryover when they're in the league. I've watched them a few times this year and I think they're pretty good. The game against Cinci in a few weeks could be pretty big. Houston probably won't ever routinely fill their stadium and when it is filled it will be with opposing fans, but they were added because of their location and that isn't going to change.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Don’t understand the hate on some of our new conference members. Everyone seems to agree BYU is legit, but Cincy is in the top 25 with their lone loss being on the road in a hard fought game against Arkansas.

UCF is average this year and Houston is below average. However, those teams are in the most fertile recruiting grounds of anyone in the conference which makes them dangerous long term.
I think more people were okay with them until the Big10 changed things. Before it felt like OU and Texas were bolstering the SEC by adding a couple big money programs that wouldn’t threaten the big dogs of the SEC on field.

It felt like adding the 4 helped secure the Big12 by establishing footholds in key demographic locations with programs that have recently established themselves as competitive.

Now, it feels like a full on arms race. A division between the haves and the have-nots. We see the Big10 and SEC doing billion dollar deals by strategically adding big teams. While it feels like the teams we’re adding are not adding to, but taking from.

Now it’s not ALL about the money but it’s hard to compete at a high level for an extended period of time with the difference in revenue. Hell just look at OSU in the 20 years before TBP vs the 20 years after.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I think as long as Cincinnati keeps Fickell, they will be pretty good. They had to replace NINE guys who were drafted last year including a 4-year starter at QB and they're sitting at 4-1 with the only loss being on the road at Arkansas to open the season. Most likely, they're going to win the AAC again and set themselves up to compete in the Big 12 next season.

UCF and Houston have been up and down the last decade, with some really big ups... their downs are usually because their coaches leave when they have success. That shouldn't be a problem once they're in the Big 12. UCF has pretty good support for their games and that should carryover when they're in the league. I've watched them a few times this year and I think they're pretty good. The game against Cinci in a few weeks could be pretty big. Houston probably won't ever routinely fill their stadium and when it is filled it will be with opposing fans, but they were added because of their location and that isn't going to change.
I agree with this assessment. I think BYU, Cincy and UCF are going to be good solid, top-25 teams going forward, with good atmospheres for home games. Houston is what it is. They've never had good fan support, going back to the old SWC days when Andre Ware was winning a Heisman. But they are in a fertile recruiting area and will always have some talent. Their biggest issue right now seems to be Holgerson's lack of instilling discipline. They're very sloppy and uneven. Despite that, they beat Auburn last year.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I agree with this assessment. I think BYU, Cincy and UCF are going to be good solid, top-25 teams going forward, with good atmospheres for home games. Houston is what it is. They've never had good fan support, going back to the old SWC days when Andre Ware was winning a Heisman. But they are in a fertile recruiting area and will always have some talent. Their biggest issue right now seems to be Holgerson's lack of instilling discipline. They're very sloppy and uneven. Despite that, they beat Auburn last year.
...and nobody's shocked!:woot:

Aug 7, 2006
Their biggest problem is Holgorsen is a terrible head coach. He's a guy you'd be fine running your offense, but not the guy in charge of the entire program.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Their biggest problem is Holgorsen is a terrible head coach. He's a guy you'd be fine running your offense, but not the guy in charge of the entire program.
I was just saying that to my buddy this weekend. Holgy should just go to a big money program with and run the offense effectively for a couple million a year.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
As much as I agree, it's all relative. I bet WVU would love to have him back.
Don't know, but I doubt it. They got to be the beta version head coached by him and saw the same uneven play, for 7 years. Only Nolaeer thought they were a recruiting class away from turning the corner after 3/4 of a decade under Holgy.

Osborne would have been out of his depth against The Three Criminal Amigos of Art, Bob and Lincoln. Switzer wasn't in those three's league
Osborne had a squeaky clean image for some reason, but he was every bit as crooked as Switzer, Briles, and Paterno. 1990s Nebraska was teams full of rapists, thieves, murderers--and Dr. Tom covered up for each one of them. Lincoln and Bob are choirboys in comparison.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Osborne had a squeaky clean image for some reason, but he was every bit as crooked as Switzer, Briles, and Paterno. 1990s Nebraska was teams full of rapists, thieves, murderers--and Dr. Tom covered up for each one of them. Lincoln and Bob are choirboys in comparison.
His decision to stick with Lawrence Philips blew any of that stuff out of the water.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I think an interesting byproduct of all the conference shuffling, NIL & transfer portals is what's happening to the traditional timeline of when firings occur. Edwards at ASU, Dorell at CU, Frost at Nebraska, now Chryst at Wisconsin. And it's only week 6!

Nov 6, 2010
They've got problems all over, but I can't help but wonder how different they'd be with Martinez at QB this year.
Martinez actually got benched in favor of the younger McCaffrey brother the year before, then he promptly transferred out too. Then Wandale Robinson transferred out just to name a couple off the top of my head. They definitely lost some difference makers to the portal.