Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Is that why their recruiting classes have been ranked in the top 25 nationally for 8 out the last 10 years, with several of those inside the top 20?

Nebraska has problems, but talent & recruiting hasn't been one of them.
I'm going to go back to my recruiting strategy argument. There are maybe 50 "can't miss" recruits every class. The next 50-500 are pretty comparable, even though the ranking "experts" draw distinctions between them. So IMO the recruiting class rankings for 10-50 are so subjective it's almost irrelevant. Nebraska is way too scattershot in their approach to truly evaluate their recruits.

Sep 9, 2013
Anyone who doesnt think the new Big 12 will be one of the most competitive conferences is in for a shock.

You will see the value of the conference with our new TV deal, which will be better than the ACC and Pac.

The TV rating for WVU's games against Pitt and VT was better than many of the SEC BIG matchups. And WVU has been down for a decade and was going head-to-head with NFL.

I think Baylor, kstate, OSU, BYU, and even TT will have
good ratings.

Oct 30, 2007
Anyone who doesnt think the new Big 12 will be one of the most competitive conferences is in for a shock.

You will see the value of the conference with our new TV deal, which will be better than the ACC and Pac.

The TV rating for WVU's games against Pitt and VT was better than many of the SEC BIG matchups. And WVU has been down for a decade and was going head-to-head with NFL.

I think Baylor, kstate, OSU, BYU, and even TT will have
good ratings.
Not sure about this. Both Houston fans appear to be at the game tonight. Byu looks ok. Ucf not good. Cinci looks ok. Houston not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2013
Not sure about this. Both Houston fans appear to be at the game tonight. Byu looks ok. Ucf not good. Cinci looks ok. Houston not good.

BYU is a national brand. they have a better brand than any big 12 team not named OU or Texas.

The other 3 bring markets and recruiting. and they will only get better being in a power 5 conference.

not that we want cinn to get any better....

Oct 30, 2007

BYU is a national brand. they have a better brand than any big 12 team not named OU or Texas.

The other 3 bring markets and recruiting. and they will only get better being in a power 5 conference.

not that we want cinn to get any better....
I am talking football not media.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Nebraska will never be back among the best in college football again. Nebraska was able to have success because of two reasons: 1) football has changed and has become more athletic game. Nebraska could win power football with big kids and sprinkling of talented athletes. You can't do that anymore. 2) Nebraska under Tom Osborne was a program full of criminals and cover-ups. Remember, Baldwin, Peter, Phillips, Benning, etc. When Osborne was winning, he was doing so with a roster full of absolute outlaws and deviants. Osborne covered up for each one and allowed them to continue playing. Heck, he even hid a gun involved in a shooting by one of his players from police. That kind of lawlessness can't be hidden for long in today's world. Even Joe Paterno and Art Briles had a reckoning (not enough, but still lost their jobs). I should add that Osborne was only able to win with his criminals when the cheater-in-chief Barry Switzer was forced out at OU with the same kind of players Osborne later won national
Osborne would have been out of his depth against The Three Criminal Amigos of Art, Bob and Lincoln. Switzer wasn't in those three's league

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
OSU has a big alumni presence in Houston, and we draw more Houston tv viewers to a game than U of H. Of the teams we are adding, U of H will likely bring the fewest incremental viewers. As for people in the seats, they were offering tickets to the Tulane game for $10. You see what kind of crowd it generated.

Sep 9, 2013
OSU has a big alumni presence in Houston, and we draw more Houston tv viewers to a game than U of H. Of the teams we are adding, U of H will likely bring the fewest incremental viewers. As for people in the seats, they were offering tickets to the Tulane game for $10. You see what kind of crowd it generated.
And if football prowess or fans in the seats meant anything UCLA wouldnt have got a BIG invite over Oregon and Washington.

It's all about markets. There's a reason rutgers is in the BIG. And it isnt bc butts in the seats or football ability.

and the BIG just inked a massive tv deal, bigger than the SEC, so they know what theyre doing.

ill assume our new commissioner knows what he's doing too, until im proven wrong.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
The TV rating for WVU's games against Pitt and VT was better than many of the SEC BIG matchups.
Data and source?

Also should add the caveat that both games referenced were on Thursday, with one game occurung before the start of the NFL season and the other game competing against Coastal Carolina-Georgia St., Illinois-Chattanoog, and Steelers-Browns (both bad, but a “rivalry”).

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
And if football prowess or fans in the seats meant anything UCLA wouldnt have got a BIG invite over Oregon and Washington.

It's all about markets. There's a reason rutgers is in the BIG. And it isnt bc butts in the seats or football ability.

and the BIG just inked a massive tv deal, bigger than the SEC, so they know what theyre doing.

ill assume our new commissioner knows what he's doing too, until im proven wrong.
Big differences between UCLA/BIG and U of H/Big 12. Markets are just potential viewers; it doesn't matter how big the market is if they aren't watching. At one time UCLA captured really good viewership and the BIG had zero presence in the LA market. With rare exceptions U of H has never drawn a lot of viewers in the Houston market, and the Big 12 already has good presence in the Houston market with OSU, TCU, TTech and Baylor all good draws. The only advantage U of H generates is it allows Big 12 teams to travel to and play games in Houston. That's it.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
In fairness, Tulane is pretty dang good. They did beat KSU a couple of weeks ago. And Houston, despite their turbulent season, did win twelve games last year, including a bowl win over Auburn (6-7 record notwithstanding.) Potential is there.

Oct 30, 2007
In fairness, Tulane is pretty dang good. They did beat KSU a couple of weeks ago. And Houston, despite their turbulent season, did win twelve games last year, including a bowl win over Auburn (6-7 record notwithstanding.) Potential is there.
Plus, BOTH fans were at the game yesterday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
Big differences between UCLA/BIG and U of H/Big 12. Markets are just potential viewers; it doesn't matter how big the market is if they aren't watching. At one time UCLA captured really good viewership and the BIG had zero presence in the LA market. With rare exceptions U of H has never drawn a lot of viewers in the Houston market, and the Big 12 already has good presence in the Houston market with OSU, TCU, TTech and Baylor all good draws. The only advantage U of H generates is it allows Big 12 teams to travel to and play games in Houston. That's it.
And this guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilman_Fertitta