Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
5 national titles... one actually more recent than oU's last title... and they are NOT a blueblood???
Nope, they had a moment in the sun. Blue bloods continue to sell out huge stadiums even in downturns. It was a nice run, but it will never be repeated. Nebraska will be back before they are.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Nope, they had a moment in the sun. Blue bloods continue to sell out huge stadiums even in downturns. It was a nice run, but it will never be repeated. Nebraska will be back before they are.
They were, and are, a commuter school in a large city.

They won national titles in 3 consecutive decades. It's a pretty short list of schools that have done that.

Comparing that to UNLV is just bad.

Nov 6, 2010

They won national titles in 3 consecutive decades. It's a pretty short list of schools that have done that.

OK, maybe not a great comparison, but you get the point. They ain't Michigan, and their time is long gone.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Good lord, what does that make UCLA?!?!?

And why in God's name did they B10 take/want them?!?!?!? Over anybody... :blink:

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
But there are so many other things to do in Miami other than football.

I hope you catch the California sarcasm

Sep 6, 2014
2 questions:

1. How much sooner, by what year?
2. If answer to #1 is 2032 or earlier, I'll take the bet for whatever makes you uncomfortable
Clemson especially will be in a big boy conference by 2026, they bring too much to the table football wise to not. On a side note, it would be great if they brought back their wrestling program

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Good lord, what does that make UCLA?!?!?

And why in God's name did they B10 take/want them?!?!?!? Over anybody... :blink:
1. UCLA kills it in academics.
2. UCLA gets about 50,000 to their games in attendance. The stadium holds 92k so yeah it’s not a good look.
3. UCLA gets better TV ratings than us and we’re one of the best that’s not in the Big10/SEC- and that’s been through mediocre
4. UCLA is in a market of 20 million people Even as a third banana; they have a tremendous upside.

That’s why UCLA is in the Big 10 over us.

We aren’t chopped liver. I believe Mr. Weiberg and Dr. Shrum will bust their ass to get us out of our kiddie pool conference.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

Agree with all of this except the commuter school thing. They're a good research and academic institution that draws people from way beyond Miami. Despite its name, FIU is much more the commuter school in that area.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
2. UCLA gets about 50,000 to their games in attendance. The stadium holds 92k so yeah it’s not a good look.
3. UCLA gets better TV ratings than us and we’re one of the best that’s not in the Big10/SEC- and that’s been through mediocre
4. UCLA is in a market of 20 million people Even as a third banana; they have a tremendous upside.

We aren’t chopped liver. I believe Mr. Weiberg and Dr. Shrum will bust their ass to get us out of our kiddie pool conference.
Last year UCLA had 2 games over 3 million viewers, OSU had 3 games over 6 million viewers. Do they have the potential to be bigger? Yes, but right now no one is watching bad UCLA football.

They got chosen for their academics, basketball, and most likely because USC wanted it to be a package deal which is what an instate rival should do based on mutual respect.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee

Not recently. Although the second article shows the attendance was better in 2014.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...or-ucla-since-announcing-move-to-big-ten/amp/

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla...endance-woes-hit-new-low-chip-kelly?_amp=true

Oct 29, 2016
US
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I agree, except I'm not sure Miami gets that invitation. It seems to me they've become somewhat of a Louisville or Memphis level of marketability. And the SEC would already have Florida and Florida State, so I think Miami might be a better future Big XII fit.
Please no Miami. If you think their boosters (i.e. Ruiz) are out of control now, just wait to see what happens if they actually start winning.

Nov 18, 2010
Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah? Unreal. We - at least I - should hope that OSU leadership is actively pursuing joining a better conference than the utter disaster the Big 12 is headed toward. All of this sucks beyond anything that has sucked because. The BIg 12 will soon be completely irrelevant. It's sad
Big 12 champ in the playoff every year. Permanent relevance.

How will OU's program hold up when they finish 4th or 5th in the SEC every year...and don't make the playoff for 10 years?

Ask once mighty Nebraska fans how they feel about moving to the big 10.