Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
With BIG contract final (and w/o ORE & Wash) seems like the writings on the wall for them- join the Big12 or get even farther behind by sticking in PAC (whose media deal will be worse than Big12j
Big isn’t done according to todays reports, their contract can grow up to $10B with expansion according to McMurphey

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Go to a 24 team conf by adding 6 from PAC (O/WU/AZ/AZST/Stanford/UT) add 6 from ACC (Louisville/Duke/VT/Pitt/VA/NCSt). Go to 4 quads and sell a 4 or 8 team conf playoff (depends on expanded CFP auto bid) along w best basketball conf hands down.
Who is UT in the PAC? Utah? We don't want Stanturd or Cal.

When it's all said and done, there would probably only be 4 available from the PAC (UA, ASU, CU, UU) and an unknown number from the ACC.

I say unknown from the ACC, because everyone keeps saying the SEC would take Clemson, FSU, Miami, and maybe an NCSt. But would they really? Right now, Notre Dame is the only school that would increase the payout per school should they join the B1G or the SEC. If you are the B1G or the SEC are you voting to add a school that would reduce your per school payout? Schools are jumping conferences to increase their yearly payout, not reduce it. I cannot see them adding a school that would reduce their payout.

I know these numbers are not the most accurate (https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-were-the-most-watched-in-2021-49ef4f315858
), but for the top schools, the numbers should be fairly accurate as their games are on channels were viewership stats are available. Of the available schools (outside B1G, SEC, and Notre Dame (2.84M)) , Oregon is #10 (2.57M avg viewers per game), Clemson is #19 (1.74M), and we are #22 (1.58M). Washington is #38 (985K).

I could see the B1G wanting Oregon and Notre Dame except for 2 reasons, Notre Dame wants to remain independent and USCLA doesn't want Oregon to continue stealing croots from Cali.

What I find interesting about these numbers is UCLA is #29 (1.18M) and USC is #32 (1.11M). That doesn't seem to support them being big adds for the B1G. I also wonder what their viewership numbers will be like when aside from playing each other, their only regional games will be out of conference games. In years USC plays Notre Dame, the viewership will be high, but will it be that high when they play San Jose State? I guess the networks are counting on B1G fans watching Rutgers at UCLA because it MIGHT impact who plays for the conference title. I think I'm talking myself into USCLA seeing a small bump in viewership, but not enough that I can see supporting $70-$100 million a year. I bet in the first couple of years USCLA sees a lot of tosu, Michigan, Penn St, Michigan St, Wisconsin, and Nebraska (the bigger draw schools).

That makes 6 schools (not B1G, SEC, or ND) that had a higher average viewership than UCLA and 7 that outdrew USC in 2021.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I'm starting to get nervous that the B12 is getting left behind. After hearing the B1G commish talking about more expansion and paying players yesterday, and hearing rumblings of Amazon getting involved and offering some sort of GOR deal to get Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford and potentially Texas and OU to the B1G (saw it on Texags.com), I'm sensing that the ship is about to sail without us. Could be idle rumor and speculation, but I'm not feeling as confident as I was about the B12 staying in the power conference mix.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I'm starting to get nervous that the B12 is getting left behind. After hearing the B1G commish talking about more expansion and paying players yesterday, and hearing rumblings of Amazon getting involved and offering some sort of GOR deal to get Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford and potentially Texas and OU to the B1G (saw it on Texags.com), I'm sensing that the ship is about to sail without us. Could be idle rumor and speculation, but I'm not feeling as confident as I was about the B12 staying in the power conference mix.
The only part of that rumor I believe is that it came from Texags.

Tell them the SEC already has a contingency plan if OUT bolt: they will take OSU and BU, and they're already secretly floating the story they'd be getting better football teams anyway.

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City
Lol texags. That is a completely made up story for clicks. No way that happens.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Lol texags. That is a completely made up story for clicks. No way that happens.
That story may have been on TexAgs but it originated out of 247Sports and is running on BIG school sites like Nebraska. The California Regents are controlled by UCal graduates and they don't like being left out. I didn't see anything about the People's Republic of Norman getting an invite to the BIG but there is plenty of talk about the whorns. I thought there was less than a 10% chance of this happening but its apparent Phil Knight is very involved.

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City
That story may have been on TexAgs but it originated out of 247Sports and is running on BIG school sites like Nebraska. The California Regents are controlled by UCal graduates and they don't like being left out. I didn't see anything about the People's Republic of Norman getting an invite to the BIG but there is plenty of talk about the whorns. I thought there was less than a 10% chance of this happening but its apparent Phil Knight is very involved.
Are people really thinking texas goes to the BIG and ditches the sec? I have not heard anything legit, but definitely interesting. The reaction from the sec would be hilarious. “But, but, but, we’re the sec, how could anyone turn us down”

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Are people really thinking texas goes to the BIG and ditches the sec? I have not heard anything legit, but definitely interesting. The reaction from the sec would be hilarious. “But, but, but, we’re the sec, how could anyone turn us down”
It was in the Nebraska article, which I found fascinating as much as they hate all things whorns

Oct 29, 2016
US
We all should really hope that OSU is proactively exploring a move to the Big 10. If not, I'm afraid OSU will be stuck in what will be a terribly weak conference. I don't care who's been ranked.. the incoming teams are an absolute disaster for the future of OSU and its relevancy. Things are not ok. If OSU is content with the new Big 12, yikes. I would question the sanity of those calling the shots at OSU. This entire situation is full-steam ahead into irrelevancy. It's just sad. It's a Big-time bummer.

The new Big 12 = Conference USA 2.0

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City
We all should really hope that OSU is proactively exploring a move to the Big 10. If not, I'm afraid OSU will be stuck in what will be a terribly weak conference. I don't care who's been ranked.. the incoming teams are an absolute disaster for the future of OSU and its relevancy. Things are not ok. If OSU is content with the new Big 12, yikes. I would question the sanity of those calling the shots at OSU. This entire situation is full-steam ahead into irrelevancy. It's just sad. It's a Big-time bummer.

I agree with this. I just don’t see how OSU can force their way into BIG/SEC. There’s just not enough money, power, or pull to do something like that. Look at the schools that recently have moved to either of those conferences. They all have huge fan bases and tons of money.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

We can’t. There already is “The OSU” in the conference.

SEC for us and we copyright our name to “The Other OSU”.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Key quote from Yormark regarding expansion; additional conference members "would have to be additive, not dilutive", i.e. new members would have to generate enough additional tv $ to cover their share of the new conference contract.
How many universities are available who fit that profile? Obviously none are going to leave the B1G or SEC. And the ACC GOR has those teams unavailable.