Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Oregon, Washington and Utah are no brainers to me. If football is the only thing that matters (it is), I still think Boise State would be a better add as a 4th team than any of the remaining PAC teams, it's on par television viewers wise with Arizona State and Stanford and gets more viewers than Arizona, Cal, Washington State and Oregon State and is a better known and more respected football brand than any of those schools
I'm beginning to agree with you

Sep 9, 2013
Exactly. When was the last time this game meant anything to someone outside of Morgantown and Pittsburgh?

ESPN. The organization who writes the checks.

they wouldnt have paid WVU and Pitt to move the game to thursday night and wouldnt be hosting college gameday there to kick off the season if "nobody" cared about the game.

you may recall OU Texas tech, and a few others wanted Louisville rather than WVU, but Fox and ESPN told the big 12 if they wanted to keep the same money after losing the aggies and mizzou, they had to add WVU.

I think ESPN and Fox have more influence on realignment than most here realize. That may change with apple and Amazon entering the arena.

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City

they wouldnt have paid WVU and Pitt to move the game to thursday night and wouldnt be hosting college gameday there to kick off the season if "nobody" cared about the game.

you may recall OU Texas tech, and a few others wanted Louisville rather than WVU, but Fox and ESPN told the big 12 if they wanted to keep the same money after losing the aggies and mizzou, they had to add WVU.

I think ESPN and Fox are the drivers of realignment. That may change with apple and Amazon entering the arena.
FIFY

Dec 19, 2012
I think a lot of people get hung up on viewership, it's quite complicated. TV viewership is so variable, it's hard to predict.
You have to compare apples to apples with:
Prime time Network vs streaming
How good a team is (which changes overtime)
Brand recognition
TV Market
Relevance of the game (conference title or national title)
How close a game is

Example: OSU plays Vanderbilt out of conference- no one cares.
OSU plays Bama, both are top 5 ranked, viewership sky rockets.
Look at Baylor vs OSU in regular season compared to the Big XII Championship, with a close game, and potential playoff ramifications.

Last edited:

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Oregon, Washington and Utah are no brainers to me. If football is the only thing that matters (it is), I still think Boise State would be a better add as a 4th team than any of the remaining PAC teams, it's on par television viewers wise with Arizona State and Stanford and gets more viewers than Arizona, Cal, Washington State and Oregon State and is a better known and more respected football brand than any of those schools
I agree except the Boise State support. I would still go with ASU. ASU has a lot more upside.

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona just needs a good coach. RROD won his division there, and beat Oregon a couple of times, as well as scoring like 55 points on Oklahoma State.

WVU hasnt had the same success since RROD left. as gundy and matt Campbell have shown, it's all about coaching.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite

I think ESPN and Fox have more influence on realignment than most here realize. That may change with apple and Amazon entering the arena.
It was widely reported that David Boren stopped Louisville from joining the conference.

And the real College Gameday show will be in Columbus, OH on Saturday for Ohio State-Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2006

ESPN knows what it is doing when it moves games. Moving a game from Saturday to Thursday means they think it would have performed poorly on Saturday against the other games being played in available time slots. Weeknight games are attempts to get more eyeballs on a game that wouldn't get them otherwise. That's not a shot at WVU/Pitt. OSU has had plenty of weeknight games for the same reason.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Arizona just needs a good coach. RROD won his division there, and beat Oregon a couple of times, as well as scoring like 55 points on Oklahoma State.

WVU hasnt had the same success since RROD left. as gundy and matt Campbell have shown, it's all about coaching.
PAC refs played a role in that game, called 15 penalties against OSU vs 4 for Zona. 3 Ints didn’t help us but those refs weren’t going to let us win. They thre 3 flags against one of our DL on a play where, after a sack, the Zona QB jumped on our guys back as he was standing up and he shook him off…on of the worst officiating jobs I have ever seen.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

Rich Rod was not a good coach…

He was fired from Michigan… Rodriguez has the lowest winning percentage (.405) of any coach in Michigan football's history.

He was fired from UA for being a perv, but his record was pretty foul too, 43-35, in the pac 12…

By the way, that’s a weird flex. Your team drops 7 in a row to the pokes and you try to make a subtle dig by talking about how many points a former coach put on us 10 years ago…. Like it gives you street cred.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Rich Rod was not a good coach…

He was fired from Michigan… Rodriguez has the lowest winning percentage (.405) of any coach in Michigan football's history.

He was fired from UA for being a perv, but his record was pretty foul too, 43-35, in the pac 12…

By the way, that’s a weird flex. Your team drops 7 in a row to the pokes and you try to make a subtle dig by talking about how many points a former coach put on us 10 years ago…. Like it gives you street cred.
Hey now, you're talking about a dude that won the PAC 12 South here.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Radio was saying total (Fox,CBS,NBC & Streaming) media deal for BIG is being rumored at $1.25B/yr for approx 8 years

Sep 9, 2013
RROD was a good coach at WVU, he had WVU in the top 10 3 straight years and in top 5 two of those years.

and WVU was beating Auburn, miss state, and other good teams ooc.

The problem RROD had was he couldnt keep his pants zipped, even though married. there were always rumors of him and this cheerleader or that.

Michigan needed a complete gutting for RROD to run his offense there. They had an NFL dropback qb, and RROD told him to hit the road.

He wanted a read option qb, and got one. but he had no parts there to run his offense. he wanted smaller fast linemen, michigan had huge guys.

He struggled, but they fired him after 3 years. Michigan had a great year in year 4 with a subpar coach and RROD's players.

I blame michigan for RROD's failure there. He needed 4 years, they gave him 3. i mean if they wanted faster success, they shouldnt have hired a coach who was going to gut their roster and build a new one.

I disagree that he sucked at arz. He won, and won big at times, at a place not known for much success in the past 25 years.

yeah, he won the PAC south, has arz done it since? He beat oregon twice, has arz done it since.

But his failure to keep his pants zipped did him in again. In that since, he wasnt a good overall coach. His read option offense though, was a sight to behold when he had the right players.

i mean WVU put 38 on UGA, the SEC Champion, and beat rutgers 80-0. WVU had an offense in those days.