Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 19, 2012
AZ does not "bring" the Phoenix or Tucson markets. Their tv viewship is almost exactly the same as the University of Tulsa. There is a difference between being near certain large cities and bringing viewers from those cities. I don't get the love for AZ - they would be at the bottom of my list of PAC candidates.
The TV folks seem to be saying otherwise. I tend to agree with you though. It's why Okstate is actually valuable too. We carry two decent markets in both Tulsa and OKC. We don't have value to the SEC because they get that with OU already. BIG ain't gonna invite because of our academics, so we better hope Yormack is as smart and creative as they say.

@CPTNQUIRK I agree with the first part, but AZ is no doubt a basketball blue blood.

What are y'all's thoughts on Big XII reaching out to MN? Seems odd to me, but it's the markets they bring.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I had not heard that the B12 was reaching out to MN. If true, not sure why--wouldn't think MN would move the needle at all.
I can see value in adding a team in the upper Midwest, but I'd never see any team leaving the B1G voluntarily. I'd be surprised if the B12 had reached out, more surprised if Minny answered the phone.

Mar 8, 2010
If anyone leaves the Big Ten for the Big XII it will be Nebraska but that will never happen because of the payout. Nebraska would love to come back but it makes no sense from a money standpoint. The Minnesota discussion is something out of the twilight zone!

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Dec 19, 2012
If anyone leaves the Big Ten for the Big XII it will be Nebraska but that will never happen because of the payout. Nebraska would love to come back but it makes no sense from a money standpoint. The Minnesota discussion is something out of the twilight zone!
I agree with the Nebraska thought. Money would have to be close or pressure from Big Ten to leave due to AAU status. They were a lot better when they played in and could recruit Texas better.
Texas A&M is pissed Texas followed them and would give it a thought of leaving if Big XII was close in money, and Missouri would too.

:lol: Best joke I’ve read today. Maybe you should read this article and reconsider your stance.
https://thesportsgrail.com/college-basketball-blue-bloods-definition-and-meaning-explained/
I mean, a random article doesn't sway me. I did look up their titles and final fours and was surprised by the one title and 4 final fours. So, I do change my stance based on that. I thought they had 4 titles and 8 final fours, pretty crazy to me how big AZ basketball is and their perception given their lack of success.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
You're forgetting that there are teams/schools that fully believe they are playing musical chairs and teams like Oregon and Washington have dibs on a seat. As an OSU fan I don't think i'd be thrilled to sit around in the hopes that Oregon and Washington didn't get the B1G invite to just stay on a ship with no rudder. Also Colorado has a history of looking out for themselves in these situations already.
I’m not forgetting anything. I just don’t anything is gonna happen until there is a go or no from Notre Dame. No power program, Oregon or Oklahoma state is about to lock themselves into a GOR until they know what the SEC and Big are doing.No need to rush into anything.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
The TV folks seem to be saying otherwise. I tend to agree with you though. It's why Okstate is actually valuable too. We carry two decent markets in both Tulsa and OKC. We don't have value to the SEC because they get that with OU already. BIG ain't gonna invite because of our academics, so we better hope Yormack is as smart and creative as they say.

@CPTNQUIRK I agree with the first part, but AZ is no doubt a basketball blue blood.

What are y'all's thoughts on Big XII reaching out to MN? Seems odd to me, but it's the markets they bring.
Assume you mean TV "talking heads", because the tv people negotiating contracts know viewership numbers and AZ doesn't have them. I don't know of any reason they would think AZ would suddenly have more viewers in the Big 12 than they have had in the PAC. The one thing I could see it do is put Big 12 conference instead of Pac 12 football on tv screens in the Phoenix and Tucson markets - so they would have to assume Big 12 in general would draw more tv viewers than Pac 12 has. You run the risk that the markets are just not as interested in college football no matter what conference, and I think based on demographics that may be the case.

See the attached rankings by viewership. Colorado comes in at 64th (366 thousand per televised game), and Arizona comes in at 67th (337 thousand), two slots behind Tulsa. Not only would these teams not positively move the needle for a tv deal, they would probably hurt. For reference, OSU was 22nd at 1.6 million per game. Geography doesn't matter. Location near a metropolitan area relates only if it would translate in to a lot of tv viewers, and that is not always the case.

Which college football programs were the most-watched in 2021? | by Zach Miller | Run It Back With Zach | Medium

Dec 19, 2012
Assume you mean TV "talking heads", because the tv people negotiating contracts know viewership numbers and AZ doesn't have them. I don't know of any reason they would think AZ would suddenly have more viewers in the Big 12 than they have had in the PAC. The one thing I could see it do is put Big 12 conference instead of Pac 12 football on tv screens in the Phoenix and Tucson markets - so they would have to assume Big 12 in general would draw more tv viewers than Pac 12 has. You run the risk that the markets are just not as interested in college football no matter what conference, and I think based on demographics that may be the case.

See the attached rankings by viewership. Colorado comes in at 64th (366 thousand per televised game), and Arizona comes in at 67th (337 thousand), two slots behind Tulsa. Not only would these teams not positively move the needle for a tv deal, they would probably hurt. For reference, OSU was 22nd at 1.6 million per game. Geography doesn't matter. Location near a metropolitan area relates only if it would translate in to a lot of tv viewers, and that is not always the case.

Which college football programs were the most-watched in 2021? | by Zach Miller | Run It Back With Zach | Medium
It's a blend. The ideal candidate has amazing popularity/big known brand/viewership and brings big TV market additions too, but there aren't many of those left and Big XII is behind BIG and SEC are first in order.

Just look at the Big Ten- they added Rutgers and Maryland for TV markets only, not because they were good programs with good viewership.

Several people have reported that an AZ school and CU move the needle in value per team. I think both AZ schools and Utah plus CU barely do though. Because of the duplicating TV markets.

Sep 9, 2013
I think adding rivalry games will draw eyeballs.
Pitt has a great market, but few fans that actually attend games.
BUT, the backyard brawl, which is a home game for Pitt sold out(NFL stadium) in 15 minutes of tickets going on sale.

I also think the tv numbers will be good, but we'll know soon.

That's why I think adding utah for the byu rivalry would worthwhile.
who does CU have a rivalry game with?

if we took just 2, i think arz and utah. utah also has a lot of fans and is respected in football, unlike the other 3.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
BUT, the backyard brawl, which is a home game for Pitt sold out(NFL stadium) in 15 minutes of tickets going on sale.

if we took just 2, i think arz and utah. utah also has a lot of fans and is respected in football, unlike the other 3.
Don't think you pull a pair of teams for a single game every year.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma

I’ve asked it before. Why Az? ASU gets more viewers And wins more games.

Mar 8, 2010
The only good thing about ASU is that their alumni base is gigantic. So the potential there is huge if they ever became a power. But that’s a big if.
ASU actually was s football power back in the days of Frank Kush in the old WAC but could never get invited to a bowl game because of the stigma associated with that conference. That’s why the Fiesta Bowl was created to give WAC teams bowl exposure and for the first several years the WAC champion hosted it with an invitation going to the best team that didn’t make it to a New Years Day Bowl. BYU, also a member of the WAC, suffered from the same disrespect of the media and the year they won the WAC beat Michigan in the Fiesta to catapult themselves to the NC. ASU was the beast of the dessert under Kush. I remember one year we opened with them in Tempe when Playboy Magazine had them ranked number 1 in their preseason edition and a Pat Jones coached team upset them which began a pretty good era for us. They were so good back then that the PAC 8 wanted them badly and invited them along with their little brother Arizona as a package deal. Arizona would have never been invited had it not been for ASU. So they do have some pretty impressive football history, but haven’t done much since Kush left. They definitely have have potential just like the Nebraskas, Tennessees, FSUs, etc. and are a much better get than Arizona. They just need to make a good HC hire.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas

Here we go again. Add Pitt for one regionally meaningful rivalry game with a 'name'!?! The backwoods brawl is no Ohio St-Mich. Adding Pitt made sense back when the Big XII had a chance and was looking at WV, but makes no sense now given other options that may open up.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
Here we go again. Add Pitt for one regionally meaningful rivalry game with a 'name'!?! The backwoods brawl is no Ohio St-Mich. Adding Pitt made sense back when the Big XII had a chance and was looking at WV, but makes no sense now given other options that may open up.
Exactly. When was the last time this game meant anything to someone outside of Morgantown and Pittsburgh?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2014

Oregon, Washington and Utah are no brainers to me. If football is the only thing that matters (it is), I still think Boise State would be a better add as a 4th team than any of the remaining PAC teams, it's on par television viewers wise with Arizona State and Stanford and gets more viewers than Arizona, Cal, Washington State and Oregon State and is a better known and more respected football brand than any of those schools