Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Talk has really dried up recently. That either means nothing is happening or a LOT is happening. We shall see. It seems as though most in the PAC want to wait and see what actually comes of taking their rights to market. Theoretically the exclusive window for ESPN and FOX is up.
I doubt nothing is happening. If i had to guess there are things working behind closed doors and between very few people. Everyone knows the PAC12 is not going to get much in terms of money after USC and UCLA move on and their G5 options to add or far below what the Big 12 was able to add after UT and OU announced they were leaving. 'Open for business' wasn't just a cute slogan IMO.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Talk has really dried up recently. That either means nothing is happening or a LOT is happening. We shall see. It seems as though most in the PAC want to wait and see what actually comes of taking their rights to market. Theoretically the exclusive window for ESPN and FOX is up.
listened to an interview with PAC commish and that seems to be his point, get firm numbers then sell the squishy members that the PAC has hard numbers while the B12 has a guesstimate

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Not to pat myself on the back but I remember saying a while back that I don't expect anything to happen until another shoe drops with the Big10 and ND which could cause a domino effect.

Until that happens there will be no movement. Why rush? Oregon, Washington, and Stanford will not sign a GOR in the Pac12 or Big12 if they think there is a chance to join the Big10. Other Pac12 teams will not deflect until they see what those schools are doing. The option to stay in the Pac12 or join the Big12 is there now, it will be there 3,6,9 months from now. Rushing into a conference could cost a program 100s of millions of dollars if the dominos fall and they are locked into a GOR. Oregon sees the situation that Clemson and FSU are in and want no part of that if a chance to join the Big10/SEC is on the line.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Not to pat myself on the back but I remember saying a while back that I don't expect anything to happen until another shoe drops with the Big10 and ND which could cause a domino effect.

Until that happens there will be no movement. Why rush? Oregon, Washington, and Stanford will not sign a GOR in the Pac12 or Big12 if they think there is a chance to join the Big10. Other Pac12 teams will not deflect until they see what those schools are doing. The option to stay in the Pac12 or join the Big12 is there now, it will be there 3,6,9 months from now. Rushing into a conference could cost a program 100s of millions of dollars if the dominos fall and they are locked into a GOR. Oregon sees the situation that Clemson and FSU are in and want no part of that if a chance to join the Big10/SEC is on the line.
You're forgetting that there are teams/schools that fully believe they are playing musical chairs and teams like Oregon and Washington have dibs on a seat. As an OSU fan I don't think i'd be thrilled to sit around in the hopes that Oregon and Washington didn't get the B1G invite to just stay on a ship with no rudder. Also Colorado has a history of looking out for themselves in these situations already.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
I have a feeling Notre Dame is about to join the Big Ten and the Big Ten will grab Stanford to join them. Maybe Oregon and Washington. I don't see Cal getting pulled in even if Gov. Newsom tries. I don't think Kevin Warren cares about California state politics.

My question is, is Stanford leaving with Notre Dame enough to cause some of the four corner schools to join the Big 12? Or does the Big 12 need Washington and Oregon to be invited as well to fully implode the conference?

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I have a feeling Notre Dame is about to join the Big Ten and the Big Ten will grab Stanford to join them. Maybe Oregon and Washington. I don't see Cal getting pulled in even if Gov. Newsom tries. I don't think Kevin Warren cares about California state politics.

My question is, is Stanford leaving with Notre Dame enough to cause some of the four corner schools to join the Big 12? Or does the Big 12 need Washington and Oregon to be invited as well to fully implode the conference?
I can't imagine if they lose a 3rd team that the others wouldn't start heading for the exits. Especially if they did have options.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK

If they lose Stanford only it is iffy. If they lost Stanford, Oregon, and Washington it would be over. The Big 12 will get to pick who they want. The rest (Cal, OrSU, and WSU) will go to the Mountain West most likely.

My ideal situation is that ND says no thanks, but the PAC is still unstable enough for the Big 12 to snap up Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Arizona. That might be too much to ask though. If ND and Stanford go to the B1G, but they stop there that could be enough to land Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Utah/Colorado.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX

I don't think ND goes to the B1G--they've got too much power and leverage as it is; I think they'll remain independent. Beyond that, who knows.

Nov 29, 2021
Amarillo Texas
I don't think ND goes to the B1G--they've got too much power and leverage as it is; I think they'll remain independent. Beyond that, who knows.
NBC will pay them enough to keep them independent. Think about it: Even if NBC pays ND $100 mil, it is getting a national audience with Notre Dame, 3 hours every Saturday, for 1/10 of the price (or less) of paying for an entire conference, comprised mostly of teams a national audience doesn't care about - Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, etc. A comparative bargain. ND isn't joining a conference. Ever.

Aug 17, 2006
Dan Patrick said yesterday he has heard that NBC will bid on the B1G with the intent to leverage B1G + Notre Dame while allowing ND to remain independent. He also mentioned the possibility of NBC rolling out B1G/NFL double headers on some Saturdays and Sundays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhgNocOPksE

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
If they lose Stanford only it is iffy. If they lost Stanford, Oregon, and Washington it would be over. The Big 12 will get to pick who they want. The rest (Cal, OrSU, and WSU) will go to the Mountain West most likely.

My ideal situation is that ND says no thanks, but the PAC is still unstable enough for the Big 12 to snap up Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Arizona. That might be too much to ask though. If ND and Stanford go to the B1G, but they stop there that could be enough to land Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Utah/Colorado.
Why would you want Arizona over ASU? Look at their stats.
1656F29C-C614-49BB-A117-0C745B84809E.jpg

Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
NBC will pay them enough to keep them independent. Think about it: Even if NBC pays ND $100 mil, it is getting a national audience with Notre Dame, 3 hours every Saturday, for 1/10 of the price (or less) of paying for an entire conference, comprised mostly of teams a national audience doesn't care about - Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, etc. A comparative bargain. ND isn't joining a conference. Ever.
They only get home games. They are getting like 7 games a year max.

Dec 19, 2012
It's a crap shoot, and the PAC is waiting for all TV offers, Big XII has a longer wait until 2025 renewal. It would seem everyone can wait a bit, but the PAC schools need to think twice and go while they can before the ACC explodes, only 8 schools needed and BIG, SEC, and Big XII would eat those easily.

Even if PAC numbers are similar, the BIG may have too big of a financial need for additions of WA and OR or they would already be there. ND hates the BIG and doesn't want to play SEC schools. Thus, the perfect storm for the Big XII.

My Predictions:
1. ND doesn't join BIG
2. BIG doesn't take any other PAC schools
3. PAC schools realize they will make significantly more in Big XII with best schools leaving and ND partnership (around double)
4. Before 2025 season Big XII adds AZ, CU, OR, WA and an ND scheduling agreement (possibly Stanford too)
5. Big XII pulls $70-75 mil/school
6. ACC schools can't take pay gap after Big XII expansion and 8+ schools seek way out as a pact.
7. SEC gets FSU/Clemson BIG gets UNC/VA/GA Tech/PITT Big XII gets NC State/Va Tech/Louisville/Miami
(Although I could see FSU and Clemson joining Big XII if money is similar with them)
8. ND enjoys scheduling alliance and new Big XII and still hates BIG and SEC and joins Big XII for more money.
9. Three super conferences.
10. 16 team playoff

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City
It's a crap shoot, and the PAC is waiting for all TV offers, Big XII has a longer wait until 2025 renewal. It would seem everyone can wait a bit, but the PAC schools need to think twice and go while they can before the ACC explodes, only 8 schools needed and BIG, SEC, and Big XII would eat those easily.

Even if PAC numbers are similar, the BIG may have too big of a financial need for additions of WA and OR or they would already be there. ND hates the BIG and doesn't want to play SEC schools. Thus, the perfect storm for the Big XII.

My Predictions:
1. ND doesn't join BIG
3. PAC schools realize they will make significantly more in Big XII with best schools leaving and ND partnership (around double)
4. Before 2025 season Big XII adds AZ, CU, OR, WA and an ND scheduling agreement (possibly Stanford too)
6. ACC schools can't take pay gap after Big XII expansion and 8+ schools seek way out as a pact.
7. SEC gets FSU/Clemson BIG gets UNC/VA/GA Tech/PITT Big XII gets NC State/Va Tech/Louisville/Miami
(Although I could see FSU and Clemson joining Big XII if money is similar with them)
8. ND enjoys scheduling alliance and new Big XII and still hates BIG and SEC and joins Big XII for more money.
10. 16 team playoff
LOL, good one

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006

My Predictions:
1. ND doesn't join BIG
10. 16 team playoff
See my graphic above. Why would you take Arizona over Arizona State? It makes no sense.

Dec 19, 2012
See my graphic above. Why would you take Arizona over Arizona State? It makes no sense.
Several reasons:
1. AZ is more interested.
2. AZ brings the PHX market plus the Tucson market
3. AZ basketball Rev might be worth it (still haven't seen good rev numbers for bball)

With that said, I actually like ASU better. From what I've seen, things are leaning AZ, and ASU does duplicate the same market. There is a chance we take both too.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Several reasons:
3. AZ basketball Rev might be worth it (still haven't seen good rev numbers for bball)

With that said, I actually like ASU better. From what I've seen, things are leaning AZ, and ASU does duplicate the same market. There is a chance we take both too.
AZ does not "bring" the Phoenix or Tucson markets. Their tv viewship is almost exactly the same as the University of Tulsa. There is a difference between being near certain large cities and bringing viewers from those cities. I don't get the love for AZ - they would be at the bottom of my list of PAC candidates.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
Several reasons:

Az is more interested because they are more desperate.
ASU is in the Phoenix market footprint and will have a lot more fans than Az.
Basketball is not pushing realignment unless a team is a blueblood like Duke or Kansas.