Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
You're trying to sell a pipedream here.
Possibly. But teams like Alabama who are in a city of 200k, in a lowly populated state, who have another major university in the state (Auburn) are wildly popular nationwide because they win a lot. Not saying we could necessarily get to that level of value but I don't see the point in not aiming for that level of success.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I never watched Boise State or TCU (when in Mountain West) just because they won a bunch of games.
Not sure fans will switch like you are suggesting.
Guess I'm "odd".

Because I'd much rather watch a Boise State or TCU or UCF type team (when they are/were winning)... than two SEC/B1G bluebloods play uninspiring, unimaginative, boringa$$ football to another 6-3 score.

Unless I need a nap. Then I'll consider a blueblood snoozefest-o-rama.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Possibly. But teams like Alabama who are in a city of 200k, in a lowly populated state, who have another major university in the state (Auburn) are wildly popular nationwide because they win a lot. Not saying we could necessarily get to that level of value but I don't see the point in not aiming for that level of success.
So....teams could likely walk away from tens of millions per year because of a few extra losses each season, then their fans will turn on them and become OSU fans if we keep winning in a less competitive league.

Got it.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
So....teams could likely walk away from tens of millions per year because of a few extra losses each season, then their fans will turn on them and become OSU fans if we keep winning in a less competitive league.

Got it.
No....Teams like OSU, BYU and Baylor etc could increase their value so much by winning and making the playoffs gaining a larger share of the casual (t-shirt) fans that the money becomes more or less equal. So not walking away from additional money potentially. The fans would not 'turn' on them they would just claim another team as you see so often with casual fans.

Also i'm not sure fans will care about a mediocre team in a 'competitive' league either. Though i do recall the Big 12 dominated in bowl games this last season.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
No....Teams like OSU, BYU and Baylor etc could increase their value so much by winning and making the playoffs gaining a larger share of the casual (t-shirt) fans that the money becomes more or less equal. So not walking away from additional money potentially. The fans would not 'turn' on them they would just claim another team as you see so often with casual fans.

Also i'm not sure fans will care about a mediocre team in a 'competitive' league either. Though i do recall the Big 12 dominated in bowl games this last season.
I'm sure you're right, being middle of the road is killing Tennessee right now.

1659554230276.png

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor

I do remember when KSU started winning and other teams were down there started being lots more purple shirts in Oklahoma. If you don't win you're not relevant.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I think this thing is going to pendulum back pretty hard eventually. Lets say the SEC and B1G get all the blue bloods right? Well why and or how would a team be considered a 'blue blood' if they never win anymore and aren't even really competitive? Looking at Clemson, FSU, OU, Texas, UCLA, USC, Auburn etc etc etc. I think its pretty obvious that Nebraska has lost 'blue blood' status being in the B1G and will likely only fall further to obscurity in the future. Knowing that, I could see several of the non competitive 'blue bloods' eventually looking for an exit back to their old conferences or regions where they could likely and in their mind hopefully become consistent winners again. Of course they won't admit that the reason is to become relevant again but a decade or so of not even sniffing a championship in football may make the money a non factor, especially for those teams already leading the revenue race like Texas.
No offense to you because I think you mean well, but I hate this logic. If you think UT and OU are going to get pummeled in the SEC. Then what are you saying about the Big12?

FWIW, Nebraska was on a downward spiral before they left the Big 12. In fact, they won more games in the first 4 years in the Big10 than they did in the last 4 of the Big12. Nebraska’s failures are self-inflicted an not due to conference alignment.

Aug 26, 2004
I do remember when KSU started winning and other teams were down there started being lots more purple shirts in Oklahoma. If you don't win you're not relevant.
And then there is Slippery Rock. We were able to get the scores reported on the news on a weekly basis BEFORE the internet.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
Winning obviously means more fans. It’s really about winning the younger fans or those that are casual watchers of CFB.

Want proof? OSU’s football twitter account started last season with about 151k followers. Today, they have 175k followers. A gain of 24k followers after one successful season of being nationally relevant. The previous year, the twitter account only grew from 146k to 151k. A gain of only 5k after a mediocre season. Winning big matters.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
No offense to you because I think you mean well, but I hate this logic. If you think UT and OU are going to get pummeled in the SEC. Then what are you saying about the Big12?

FWIW, Nebraska was on a downward spiral before they left the Big 12. In fact, they won more games in the first 4 years in the Big10 than they did in the last 4 of the Big12. Nebraska’s failures are self-inflicted an not due to conference alignment.
Texas is getting pummeled in the Big 12 (note losing to Kansas at home) so I don't expect that to change. I also believe OU is at the start of a downward spiral as well. They have lucked into NFL quality QBs the last decade (Including last year with Caleb Williams IMO) and now are going to rely on a brand new defensive minded coach and a transfer QB who it could be argued was running away from competition at UCF since the guy who came in after his injury played just as good as he did.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Texas is getting pummeled in the Big 12 (note losing to Kansas at home) so I don't expect that to change. I also believe OU is at the start of a downward spiral as well. They have lucked into NFL quality QBs the last decade (Including last year with Caleb Williams IMO) and now are going to rely on a brand new defensive minded coach and a transfer QB who it could be argued was running away from competition at UCF since the guy who came in after his injury played just as good as he did.
With OU my question is going to be Venables. Even for bluebloods it's hard to hit a home run hire three times in a row.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I definitely lean towards Venables having success. Bob did a pretty spectacular job of righting the ship in a very risky situation. We will see what happens, but I'm optimistic for OU. I just hope we give them a proper send off and beat their ass anytime we face them.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Talk has really dried up recently. That either means nothing is happening or a LOT is happening. We shall see. It seems as though most in the PAC want to wait and see what actually comes of taking their rights to market. Theoretically the exclusive window for ESPN and FOX is up.