Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Can we stop the pissing contest about who know more about the legal system. Private message each other if you want to get that deep into it.
You don't like my posts or think they violate the rules of the forum, feel free to report them.

Alternatively, you could, you know....just not read them.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
There is also a really cool 'ignore' button that won't show your comments either. I've used it on several folks :)
Excellent point fellow Cowboy.

I too am a fan of the ignore button though I will confess to too often hitting that "see ignored content" link because my curiosity gets to be too much for me to handle.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
There is also a really cool 'ignore' button that won't show your comments either. I've used it on several folks :)
I have never used the ignore button. I just don't take anybody on this board, including myself, that seriously. We're just a bunch of people interested in OSU sports and some assorted hangers-on (no offense Nolaeer).

Sep 9, 2013
Can you cite any legal authority for "thinking" that the length of a contract makes in vulnerable as against public policy. I'm not talking about the rule of perpetuities, but rather a contract of the type of length of this one violates public policy solely as a result of its length?

Any pre-emptive lawsuit in Florida state courts by FSU and Miami would immediately see a Motion for Removal to Federal Court which would be decided by the Federal courts. You're suggesting that Florida judges would rubber-stamp a lawsuit in a pre-determined manner because they are elected. That's the very reason we have the ability to remove things to federal court if that court has jurisdiction.

Last post on legal bs. I think you're too caught up on who would win if the case went to trial. None of these cases go to trial. Legal allegations are made so that payment of damages can be delayed.

delay and enormous litigation expenses favor the deep pocket. I dont know about you, but i filed several cases I knew had no shot at trial, but knew the expenses of discovery, massive discovery requests, coupled with a stoppage of payments, would drive a settlement on more favorable terms.

The maryland case said the contract was invalid due to anti trust issues.

antitrust isnt something i ever did, but id like my argument that a public university cant be tied to a sinking ship bc they signed a bad contract.

i assume you agree that if FSU granted the ACC its media rights forever, that wouldnt be enforced. At some point it violates public policy to limit a public schools free market options. that impacts florida taxpayers.

anyway, im not making any claim to be smarter or know more than anyone else, im just stating why i think the BIG, if it really wants a school, isnt going to be scared off by litigation.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The contract with ESPN might be null and void, but the GOR still stands. The GOR is between the schools and the conference. The ESPN contract is between the conference and the network.
Obviously... But the value of the renegotiated contract COULD be contingent on the actions of the remaining members and how that aligns with the goals of all stakeholders.

The main thing I'm getting at is that people are acting like the GOR is like the 10 commandments, etched in stone and non-negotiable.... If I have learned something in my short time on earth, its that everything is negotiables, its just what are you willing to give...

Apparently, we're willing to trade a terrorist that sold anti-aircraft weaponry to target US aircraft for a WNBA Player... but that's a topic for another thread.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Last post on legal bs.
Last response to legal bs posts if this is truly your last post on legal bs

I think you're too caught up on who would win if the case went to trial.
Actually, you're the one that started with you envisioning how Miami and FSU could win such cases if they just filed in Florida state court. I was merely responding to those contentions. I am no more wrapped up in predicting who would win if the case went to trial than your statement that Miami and FSU could win a case by doing XYZ. None of my statements went one step beyond addressing your contentions directly.

None of these cases go to trial. Legal allegations are made so that payment of damages can be delayed.

delay and enormous litigation expenses favor the deep pocket. I dont know about you, but i filed several cases I knew had no shot at trial, but knew the expenses of discovery, massive discovery requests, coupled with a stoppage of payments, would drive a settlement on more favorable terms.
I completely understand the notion of vexatious and specious litigation to accomplish other goals of settlement on more favorable terms. I know that almost all litigation results in settlement.

I certainly hope when you say you have filed several cases that you had no shot at trial, you don't actually mean that you filed lawsuits which you knew had no good faith foundation in the law because that sounds a whole lot like an ethical violation where I come from. And no, I never filed a lawsuit or criminal charges that i knew I had no shot of winning at trial....slim chance, yeah....but not no shot.

The maryland case said the contract was invalid due to anti trust issues.

antitrust isnt something i ever did, but id like my argument that a public university cant be tied to a sinking ship bc they signed a bad contract.
Maryland's lawsuit claimed that it was a violation of anti-trust laws.....but not because of the terms of the agreement or anything like that, but rather because the ACC members voted as a conference to increase the liquidated damages clause after the contract had been signed and after they knew Maryland wanted to leave.

I understand you're real proud and like your argument that "a public university can't be tied to a sinking ship bc they signed a bad contract". Me asking you to provide some actual relevant legal authority supporting this argument you like so much is what led to where we are now. I still haven't seen that, but whatever....I hear this is the last "legal bs" post.

Maryland lost their anti-trust argument in Maryland court, btw. Dismissed by the court pre-trial litigation.

i assume you agree that if FSU granted the ACC its media rights forever, that wouldnt be enforced.
Sure, I'm the one that mentioned the rule of perpetuities.

At some point it violates public policy to limit a public schools free market options. that impacts florida taxpayers.
You keep claiming this to be the case.

I keep asking for citation to authority that absent the rule of perpetuities, engaging in a long term contract entered into as a free market option in year X violates public policy because it turns out not so great for one of the contracting parties less than mid-way through the term of the contract.

You keep liking what IMO is a legally specious argument and avoiding providing any actual legal authority for the argument you like so much.

anyway, im not making any claim to be smarter or know more than anyone else, im just stating why i think the BIG, if it really wants a school, isnt going to be scared off by litigation.
If that's really all you're stating, you sure went about saying that in a oddly round-about way. If that's really all you were saying, I don't disagree that fear of litigation will a be...at most...relatively small impediment to the BIG doing what they want to do.

Good talk, Tulane Law School.

Sincerely,
Sandra Day O'Connor School of Law at Arizona State University.

Jan 1, 2022
Moore
Just gonna add my .2, and say I think we'll see something real soon. When the 1st hits( Monday), it's a new month and I kinda think we'll hear something next week. Soon I see Utah, ASU,UA and as much I'm not happy about em being back, CU, join the Big12. UO,Wash,Cal and Stanford all will eventually join the Big10. That leaves WSu and Org St to join the mountain west or something. Then when ND jumps, it'll all start over again. That's what I'm guessing, now damn can Sept 1st get here soon enough so we can talk something else. Lol

Oct 29, 2016
US
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and bet anyone $1,000 bucks, if you think I'm wrong. Not one PAC-12 team will defect to the Big 12. If it was gonna happen, it would've already happened. It's clear that the Big 12 will unfortunately drop to mid-major status, possibly worse than that, once OU and Texas join the SEC. We're just gonna have to accept our fate. It's not fun, I know. And speculating about raiding other conferences is much more entertaining than accepting the reality of the situation. The reality is that in a few years time the Big 12 will effectively become Conference USA 2.0. Big-time bummer. It is what it is tho.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and bet anyone $1,000 bucks, if you think I'm wrong. Not one PAC-12 team will defect to the Big 12. If it was gonna happen, it would've already happened. It's clear that the Big 12 will unfortunately drop to mid-major status, possibly worse than that, once OU and Texas join the SEC. We're just gonna have to accept our fate. It's not fun, I know. And speculating about raiding other conferences is much more entertaining than accepting the reality of the situation. The reality is that in a few years time the Big 12 will effectively become Conference USA 2.0. Big-time bummer. It is what it is tho.
Spoken like a true troll.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
The PAC 12 Commissioner most likely realizes he will be looking for a job soon so he is engaging in reaction formation of belittling his perceived enemy the Big 12 Commissioner while engaging in superior or snobbish attitude when he is actually weak and very vulnerable.

When there is smoke there is fire so I see Oregon, Wash, Stanford, and Cal joining rank with B1G and Utah, ASU, CO, and UA joining the Big 12 and PAC 12 would now be defunct. Oregon State and WSU end up in Mountain West. It could be announced as soon as next week so changes would happen in 2023 and OU-Texas go to SEC in 2023.

ND stays independent and SEC and ACC remain the same.

Last edited: