Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I think any mention of ACC schools is simply a red herring. There doesn't seem to be any way out of the Grant of Rights for them.
I tend to agree with this. However, I heard someone on a podcast make a great point. That the cards aren’t necessarily in the hands of the ACC.

Contractually, ESPN reserves the right to renegotiate the contract in the event that there is a change to the conference make-up. So it depends on how bad ESPN wants it and what it’s willing to pay.

They could renegotiate the value of the contract contingent on the release of GOR. They could say if you’re willing to allow the release of these schools we will keep the payout per school of the remaining 12 the same. If you’re not, the value of the renegotiated contract would be so low that it would be a financial detriment to the remaining 12 institutions.

Now I know it’s not that simple. A lot of things would have to happen for it to come to that. But it’s an option none the less.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I tend to agree with this. However, I heard someone on a podcast make a great point. That the cards aren’t necessarily in the hands of the ACC.

Contractually, ESPN reserves the right to renegotiate the contract in the event that there is a change to the conference make-up. So it depends on how bad ESPN wants it and what it’s willing to pay.

They could renegotiate the value of the contract contingent on the release of GOR. They could say if you’re willing to allow the release of these schools we will keep the payout per school of the remaining 12 the same. If you’re not, the value of the renegotiated contract would be so low that it would be a financial detriment to the remaining 12 institutions.

Now I know it’s not that simple. A lot of things would have to happen for it to come to that. But it’s an option none the less.
So you are saying that ESPN can throw out the existing contract and refuse to give them anything decent without letting teams out of the GoRs? I very much highly doubt that. I know the ACC sold their soul to ESPN to get that network, but I can't imagine they did that. Even if ESPN could, that would probably be good for the ACC. They are locked into a bad conference and taking their rights to market would probably lead to a much better payout.

Could ESPN potentially entice the conference to let members out? Possibly, but I don't see it happening without some MAJOR concessions of money. Why would any school with an uncertain landing spot vote to make their own conference less valuable? I know the thought process is that schools will just bolt when the GoRs is up, but that is a long way off and a lot can change in a decade. If I was an ACC bottom feeder It would require doubling or even tripling my payout to risk my future by devaluing the conference.

Conclusion, I still think it is 100% in the ACCs hands as pretty much ANYTHING that lets a school out of the GoRs will require a voting majority by the rules of the conference.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I think any mention of ACC schools is simply a red herring. There doesn't seem to be any way out of the Grant of Rights for them. IMHO, It will either be PAC schools or no one. I do however hope that the B1G moving to 20 could somehow push the SEC to take OSU, but I think it unlikely. We very well could be taken by them if it was part of a move with 2-3 top ACC schools, but I can't really see it happening now. SEC just doesn't have any options that add enough value.
Guys like Warren and Sankey are thinking long term, they waited until near the end of GOR and TV deals to approach OU, UT, UCLA and USC. This isn’t about announcing new members in a couple of months for them.

Sirius morning show was talking about an ultimate BIG of 24 teams; 8 ea in East, Central and Western division. 4 team BIG Championship playoff with 3 division champs and 1 at large.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Guys like Warren and Sankey are thinking long term, they waited until near the end of GOR and TV deals to approach OU, UT, UCLA and USC. This isn’t about announcing new members in a couple of months for them.

Sirius morning show was talking about an ultimate BIG of 24 teams; 8 ea in East, Central and Western division. 4 team BIG Championship playoff with 3 division champs and 1 at large.
I agree with this ^^^

Also makes the next several years CRITICAL for OSU in football. We have got to stay near the top of the pack in terms of attendance and eyeballs and wins. If we can do that I can't see how we are left out of a 24 team SEC conference.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I agree with this ^^^

Also makes the next several years CRITICAL for OSU in football. We have got to stay near the top of the pack in terms of attendance and eyeballs and wins. If we can do that I can't see how we are left out of a 24 team SEC conference.
This cannot be stressed enough. It has never been more important for OSU to win. Our long term future could depend on it.

Aug 7, 2006
So you are saying that ESPN can throw out the existing contract and refuse to give them anything decent without letting teams out of the GoRs? I very much highly doubt that. I know the ACC sold their soul to ESPN to get that network, but I can't imagine they did that. Even if ESPN could, that would probably be good for the ACC. They are locked into a bad conference and taking their rights to market would probably lead to a much better payout.

Could ESPN potentially entice the conference to let members out? Possibly, but I don't see it happening without some MAJOR concessions of money. Why would any school with an uncertain landing spot vote to make their own conference less valuable? I know the thought process is that schools will just bolt when the GoRs is up, but that is a long way off and a lot can change in a decade. If I was an ACC bottom feeder It would require doubling or even tripling my payout to risk my future by devaluing the conference.

Conclusion, I still think it is 100% in the ACCs hands as pretty much ANYTHING that lets a school out of the GoRs will require a voting majority by the rules of the conference.
I think there is a scenario out there where enough ACC schools find suitable landing spots and they have enough votes to dissolve the conference. Obviously the BIG 10 and SEC are going to take the schools they want first, so ESPN, FOX and the BIG 12 would have to work together to make it happen. The networks would need to guarantee enough to make it worthwhile for a school like Louisville or Pitt to make the jump to the Big 12 and dissolve the conference. I think it is very likely the Big 12 becomes the "bridge" conference by having content on FOX and ESPN... as well as another network, hopefully.

The relationship between Yormark and Warren is interesting. It appears they are friends or at least they have a business relationship and Warren thinks very highly of our new commissioner. I'm interested to see how that works out in the coming years.

Nov 29, 2021
Amarillo Texas
I would think it would be in the media's best interests not to have all of their ducks in the pocket of the B1G and SEC. A third (or even fourth) wheel could end up being really handy if the other two get the big head and merge.

Sep 9, 2013
im an attorney. graduated tulane law school.

i think the gor through 2036 is unenforceable. not a slam dunk, but i think a florida judge would find tying a university's hands beyond 5 years would violate florida's public policy.

if i were a judge, id rule that. anything beyond 5 years and damages become speculative.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
ND plus some of those schools is the likely value increase they’re looking for. USC paid for UCLA, ND will pay for 1-3 more. If they’re looking at FSU, Miami, etc they may not want more than 1 PAC school with ND.
I don't think Notre Dame will join a conference until they have no other option. I've also read that ND's contract with the ACC prevents them from joining another conference until 2036. Not sure how true that is, or if there is a buyout, etc. Fans say the next dominoes won't fall until ND makes a decision. I think the true lynchpin is the ACC GOR.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK

i think the gor through 2036 is unenforceable. not a slam dunk, but i think a florida judge would find tying a university's hands beyond 5 years would violate florida's public policy.

if i were a judge, id rule that. anything beyond 5 years and damages become speculative.
Even if it is true though, challenging it in court is a pretty massive risk. Something that could stretch out for years right? Is anyone willing to go down that path? Would the SEC or B1G want to be involved in a school going down that path?

PokealypseNow

You Can Dere-Lick My Footballs, Cap-E-Tan
Oct 15, 2008
Gundy's Rattlesnake Hunting Lease
We do have to keep the accelerator on the floor. We need to keep our attendance and viewership up as well.
In fact, I think that's even more important than winning, when it comes to all this realignment mess.

Build the brand.

Winning helps, but it's not just about success on the field in this case.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

I’m in Mensa and hung like an Elephant…OSU is going Independent for $80 large a year. The mullet relates to the southern viewers and is worth $30 on it’s own.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
I agree with this ^^^

Praying we are able to capitalize. It would be such a shame if Baylor sits on top of this conference.

Sep 9, 2013
University attorneys have bene looking at this GOR since the OUT announcement. If this were truly unenforceable, it would have already been challenged.
The GOR is enforceable. it is the length of the ACC's GOR that I think is vulnerable.

And the BIG will take who they want and fight the GOR in court, which is what they did when they took the terps. The BIG paid a 52 million dollar settlement to get the Terps, and i think they'd double that to get their picks of the ACC schools.

The BIG isnt scared of litigation, and the longer it drags out, the less money the ACC has from year to year.

Litigation is expensive, and the BIG has a lot more money than the ACC. There are tons of cases out there that invalidate contracts due to damages being speculative or violative of public policy.

If FSU and miami filed a preemptive lawsuit in Florida, which is exactly how this would play out, seeking a declaratory judgment that the GOR was invalid beyond a 5 year term, i think you would see a hometown judgment in favor of the florida schools. Judges are elected, after all, and there are a lot of seminole fans in florida.