Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I think it really shows the value Kansas actually has, which is funny considering how highly they think of themselves.

Imagine if KU had built upon their 2007 Orange Bowl season. Rather can canning Mangina for being fat and mean, they gave him a budget to recruit with. They made investments to get themselves out of the highschool track and field stadium. They could have built themselves into a legit program.

With their AAU status and basketball program, if they have any resemblance of a football program, they would be in the Big10.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Warren also talked about his friendship with new Big 12 Commissioner Yormark. His comments yesterday were aggressive and certainly add instability to the Pac 12 which is exactly what the Big 12 wants.

My read on the matter is the Big Ten is interested in more Pac 12 schools, but he must sew instability in the Pac 12 to get those schools at a discounted revenue rate. No chance they want to pay the leftovers full shares or they would have done so when they brought in USC/UCLA. Warren's comments in the middle of Pac 12's media negotiations is an absolute power move to diminish their negotiations so much that the leftover schools will do anything to join the Big Ten. If Notre Dame jumps in and I think they will, I wouldn't be surprised if they take OR/WA/Stan at a discounted rate.

Big Ten Commissioner Warren has clearly burned the bridge with the Pac 12 and the avenues of working together in the future are dim. Warren also knows there is value in having a fellow conference partner. The Big 12 is as stable as it gets in college athletics due largely to the fact that the SEC and Big Ten aren't interested in their schools. However, the talent in the Big 12 can compete in any given season with those in the Big Ten. This is valuable to the Big Ten to create non-conference matchups and maybe even establish a new bowl partner in the Rose Bowl as the article alludes to.

I guarantee you Warren is hoping the Big 12 uses the Pac 12's instability to go get the four corner schools that the Big Ten isn't interested in to help him get the ones he wants on clearance.

Note how the B1G's tune has changed since there's been discussion about the ND+Big XII pkg. Think his comments are more of a strong arm play to try and force Notre Dame to the table. ND is who they really want + whomever they can get that makes sense to round them out thereafter.

Unless the B1G and SEC are co-conspirators to essentially break away into 2 conferences and conduct their own playoffs, then this arms race is quickly reaching point of diminished returns based on the number of teams sharing the proverbial pie. Adding a bunch more teams doesn't makes sense unless the aforementioned break away allows B1G/SEC to scale up their potential revenue stream more than currently discussed.

I still maintain the change of tune is about Notre Dame.

Last edited:

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
One more thing @andylicious. I'm not sure us/the Oklahoma Government fighting OU's move would have done much good. If it was both of state schools or nothing the SEC likely would have chosen nothing. It also would have resulted in a LOT more bad blood like there has been between UT and A&M. It is just my own musing, but I think ultimately we could end up in the SEC and have OU (fighting for us internally) to thank for it.
I agree to an extent, I do find it strange that no one ever called them on their process.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Note how the B1G's tune has changed since there's been discussion about the ND+Big XII pkg. Think his comments are more of a strong arm play to try and force Notre Dame to the table. ND is who they really want + whomever they can get that makes sense to round them out thereafter.

Unless the B1G and SEC are co-conspirators to essentially break away into 2 conferences and conduct their own playoffs, then this arms race is quickly reaching point of diminished returns based on the number of teams sharing the proverbial pie. Adding a bunch more teams doesn't makes sense unless the aforementioned break away allows B1G/SEC to scale up their potential revenue stream more than currently discussed.

I still maintain the change of tune is about Notre Dame.
I'm not sure the B1G and SEC want their own playoffs necessarily unless they can each rope in another several teams to get to lets say 24. They would be hard pressed to claim a national title if there are a subset or even just 1 dominant team not included in their current setup. Which they would likely always have that doubt if they try to exclude the nation from the national championship.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
As we move into the 2022 DI football season, I'm curious as to how all the schools are performing as it relates to the grade requirements set by the NCAA. :cool: Oh...I forgot that doesn't really matter anymore in this new semi-pro model.

As I've stated before, the Titanic is sinking and OSU fans are just spectators to those that have a legimate and sustainable lifeboat. Painting the new Big 12 as a contender to the Big 10 and SEC is putting lipstick on the pig. The only way to change my position and outlook of the new Big 12 is by getting at least one automatic bid in an 8 or 12 team playoff selection process...and that bid should be no less than a 4 seed.

Anything less and I'm moving completely to a fan of pro football. Go Chiefs!!!

PistolPete'sMustache

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Nobody is going to stop UCLA from making the move without Cal. It's just posturing from certain politicians to tell the angry ones "hey I tried." Same thing happened in Texas. They even held hearings about Texas' move. Then literally nothing afterwards. I actually kind of appreciate the state legislature here not even attempting the stupid meaningless gesture. OU is the blueblood and wants to make eleventy billion dollars, nobody was going to stop them.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Nobody is going to stop UCLA from making the move without Cal. It's just posturing from certain politicians to tell the angry ones "hey I tried." Same thing happened in Texas. They even held hearings about Texas' move. Then literally nothing afterwards. I actually kind of appreciate the state legislature here not even attempting the stupid meaningless gesture. OU is the blueblood and wants to make eleventy billion dollars, nobody was going to stop them.
Problem is OU already spends five times eleventy billion dollars and has debt continuing to pile up. They aren't looking good on their bottom line no matter what they do.

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona and Utah would be insane to not apply to Big 12.
The BIG has made it clear PAC survival isnt high on their list, and I dont think the big 12 door will stay open after a new tv deal is done.

dont think big 12 should take asu or colo until we see what oregon and wash do.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Arizona and Utah would be insane to not apply to Big 12.
The BIG has made it clear PAC survival isnt high on their list, and I dont think the big 12 door will stay open after a new tv deal is done.

dont think big 12 should take asu or colo until we see what oregon and wash do.
I'd like to try to hold off as long as possible to try to rope in ACC schools once it gets ravaged. Would be nice to have more schools closer to UCF, WVU and ISU.

Sep 9, 2013
I'd like to try to hold off as long as possible to try to rope in ACC schools once it gets ravaged. Would be nice to have more schools closer to UCF, WVU and ISU.
“I feel comfortable saying that the Arizona Administration would like to be in the Big 12 right now,” Scheer told SicEm365. “There are aspects to that at play. They don’t want to go alone. If Utah comes with them, that would be probably the strongest option. If Utah says ‘we’ll go to the Big 12 with you,’ that becomes a situation where they both jump at once.
“If Arizona is going to need another school to come with it, I think they’re willing to see if the Pac-12 can make it worth it for them to stay with a certain financial offer. But right now, let’s say the negotiating window closed and the offers weren’t coming in, Arizona would be gone.
I think they’re probably the most active school, from what I understand and what I’ve heard, in looking towards the Big 12.

If we get arz and Utah, id hold out for oregon and washington and call it quits from the west.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
There's a CBS Sports video out there with Dennis Dodd that alludes to the B1G not knowing what value those 4 schools (Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal) add. It's certainly not the $80-$100 million. Therefore, they won't be looking to add those schools until their new media contract expires.

Adding those four schools would put the B1G at 20 schools. You would expect the SEC to follow suit and most (me included) think their first choices are in the ACC.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
No one in the PAC is going to jump to the Big 12 with the B1G invites being a possibility. However, I'm not sure that the B1G will invite any more schools without being able to get ND. That won't hold back the 4 corners schools from acting, but how many would the B12 want to take before knowing the status of the rest of the PAC?

I think we could see some movement from a AZ/Utah or a AZ/CU to the B12, but overall this is not resolving until ND makes a decision. Just like back when the B1G moved to 14. No one wants to pull a CU and perform a premature evacuation.

Last edited:

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
There's a CBS Sports video out there with Dennis Dodd that alludes to the B1G not knowing what value those 4 schools (Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal) add. It's certainly not the $80-$100 million. Therefore, they won't be looking to add those schools until their new media contract expires.

Adding those four schools would put the B1G at 20 schools. You would expect the SEC to follow suit and most (me included) think their first choices are in the ACC.
ND plus some of those schools is the likely value increase they’re looking for. USC paid for UCLA, ND will pay for 1-3 more. If they’re looking at FSU, Miami, etc they may not want more than 1 PAC school with ND.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I think NBC is going to pony up to keep ND independent and exclusive.

My question would be if USC is willing to continue to schedule them now being in the Big10? I don’t think they will….

Maybe ND continues to have friends with benefits with the ACC….

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX

My question would be if USC is willing to continue to schedule them now being in the Big10? I don’t think they will….

Yeah, I don't think there's any way that ND joins a conference.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
ND plus some of those schools is the likely value increase they’re looking for. USC paid for UCLA, ND will pay for 1-3 more. If they’re looking at FSU, Miami, etc they may not want more than 1 PAC school with ND.
I think any mention of ACC schools is simply a red herring. There doesn't seem to be any way out of the Grant of Rights for them. IMHO, It will either be PAC schools or no one. I do however hope that the B1G moving to 20 could somehow push the SEC to take OSU, but I think it unlikely. We very well could be taken by them if it was part of a move with 2-3 top ACC schools, but I can't really see it happening now. SEC just doesn't have any options that add enough value.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX

ND is unique in that they truly have a nationwide fan and recruiting base, especially for football - their current roster has players from more than 20 states. It would be to their advantage to remain independent and play high profile teams around the country from year to year.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
They would be hard pressed to claim a national title if there are a subset or even just 1 dominant team not included in their current setup.
I disagree. They will claim a title without a second thought for an undefeated non big 2 team. The only people who would dispute it are fans of teams not in the big 2 and media taking heads trying to generate clicks on their article.