Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2004
https://www.deseret.com/2022/7/21/2...owing-salty-as-realignment-uncertainty-hovers

UCLA must travel to Big Ten territory where California law has banned state money being spent for travel and lodging in 22 states, three of which are in the Big Ten — Ohio, Indiana and Iowa.

California’s AB 1887 law cancels out those Big Ten states that the California State Legislature disagrees with politically.

The Bruins athletic department, which is $100 million in debt, will be forced to use donor/ booster or other nonuniversity (state) funds to have all of its sports teams travel to those states at a time when they are hoping for NIL money from off-campus collectives to stay competitive in recruiting. Coaches coaching games in those states will be doing so on a voluntary basis and will not be paid by state funds.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
https://www.deseret.com/2022/7/21/2...owing-salty-as-realignment-uncertainty-hovers

UCLA must travel to Big Ten territory where California law has banned state money being spent for travel and lodging in 22 states, three of which are in the Big Ten — Ohio, Indiana and Iowa.

California’s AB 1887 law cancels out those Big Ten states that the California State Legislature disagrees with politically.

The Bruins athletic department, which is $100 million in debt, will be forced to use donor/ booster or other nonuniversity (state) funds to have all of its sports teams travel to those states at a time when they are hoping for NIL money from off-campus collectives to stay competitive in recruiting. Coaches coaching games in those states will be doing so on a voluntary basis and will not be paid by state funds.

Hahaha Commifornia

Jul 31, 2008
Which means they are likely parents of college-age, or near college-age, future students. Even if that's on just in the background, it's having some effect.
Get real. If parents are using Sports Center as their basis for pick schools for their kids then I hope that they all pick Texas.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to watch all those UCLA and USC pansies head up to the snow and play a game in November. It's going to be GLORIOUS seeing them freeze their a$$ off up there having been used to the Cali perfect weather.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to watch all those UCLA and USC pansies head up to the snow and play a game in November. It's going to be GLORIOUS seeing them freeze their a$$ off up there having been used to the Cali perfect weather.
I figure it will be the opposite. Those northern teams will want a trip to SoCal in November.

Apr 13, 2021
Northern California
I don't know that the Big 12 was ever sincere in talking merger. If it was serious, there would be more involved than a few Zoom calls. I think "introductory conversations" is the most accurate. I hate it for them, but in today's $$$ environment, the Pac 12-2 is a stuck pig. It was dire enough with USC and UCLA. Now, it's really not but a half step ahead of the Mountain West and/or AAC.

And while the Big 12 isn't exactly in prime position, there was no way it could afford to take on a bunch of marginal programs and further dilute payouts. Aside from Oregon and UW, there probably isn''t a program in the PAC that the Big 12 can add that actually might bring extra dollars.

No good answers.
The part that sucks to me about UT, OU, USC, and to a a much smaller extent UCLA is their failure. These programs spent decades talking down to conference partners with budgets a fraction of their own. At every turn they bent things to their advantage and then failed to capitalize on those advantages. Now they leave and blame it on the money that they no longer attract. If OU and UT represent 50% of a Big 12 TV contract then we know where the lack of interest begins and ends. oSu, TCU, Baylor were never supposed to make the playoffs but each made strong runs while UT continued to overspend and under perform. OU was good enough to win the Big 12 but fell further and further behind on the national stage. Somehow OU and UT beating Big 12 teams was always good enough to make the playoffs, but Big 12 teams beating OU & UT wasn't worthy of CFP inclusion.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
The part that sucks to me about UT, OU, USC, and to a a much smaller extent UCLA is their failure. These programs spent decades talking down to conference partners with budgets a fraction of their own. At every turn they bent things to their advantage and then failed to capitalize on those advantages. Now they leave and blame it on the money that they no longer attract. If OU and UT represent 50% of a Big 12 TV contract then we know where the lack of interest begins and ends. oSu, TCU, Baylor were never supposed to make the playoffs but each made strong runs while UT continued to overspend and under perform. OU was good enough to win the Big 12 but fell further and further behind on the national stage. Somehow OU and UT beating Big 12 teams was always good enough to make the playoffs, but Big 12 teams beating OU & UT wasn't worthy of CFP inclusion.
THIS!!!! SMURFING.ALL.OF.THIS!!! Couldn't have said it any better. oSu, and maybe even Baylor, have been better over the last decade than UT and UCLA for sure and probably even USC... Buuuuuuuuuut because we aren't a smurfing blueblood... *crickets*

Aggravating AF... and why part of me would really just rather get away from The Annual Blueblood Invitational and do something completely different. :cursing::cursing::cursing:

Nov 29, 2021
Amarillo Texas
The USC and UCLA deal to the Big 10 will be short-lived. A few lungs knocked loose in the cold in Madison, Columbus, Ann Arbor, and State College, things will look a lot different. I don't believe the B1G to be superior to the Big 12 - I'll take the Big 12 over the Big 10 in a one-game bowl matchup - but it's a meat grinder league and you'd better have a solid 3-deep to play there. Nebraska has gotten shredded for the most part. Every season since they left, they've been the "walking wounded" by October. Keep in mind, Nebraska was in the Big 12 Championship the last two years they were in the league, and haven't been relevant since.

It is a completely different style of football than the PAC, Big 12, or ACC, and it takes many years to adjust your personnel to it. UCLA and USC will get blown out, a lot.

Aug 19, 2006
These things have a way of correcting over time. Ask Nebraska and Missouri. They're collecting big checks now but their football programs are completely irrelevant.

This move is all upside for UT. They're already irrelevant so they might as well collect a bigger check while they continue to suck.

OU on the other hand is going to experience a level set after the move. They're not going to be perennial conference champs anymore. Perhaps even an occasional losing season?? It's been a long time since they've experienced mediocracy. That will send shock waves across trailer parks throughout Sooner nation!

Aug 19, 2006
Because most teams like to have home games against marquee opponents. Not to mention they will rightfully believe they have a competitive advantage of playing those teams in the elements. I would bet tOSU and Michigan want to play them in November in the cold.
Not to mention their fans are going to want the chance to see some of those games at home. A home game vs. USC would certainly be more lucrative for Ann Arbor than a November matchup against Indiana or Rutgers.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The USC and UCLA deal to the Big 10 will be short-lived. A few lungs knocked loose in the cold in Madison, Columbus, Ann Arbor, and State College, things will look a lot different. I don't believe the B1G to be superior to the Big 12 - I'll take the Big 12 over the Big 10 in a one-game bowl matchup - but it's a meat grinder league and you'd better have a solid 3-deep to play there. Nebraska has gotten shredded for the most part. Every season since they left, they've been the "walking wounded" by October. Keep in mind, Nebraska was in the Big 12 Championship the last two years they were in the league, and haven't been relevant since.

Playing devil’s advocate again..

Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon St, Colorado, and Utah aren’t exactly what you’d consider warm weather locations.

Granted it’s not as cold as it can get in the northern Midwest, it will still get pretty chilly especially in Utah and Colorado.

Assuming 4 or 5 conference road games a year, they should only have to travel up to the “True North” at most a couple times late in the season.

I’d also point out that Nebraska played pretty well their first few seasons in the Big10. If their division was as diluted as the Big12 North was at that time, they likely would have made the first few CCGs. In fact, in the regular season, the last 5 years in the Big12 they averaged 8-4, the first 5 years in the Big10 they averaged 8-4. Very similar results. It wasn’t until recent that they started getting dump-trucked. I think it has more to do with poor coaching hires/decisions and recruiting than an increase in competition…. But hey what do I know.

Sep 12, 2008
Playing devil’s advocate again..

Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon St, Colorado, and Utah aren’t exactly what you’d consider warm weather locations.

Granted it’s not as cold as it can get in the northern Midwest, it will still get pretty chilly especially in Utah and Colorado.

Assuming 4 or 5 conference road games a year, they should only have to travel up to the “True North” at most a couple times late in the season.

I’d also point out that Nebraska played pretty well their first few seasons in the Big10. If their division was as diluted as the Big12 North was at that time, they likely would have made the first few CCGs. In fact, in the regular season, the last 5 years in the Big12 they averaged 8-4, the first 5 years in the Big10 they averaged 8-4. Very similar results. It wasn’t until recent that they started getting dump-trucked. I think it has more to do with poor coaching hires/decisions and recruiting than an increase in competition…. But hey what do I know.
It rarely get below the 40's in the winter for Washington, Oregon and Oregon St. Mostly have to worry about rain. Wazzu can get cold though.