Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Higher chances at dominance by us? Maybe that was UOs game plan all these years? Just one other good team and a whole lot of B rated teams. A few C teams. And one D team. I won’t fill in the names but I think that’s been their strategy.
ASU tv viewership is poor and AU viewership is abysmal. No good to be dominating a conference that does not generate tv$. That is what all this realignment is about.

Dec 9, 2013
stealing 4 PAC teams would be huge for big 12. Many on here were pining for a PAC invite a few months ago.

ACC will die, just not until 2030 when 6 years of rights can be bought out . for blue bloods.

teams like Pitt, Miami, etc will be looking at us for a home.
If the Big12 adds 4 PAC teams it has to speed up the demise of the ACC. Schools like Duke, Louisville, NC State and Pitt will be facing a reality of Clemson, FSU, NC, Miami and ND off to BiG & SEC. They cannot afford to be last men standing. It will be suicide to let the Big12 gobble up PAC teams knowing your conf is just a few years from being dead. Is it better to go ahead and face the reality of the blue bloods moving on and taking off for the new Big w and a little bit better $$$ or wait it out and risk being completely left out? Might not be this summer but it’s gotta be coming soon.

Sep 9, 2013
Who's your daddy?

New Big 12 average NIL (
@On3sports
) 1 West Virginia $22K 2 Texas Tech $19.2K 3 Cincy $18.2K 4 Iowa St $13.4K 5 Kansas St $11.5K 6 UCF $11.2K 7 Baylor $10.7K 8 TCU $9.9K 9 Houston $9.4K 10 Oklahoma St $9.3K 11 Kansas $7.7K 12 BYU $5.9K

Apr 7, 2006
Who's your daddy?

New Big 12 average NIL (
@On3sports
) 1 West Virginia $22K 2 Texas Tech $19.2K 3 Cincy $18.2K 4 Iowa St $13.4K 5 Kansas St $11.5K 6 UCF $11.2K 7 Baylor $10.7K 8 TCU $9.9K 9 Houston $9.4K 10 Oklahoma St $9.3K 11 Kansas $7.7K 12 BYU $5.9K
Not sure it makes sense for WVU fans to ask anyone who their "daddy" is...ever. Maybe wait until you have some kind of success at something other than expenditures.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I'd punt the four newbies over night if it meant, Both Arizona schools, Colorado, Utah, and both from Oregon and Washington. Their heads would spin I'd leave them so fast.
I don’t think the newbies have any impact on whether or not we bring in Pac12 teams, but (excluding Washington and Oregon) the only swap I would be willing to make would be UCF for Utah. The AZ’s and CU are trash.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Lived there for 10 years and still stay a couple months a year there. The huskies’ fans are sooners x100. Literally the worst. Not just in sports but in life. Walk around thinking they’re are better than most. Insufferable. And easy to spot. Makes our sooners like us in comparison.

Was there when UO paid them a visit and crushed them. God, it was so satisfying and the only time I’ve ever cheered them on.

Please say no to Huskies. Far better off with the cougs if we have to take a Washington team. They are very closely followed by the ducks in sheer assholeitry. Then Stanford. The rest are very doable in terms of fun fan bases.
I couldn’t care less what their fans are like. We need elite football programs to raise the profile of the conference and hopefully keep it viable. If anything, a snobby fan base would make it more fun beating them. We’d basically be trading the two we lost for two new ones

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
When we played at BSU there was some interest by Shrum and Hoiberg of adding BSU. I would like to see ASU, UA, BSU, Utah, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, WSU, CO, Stanford, and ND, added for 24-teams and six quads:

Division A:
NW:
WSU
UW
Oregon
Oregon State

Mountain:
Utah
BYU
CO
BSU

West:
SDS
UA
ASU
Stanford

Division B:
SW:
TCU
BU
OSU
TT

Midwest:
KSU
KU
ISU
ND

East:
WVU
Cincy
UCF
Houston

You would have media coverage over the whole USA!

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I couldn’t care less what their fans are like. We need elite football programs to raise the profile of the conference and hopefully keep it viable. If anything, a snobby fan base would make it more fun beating them. We’d basically be trading the two we lost for two new ones
I probably oversold the hate. But it really was blatant after having seen it first hand here. Lots of state rivalries are. But this one is on steroids.

My moving there, coincidentally, brought them a humbling slump bringing many to their senses. I reckon it’s that feeling of replacing UO with UO plus. Win lose or draw, you’re still wrestling with a pig.

If you went to the holiday bowl and stayed till the end, you’ll understand all you need to know about Oregon.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
NIL turns one - After a year of radical change, what happens next? (espn.com)

"At least one school, Lawrence said, is considering using QR codes on video boards to direct fans to spend money on deals with a specific player right after he or she makes a big play during a game: Throw a touchdown pass, and fans can immediately be served a way to provide you with some money."

I remember when Nolan Ryan signed the first "million dollar" baseball contract with the Houston Astros in 1979. It paid him just over a million a year for 4 years, and fans and anaylsts both said that was crazy money at the time. Flash forward and now the MLB players association is asking for the minimum player salary to be just under a million a year. I'm now waiting for the first million dollar college football player. Now that we are going down this road, I think I may see it in my lifetime - if the entire college football system doesn't break down first.

The day is coming when colleges will be forced to completely drop or totally revamp their athletic programs due to Title IX and NIL and the resulting drain on the schools' financial resources.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2006
When we played at BSU there was some interest by Shrum and Hoiberg of adding BSU. I would like to see ASU, UA, BSU, Utah, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, WSU, CO, Stanford, and ND, added for 24-teams and six quads:

Division A:
NW:
WSU
UW
Oregon
Oregon State

Mountain:
Utah
BYU
CO
BSU

West:
SDS
UA
ASU
Stanford

Division B:
SW:
TCU
BU
OSU
TT

Midwest:
KSU
KU
ISU
ND

East:
WVU
Cincy
UCF
Houston

You would have media coverage over the whole USA!
I don't think they'll get that big this quick. If the ACC falls apart after their grant of rights ends, you'll probably need to save some room in case some of their mid-tier schools like Pitt, Virginia Tech, etc. need new homes. I don't see any scenario where Oregon State, Washington State, and Cal get offers (unless it's a requirement to get another property like Oregon). Best guess is Big 12 goes to 16 like the others with whoever will take the offer and only goes to 18 if it's a bombshell program.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Colorado was in the big 12 once and decided to leave. They can rot in the mountain west conference for all I care. (Providing the PAC really does go away and I'm not convinced it will yet).

I don't mind too much picking up the other three mountain time zone teams to give us 4 (including BYU) for a nice little west pod. That would leave us room to pick up one more eastern team to make a 4 team east pod (sorry Cincy, I know you aren't really east but that's where you are in the conference).

I don't want to play games on the west coast but Oregon is easily the best available pick....which means they'll end up leaving us anyway in the next round of expansion so why pick them. I agree with others, the only way I would want Stanford is without their band. Period.

One interesting twist to all of this. IF we have enough brand and financial clout to actually pull PAC teams in, then we may not need them. And if we don't have that financial clout, I doubt we could persuade them to join anyway.

Can they increase a TV deal enough that each team receives more despite a smaller share. I don't know the answer to that but it is the only one that matters.

Lived there for 10 years and still stay a couple months a year there. The huskies’ fans are sooners x100. Literally the worst. Not just in sports but in life. Walk around thinking they’re are better than most. Insufferable. And easy to spot. Makes our sooners like us in comparison.

Was there when UO paid them a visit and crushed them. God, it was so satisfying and the only time I’ve ever cheered them on.

Please say no to Huskies. Far better off with the cougs if we have to take a Washington team. They are very closely followed by the ducks in sheer assholeitry. Then Stanford. The rest are very doable in terms of fun fan bases.
Washington State adds nothing. Oregon State adds nothing. Cal adds nothing; Stanford adds nothing (sportswise); the Arizona schools, Colorado, and probably even Utah add nothing. But, put together, especially with Washington and Oregon, they all could bring great value in different combinations. I don't care if Washington fans are a bunch of a-holes, or Oregon fans. I don't care if the West Coast teams bring with them annoying woke politics. What I do care about is OSU being relevant and in a healthy conference. Combinations of Pac-12 teams in our conference could do that.

Sep 9, 2013
big 12 needs some vision here.
take the 4 best PAC 12 schools available, to kill the PAC for good.
Save room for the eventual demise of the ACC.

i think the sec takes nc state, vt, clemson, and fsu.
i think BIG takes NC, Duke, UVA, and either miami/G tech.

big 12 should have its pick of Pitt, Wake Forest, maybe Miami, bc, syracuse, louisville.

Sep 2, 2014
Colorado was in the big 12 once and decided to leave. They can rot in the mountain west conference for all I care. (Providing the PAC really does go away and I'm not convinced it will yet).
I may be remembering wrong, but as I recall they were part of the six that had gone together and reached out to the PAC10 at the time, OSU, ou, UT, TT, CU, and aTm. Baylor started making waves that they could get it all held up with the help of some state leaders and so CU signed on the line because they would have been the one left out. Can't hardly hold that against them....after all there are plenty of other reasons to hate them.