Big 12 to meet to consider 6 new teams(PAC)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
Big problem, however: WiFi on OSU campus still sucks during home games due to capacity. Makes viewing streaming games during my tailgate tough. I will stick to my Dish Tailgater package for awhile.
Athletics is working on project to greatly improve the WiFi quality around the stadium. Not certain if it will be done in time though.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
So if I understand the math. If we take the ESPN deal we get roughly 56 million per school spread out over 7 years but if we make ouut stay until the end we'll get roughly 10-20 million per school all at once (providing the buyout goes only to current members).

Is that right? If so it's an indication of just how much money ESPN expects to make. Also, if true, it sounds like a good deal. The downside of course is letting the traitors off with no consequences...and of course selling our soul to the company store.

But that also plays on the assumption that they are mutually exclusive, like we couldn’t negotiate a Big12 network with ESPN, Fox, CBS, or others. I think we could possibly get that same deal or close with no strings attached.

pokefan05

Country Boys Country Toys
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
What we should really be asking is not do OSU or West Virginia move the needle, but how do vandy, Rutgers, Illinois, miss st, s Carolina move the needle? How can we move the needle like that? Oh so it’s ok to destroy other conferences, but not kick out your own dead weight throwing a wrench in literally the whole system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To your point, the guys on full ride just did an entire segment on how Oklahoma State is without a doubt more valuable than “Illinois, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt, etc.“ They said those schools are only still in their conference because they’ve been around since the 1890s but kicking them out isn’t realistic.

they have no doubt that Oklahoma State deserves a seat at the table and can play in those waters, especially when a true revenue share shows up and we get away from the current NIL, shuffling catastrophe that is happening right now which they say is the endgame. Just thought it was funny that right after I read your post they did an entire segment on us saying exactly the same thing.
Can’t argue with that at all, at least someone sees us as valuably as everyone should.

Where did they see this all ending up? 32 conf with promotion and relegation? Is that how they trim the fat from the big 2 conferences?

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Can’t argue with that at all, at least someone sees us as valuably as everyone should.

Where did they see this all ending up? 32 conf with promotion and relegation? Is that how they trim the fat from the big 2 conferences?

I didn't catch thoughts on how the leagues will shake out, just happened to get in car and turn it on right after I read your post and they were talking about us.

The revenue share notion was intriguing but I guess they had covered that in detail on a different show so they were just referring to that concept.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021
Amarillo Texas
It's pretty short-sighted (if not flat-out stupid) of the PAC and Big 12 not to merge. United we stand, divided we fall. Power struggles and pissing matches among a few boards over ideologies are going to cost everyone big-time. That's a shame.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
It's pretty short-sighted (if not flat-out stupid) of the PAC and Big 12 not to merge. United we stand, divided we fall. Power struggles and pissing matches among a few boards over ideologies are going to cost everyone big-time. That's a shame.
I don't want a full-on merger with the Pac12--I don't think it's necessary. We don't need the entire conference, just some of the members. I think the B12 is in a much stronger position to negotiate/wait it out if necessary, and poach (most) of the teams we want. Maybe even Oregon and Washington. I want the acquisitions to happen on the B12's terms, and not take on schools like Cal, WSU, Oregon St., etc., and get locked into playing a lot of games against weaklings in the PST time zone. Perhaps later on, even adding some ACC teams.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Speaking from my own ignorance, I think more is going on behind the scenes than we know. I’d imagine that there have been discussions.

But here’s the deal, everyone is waiting for the next shoe to drop out of the Big10/SEC. No need to rush into anything. I think schools like Oregon, Washington, OKstate would be apprehensive to rush into a new contract that would lock them in, in case there is a chance to join one of 2 super conferences. The opportunity to merge will still be here 3,6,12 months from now. But jumping too early could cost a program big time.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I'm pretty sure, $40 million is the exit fee regardless of when a school leaves, so at the minimum they will still owe that when the current GOR expires.
Exit fees are equal to 2 years distributions per school. In 21/22 the distribution was $42.6 million. If it goes up next year, we could be looking at around $90 million per school just for exit fees.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
But that also plays on the assumption that they are mutually exclusive, like we couldn’t negotiate a Big12 network with ESPN, Fox, CBS, or others. I think we could possibly get that same deal or close with no strings attached.
Full value also assumes that whatever the XII becomes that it actually survives the full 8 years to get the payout.

Dec 19, 2012
I'd love to be a trendsetter and get in on Amazon or some other streaming platform. THAT would be thinking outside the box IMO.
I agree, it's high time Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu or the like up the pot and offer live sports for a fee. That model will kill cable TV in the next 10 yrs.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Mhver3 is hit or miss with his info, but there’s this:
https://twitter.com/mhver3/status/1546978152202780673?s=21&t=u5u8yNhuzgKUUMgqZE-TOA
Tier 1 CBS, Tier 2 Fox, Tier 3 ESPN would be fascinating
https://twitter.com/mhver3/status/1546979208324415491?s=21&t=u5u8yNhuzgKUUMgqZE-TOA
Don’t care if any of this is copium…PUT IT IN MY VEINS!

But espn can kick rocks.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Run the leagues separately for a year then merge to create two divisions based on record. Each year Bottom 2 in division 1 are relegated and you have a play off in the top 4 in the bottom league for promotion.

Then you negotiate for 2 “leagues” with the TV guys. And you get 2 championships. Drives ratings for the bottom teams in division 1 and gives the bottom league additional incentive/meaning. Everyone is still eligible for bowls.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Run the leagues separately for a year then merge to create two divisions based on record. Each year Bottom 2 in division 1 are relegated and you have a play off in the top 4 in the bottom league for promotion.

Then you negotiate for 2 “leagues” with the TV guys. And you get 2 championships. Drives ratings for the bottom teams in division 1 and gives the bottom league additional incentive/meaning. Everyone is still eligible for bowls.
We shall call our league "FESPN" the two divisions shall be "FSEC" and "FBIG"

Oct 1, 2006
USA
I agree, it's high time Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu or the like up the pot and offer live sports for a fee. That model will kill cable TV in the next 10 yrs.
Amazon just went all in on the NFL, I figure one of the streamers will try to jump in at this opportune time for college football.

If we do it, I hope it’s just for Tier 3. I’m not sure having a college football conferences premiere games on a streaming island away from the other conferences on network would work.

If you’re the one conference on a streaming platform, you run the risk of getting lost. I don’t see bars across America subscribing to Apple TV to showcase Big 12 football.

Dec 19, 2012
Amazon just went all in on the NFL, I figure one of the streamers will try to jump in at this opportune time for college football.

If we do it, I hope it’s just for Tier 3. I’m not sure having a college football conferences premiere games on a streaming island away from the other conferences on network would work.

If you’re the one conference on a streaming platform, you run the risk of getting lost. I don’t see bars across America subscribing to Apple TV to showcase Big 12 football.
Something like Apple TV would be awful and very siloed. A main streaming service like Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu would give us viewership no one has access to and we as fans would flock to it.

You do make a good point though, it would be a case study. Time to innovate!

Oct 1, 2006
USA
Something like Apple TV would be awful and very siloed. A main streaming service like Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu would give us viewership no one has access to and we as fans would flock to it.

You do make a good point though, it would be a case study. Time to innovate!
It would be interesting. One note, Hulu is owned by Disney which owns ESPN so ESPN+ is integrated in the live Hulu package.